To all Rick-Steves-impaired packers...

gr'aunt

Having travelled for 30 years on motorcycles for most land based US trips, I've learned all kinds of packing tricks. I've packed for a 3 week trip in a single motorcycle luggage bag and brought home a couple of items unworn.

Now, of course I have no "formal nights" on a motorcycle, but I've learned you CAN wear clothes more than once before laundering them. I'm an early riser, so laundry isn't a problem for me - it's kind of Zen waiting for the laundry to finish in the early morning hours before everyone else is up and about. Color coordination and mix-and-match are key to packing. And it doesn't matter if others on the trip have seen you in the same outfit more than once. They've seen me in the same outfit more than once at home too, so what's the big deal?

We learned the cross-packing trick too for air travel/cruising, and to take a change of clothes in our carry on. I really appreciate having only one 26" bag and a 10" x 10" x 19" carry on to schlep through airports - it keeps the idea of "vacation" foremost in my mind.

On our last O cruise (on the Maiden Voyage of Marina) we stayed in a PH. I looked at that massive walk-in closet and the paltry line of clothes hung up in the closet, both my husband's and mine, and the two drawers for our folding items (one for each of us) and I laughed wondering in today's airline climate how someone could fill that closet. Some of you seem to still be working hard to accomplish that feat. Different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes.

However you pack, enjoy your cruise!:)

Having travelled for 30 years on motorcycles for most land based US trips, I've learned all kinds of packing tricks. I've packed for a 3 week trip in a single motorcycle luggage bag and brought home a couple of items unworn.

We are doing a 1 week trip on the bike... it has been a few years since we have done some touring so need to learn all over again to get from the 26" suitcase down to the saddlebags again:D

Everyone should try packing a motorbike ..it gives you a new perspective to packing ;)

Lyn

Great comments Gr'aunt regarding the "Rick Steves" packing method.

We are Rick Steves fans. We love Rick's insights into European countries and his general philosophy of getting past mass-market tourism. We follow his recommendations for base towns, authentic experiences and good restaurants. But we rarely follow his advice for hotels and the "carry it on your back" method of travel.

We like 4/5 star hotels, and we like to be well-dressed. These elements are integral to our enjoyment of a trip.

Here are my suggestions:

1.) Only take the advice from Rick that applies to you. He will not be there to grade your packing, nor will he be paying your bills! You are right to travel, and dress, the way you like.

2.) Don't be ashamed to be well-dressed, no matter what Rick says! You will receive better treatment everywhere you go, and you're less likely to be branded a "tacky tourist." I have never subscribed to Rick's approach of carrying a rucksack while touring, and wearing wash-it-in-the-sink camping clothes for the entire trip. Sure, these items make sense when you are hiking, or touring ruins, but what about evenings out? or if you are in a sophisticated city like Rome or Paris? You need to pack the practical stuff, and the nice stuff, too. Just plan it out carefully, per my next point.

3.) Make a plan. I always use a spreadsheet to plan exactly what to do and what clothes / gear will be required for each day, both for daytime and evening. Yes it's nerdy, but it makes for very efficient packing.

4.) Get your laundry done on the ship. It's inexpensive and efficient, and can help reduce the amount of clothes you must pack.

5.) Try to limit your luggage to what you can carry "if you had to." Yes there are porters and drivers to help, but we limit ourselves to four bags...that's what we can handle, if need be.

6.) Cross-pack a little bit, and have a change of clothes plus toiletries in your carry-on. Even if the airline succeeds in getting your luggage to your destination, sometimes the cruise lines can't get it to your room before dinner.

7.) For men...Wear your suit jacket/blazer onto the plane, rather than pack it. First off, you will save room in your luggage. A secondary benefit is that you will look better than most of the riff-raff on your flight! BTW, a dark blue suit is great space saver, because you can wear it for two formal nights, plus use the jacket as a blue blazer.

8.) If at all possible...Carry on your bags, especially if it's a short trip. We are leaving for Greece on Friday, taking the Wind Surf July 16 sailing from Athens to Istanbul. As far as luggage, we will each bring a 22" Tumi roll-aboard and an 18" duffel. All will be carried-on. And we can still look stylish.

Have a great trip,

DC

Next Cruise:

Wind Surf July 2011 Athens - Istanbul

Past Cruises:

Eclipse 2011 Western Caribbean

Equinox 2010 Eastern Med

Constellation 2010 Baltic

Solstice 2010 Caribbean

Century 2009/2010 Caribbean

Solstice 2009 Caribbean

Majesty OTS 2009 Caribbean

Navigator 2008 Caribbean

Constellation 2007 Caribbean

Serenade 2006 Caribbean

Adventure 2005 Caribbean

Brittanis Caribbean

Stella Maris Eastern Med

I love the stories and tips. We have traveled for 3 days to 3 weeks and I find you need as much for a 1 week trip as a 3 week trip.

I too pack a little of each of our clothes in all the bags (after a lost bag experience) & let my shoes/outfits do double duty. A pair of shoes or jewelery can dress up to formal or down to casual. (and usually pack a spare bag for those ever needed purchases)

I hate wasting time doing laundry so I agree the ships do a great job , but I will wash out some things and hang in the room to dry.....and drying can be a problem sometimes. That's why I always ask for extra towels. I find if after squeezing as much water out of a washed item, you lay it long ways in a towel, then fold the towel over it to create a long tube, step on one end of the towel and start twisting at the top end. Keep twisting until it is reduced to lots of knots. This sounds like you'll need lots of strength, but you don't (trust me I'm not strong). Unwrap the item & hang it to dry. The item will be almost dry & the towel will be soaked. This works really well with bathing suits!

