Paying fo Airfare

Me and my DH are going on a RCCL cruise in a few months. I'm wanting to book airfare this week. We do not want to use our Credit Card as we have the cash on hand. I was curious if anyone has any experience paying for airfare with a visa debit card. I have heard that like hotels airlines put a e extra hold on the money, meaning you are charged twice for a certain amount of days. Has anyone done this recently and knows if this true. We will be flying Airtran if anyone has specific information on this for them. Thanks!

Me and my DH are going on a RCCL cruise in a few months. I'm wanting to book airfare this week. We do not want to use our Credit Card as we have the cash on hand. I was curious if anyone has any experience paying for airfare with a visa debit card. I have heard that like hotels airlines put a e extra hold on the money, meaning you are charged twice for a certain amount of days. Has anyone done this recently and knows if this true. We will be flying Airtran if anyone has specific information on this for them. Thanks!

You will have no problems. You debit card will be debited immediately.

Airlines are NOT like a hotel or rental car or cruise ship where they put a hold on your account to either cover in-room charges/phone calls/shipboard charges or to pay for damages to a rental car. A hotel should NOT put a hold on your card if you are paying in full for a hotel room in advance. They MAY put a hold on your card when you just make a reservation and there is a cancellation policy. They want to make sure they get their money if you fail to show up and there is a cancellation policy.

Most airlines will also accept Amex. We usually pay them (Amex) witin the 30 day grace period with no interest. I basically have the Amex card just for that reason. Plus you get reward points. Just sayin.............

A hotel will not charge you twice, but may put a temporary charge to cover possible costs you incur as a guest. Just like if you pay cash you are likely to have to pay a deposit, which you get back when you check out, less any charges you have incurred. This is not the case with airlines, where you have a set charge in advance. Just like paying for a movie, etc.

Am Ex is, of course, a credit card, not a debit card. I have never had a credit card where I had to pay any interest if I paid the next month's bill on time. I have an Am Ex Gold, but don't like their points program now, at least re airlines, with Continental bowing out. Seems like the only airine I might use that still is in AE's program is Delta, and they seem the stingiest regarding number of miles required for free tix. I do like the fact that my card gets me into Centurion clubs at some airports around the world.

Archived