Joining a Cruise "In Progress" Can you do it?

Kaylas Mom

Does anyone know if Princess has a policy about joining a cruise at one of its port-of-calls rather than the embarkation point.

Here's our situation. We're looking for a Hawaii cruise next easter (2006) Usually, there are some 10 or 11-day one-ways to/from the West Coast.

There don't seem to be ANY one-ways on ANY cruise line next easter. We are looking at the Celebrity Summit and the Island Princess (which we are booked on for Alaska this summer). The Island is our top choice, but it departs Los Angeles three days before we want to depart because of school. Could we join the ship at its first port-of call (Honolulu) for its cruise of the islands and then back to LA? (In other words, do 10 days of a 15-day cruise)

To me, this seems reasonable and do-able, therefore it's probably not. If you agree it's possible, am I better off booking and THEN trying to get Princess to let me do it, or shall I explain up front? Advice?

(Oh, and if anyone wants to comment on the Summit vs. the Island Princess, I am all ears! I am especially interested in impressions of the kids' programs.)

THANKS!

I would look into this before booking the cruise just to make sure. If they allow it, you will probably end up paying the full fare for the cruise, even though you will be joining it late. These Hawaii cruises seem to book up quite fast so I wouldn't wait too long to place my enquiry.

Best of Luck, hope it all works out for you.

My guess is that it would not be allowed because of the archaic Passenger Services Act. You would not be making a round trip voyage; instead you will be traveling between two US ports on a foreign-flagged vessel.

Now, if you just happened to be late for embarkation and caught up at the first port-of-call, that might be a different story. Interesting question. I am curious what Princess would say about this.

Kaylas Mom, first let me say that I don't know the answer to your question.....but I think it would be very difficult to do what you want for two reasons:

1. Most cruises around holidays are sold-out (or nearly so) these days. As long as the cruise line can get someone to pay for 15 days onboard (and the gambling, drinks and souvenir sales that go with the extra 5 days) why would they give cabin space to someone for just 10 days.

2, Security concerns: If they had passengers coming onboard or leaving at every port the security, baggage screening and baggage handling logistics would be a nightmare for them.

The only times that I'm aware of when passengers have been allowed to join a cruise 'in-progress' have been either when the person missed the ship at embarkation (after having paid the full cruise fare) or on some cruises where 2 embarkation (or disembarkation) ports had been specified. For example an Alaskan cruise that starts in San Francisco, then stops in either Seattle or Vancouver (the 2nd embarkation port) before continuing to Alaska.

But I wish you luck in trying to find a cruise that fits your needs.

It could very well depend on when the ship is scheduled to make its mandatory stop in Ensenada, to comply with the US Passenger Services Act.

Of course, if you were not a US citizen, a whole different set of rules comes into play.

I personally wouldn't book it until Princess gave me a definitive answer and price.

Kaylas Mom, I re-read your original post and saw that you were not trying to just purchase 10 days out of a 15 day cruise.

If you planned to book the full 15 days of the cruise and then just "happened" to miss the ship at embarkation, I suspect that you would be allowed to join the cruise at the first port call. But that seems pretty costly just to save 3 days of school.....you would be paying for 5 days of cruise time that you wouldn't use and you would have to purchase one-way tickets to Honolulu to meet the ship.

Very expensive.....but probably possible.

Kaylas Mom-Thanks! We have sailed on the Legend of the Seas twice before, that is why we knew we would love to sail on her again. Last cruise was in 2000 and previous was in 1999. We have actually sailed for 37 days on her before. But glad to hear she is still what we remember.

Best of luck on getting the info on joining that ship late.........................I would still call the cruise line personally to find out what they have to say about this. As Rob said, IF the ship has a stop in Ensenada, that could make all the difference whether they will let you board in Honolulu or not.

Thanks guys -- I will try calling and let everyone know what they say. You're right, I am willing to pay for the whole cruise -- the prices are not bad at all, compared to a 7-day cruise so I guess I am feeling generous.

I am sorry to admit, it isn't just school. It's my job, too. I am a great big wimp, but I am scared to ask for more than two weeks off. (the Island princess will mean two weeks, plus three days) I have one of those bosses that doesn't like to travel and questions why anyone else wants to.

Anyway, thanks!

I hope it works out. You can also look into NCLA's Hawaii cruises - it's not Princess, but it's a cruise vacation, so maybe it would fit your timing restrictions. I sympathize with having a boss that doesn't travel. I have one of those, too.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the NCL suggestion. I did look at that (even though I had sworn after our last NCL Hawaii cruise that I would never do it again) but 7 nights on NCL is only $1000 less than 15 nights on the Island Princess. Staying even a few nights on land in Hawaii would cost more than that.

I think I am going to end up going for the Celebrity Summit. It fits the schedule better, although I will miss the BIG Princess BA balcony and Personal Choice. Has anyone been on both and can make me feel better?

Unfortunately, I kind of suspect that since it's Hawaii, that you won't be allowed to. I remember on our R/T LA > Hawaii > LA cruise last year, that they stressed over and over again not to miss the ship at any port in Hawaii. If you did, the ship would be penalized and you would be fined. Even though our "foreign" port was Ensenada, just before we got back to LA, this (whatever it is) regulation was in effect. It never hurts to ask.

I beleive the "official" answer from Princess will be no because of the Passenger Servicess Act. On roundtrip cruises you have to make a stop at any non-US port (in this case Ensenada.) However for a one way trip beginning at one US port and ending in another US port you are required to make a stop at a "distant" foreign port, which for the most part is defined as any non-US port except those in Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and a few others. This is why the one way cruises usually either begin or end in Ensenada or Vancouver (since you are not embarking in one US port and disembarking in another US port the PSA does not apply.)

If you were to "somehow" miss embarking in LA and have to fly to Hawaii to join the ship they'd probably let you on by paying the government fine. Of course as others have pointed out you're paying for and missing 1/3rd of your cruise!

Guest Snorkelbunny

I doubt that Princess would allow you to embark anywhere other than Los Angeles because of the Jones Act where a foreign flagged ship cannot embark and disembark passengers in two different US cities without stopping at a distant port like that island NCl stops at or Aruba if you were to sail in the Caribbean. This isn't a Princess decision, but something they have to comply with or they have to pay a fine. My co-worked did this cruise in late 2004 and she said they were warned very seriously not to dare miss re embarking the ship at any port in Hawaii or they would be finding another way home! I wouldn't even risk it.

So with the Island Princess, if she gets on in Hawaii, goes thru the Ensenada stop, wouldn't that fulfill that act? I thought the warnings (I read the patters that desert nurse posted that had all those warnings) were concerning passengers that didn't get back on in Hawaii and thus missed the foreign port (Ensenada). Is this confusing or what?

Archived