A friend of mine has another appraoch - she travels with underwear that's got 1 more wear in them. After wearing she tosses it out & has room for her purchases.

Happy trails!

We are doing a 1 week trip on the bike... it has been a few years since we have done some touring so need to learn all over again to get from the 26" suitcase down to the saddlebags again:D

Everyone should try packing a motorbike ..it gives you a new perspective to packing ;)

Lyn

Have a great trip, Lyn. Remember to keep the rubber side down:).

This is one of the best threads I have ever read - funny and filled with great suggestions. Last winter we went on a cruise around New Zealand, only our second cruise (the first was 10 years before to Alaska), and I looked at packing guides on Cruise Critic and dutifully packed a power strip, duct tape, stickies, highlighters and many other items I never used and will never worry about again. I was able to leave a suitcase in Sydney with just cruise clothing and then figured out about cross-packing as we were going to be in hot weather spots for several weeks before traveling in much cooler Tasmania. Now, I feel even better informed for an upcoming trip to Vietnam and Cambodia and will pass on the tips to my travel companion. Thanks, everyone.

My Dad is a fairly militant "carry-on-only" guy. Several years ago I took him on a guys' trip to England... and he kept insisting that he was only going to pack a carry-on. We had several conversations about this, and about how he was going to be wasting vacation time trying to get his laundry done (our hotel didn't have self-laundry, just a comically overpriced 1-day service), and he told me that he would make up for that by not having to wait at baggage claim for a suitcase. I just started chuckling, and when he asked me what was so funny, I pointed out to him that I would be checking a bag so he'd be waiting for my luggage regardless. He paused for a second, gave me that patented "I'd like to slap the $#!* out of you" look, then laughed and started talking about all of the crazy extra stuff he was now going to pack in his giant suitcase.

I like Rick Steves too, but unless I decide to backpack across Europe, I doubt I'll ever follow his packing advice to the letter.

Sorry guys,

we are not the Oceania class of cruising, but on a recent Costa repo, Gulf to Italy, I believe 14-15 days and 4 weeks in Italy the BW and I each had a 22 inch, carry on and a small back pack. The laundry worked well on both the ship and on land.

We learned the hard hard way many years ago on a 8 month trip to Australia, I swear we even had the kitchen sink in there somewhere.

But to each his own, it took us a long time and much trial and error to reach this point. Yes we had dress clothes with us, however no suit coat just neat wash & wear and dry clean.

But who really cares!! We are cruising!!!

C&Dmich

Just off Oceania Anchorage to Vancouver - delightful experience! - but borrowed Gosford Park & witnessed the great fuss made therein over machine made lace AND wearing the same frock over three days....o deah!

If you watch GP you'll understand why you simply can't get by with one shirt & a pair of pants recycled over & over through three days, however dressed up & down. There is a limit to casual....although there will be far less fuss made over it on Oceania - which is so great.

It's all pretty wonderful on Oceania, whatever you're wearing - unless you're wearing it 3 days in a row.

I began cross packing after my husband's luggage was delayed getting to us in Barcelona precruise years ago. Also, that same cruise, an entire cart of luggage went into the water as the crew was loading it. Some received their ruined items, others never received any of theirs.

Four years ago, I found the site, www.onebag.com and have bundle wrapped ever since. We just returned last night from a fabulous 13 nights Mediterranean cruise with a pre cruise hotel and post cruise hotel. I packed two 26" bags and two 22" carryons. My husband also carried a nice sized back pack(which he used for our shore excursions). In my carryon, I pack most of my shoes and several changes of clothes for my husband and me, including swimwear and coverups, shorts, casual night, semi formal and formal(he rented the tux and shoes, freeing up more space). In his carryon is all the camera equipment, my hair and makeup items, his toiletry bag, his extra shoes and all documents. We sclepped all the luggage on the trains from Rome airport to Civitavecchia and walked on to our precruise hotel. Next morning, we walked with luggage to the ship's shuttle. We hired a shuttle service for four (2 cc friends)to the Rome airport after the cruise. For our 22 hour layover in Amsterdam, we had a hotel within walking distance of the airport post cruise.

I would probably do the same thing again...only hassle was the stairs at the train station in Civitavecchia.

I will cut back on shoes for our upcoming Bermuda cruise, as a couple of pairs were worn only once in the two weeks. My husband will take his formal wear, but this is just a week cruise with a couple of precruise nights in hotels. We won't need nearly as many clothes, but will carry the same amount of luggage(just for the "what if one bag doesn't make it?".

What was your pre cruise civitavecchia hotel and were u pleased? Also, how confusing is it to find the proper train to CV from FCO airport? Big thanks!

What was your pre cruise civitavecchia hotel and were u pleased? Also, how confusing is it to find the proper train to CV from FCO airport? Big thanks!

We stayed precruise at Hotel Miramare. It has a wonderful location, and for one night the bed is ok. It also includes a nice complimentary breakfast. I would stay there again.

For the train, the station from FCO is outside the terminal and up an escalator. Then, just follow the signs. If you have any trouble, just ask someone, and they will help. The ticket office is very easy. We bought one way tickets which transferred in Tranverse(I think is the name). The ticket agent will tell you and sell you the right tickets. Be sure to have your tickets stamped before getting on the train. It was easy except the stairs in Civitavecchia, but we managed. There was also a couple with huge back packs for all their cruise wear and a three year old in a packed stroller. They somehow managed, too!

Archived