Disembark Kiel Quickly - Possible?

lonepeak

Our cruise ship, The Pacifica, disembarks Kiel on a Sunday at 0800. Our best/cheapest train to our next destination (Copenhangen) departs at 0845. Could we make that? I realize this is extremely tight and would never try to make such a short connection, but the alternatives are some hours later and much more costly (expecially with 4 of us).

If anyone has Costa experience where you needed to be off the ship literally at the start of disembarking, I would love some feedback as to whether or not it worked. I asked my (German) TA as well and am waiting for a response, but I wanted some first hand experience as well.

08:00? Are you sure this is the disembarcation and not the ships arrival time?

If it is arrival time, then time the ships is cleared via customs/immigration services it could be upto an hour later.

Even if it is disembarcation time (you will have to take all your luggage with you) then you will have to go through German customs and passport control, get a taxi to the station. Even that is cutting it very fine.

Then there is the possibility that the ship arrives later than planned (or earlier).

Check with Costa German what the 08:00 actually is.

Why put yourself under pressure stress at the end of a cruise, you have spent 000s of € on a cruise and at then end try to save some money.

I see that the train actually leaves at 08:44 from Kiel with only 1 change, others you have to change 2 ro 3 times with luggage. There is another train (with only 1 change) that leaves at 12:44 (looks like same price as 08:44). Why not get the later train (with certainty), have a relaxing breakfast on board without having to cart your own luggage around.

Here is the link I was looking at from German Railways:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/dn?ld=96243&seqnr=4&ident=e1.03186243.1310387623&rt=1&rememberSortType=minDeparture&REQ0HafasScrollDir=1

Ron

The TA got back to me and said it's 2 hours after arrival to exit ship, so that answers that.

I agree the 1244 train would be ideal, but on our date (21 Aug) there are no special rates left...other than 1st class for ~ €100 each (ouch). I guess we will have to take the 1444 train (€50 each) instead and will have to kill some extra time in Kiel.

Thanks for the feedback.

Archived