Snorkle in Caribbean - Shortie Wetsuit or Full?

SantaAna,CA

Hi, I am a diver who developed a lung issue (and I'm also getting up there, turning 60 real soon, *lol*), who will no longer be able to scuba. I'm planning a Caribbean cruise in late November, and wondered if I would look terribly silly wearing my full wetsuit, or should I invest in a shortie. I sort of don't want to buy a new wetsuit, but a full wetsuit might be a bit too much?

I was diving in St. Bart's a couple of years ago, and there were some snorklers on the boat.....they got in the water amidst jellyfish and came back stung, all of them. I felt badly for them (no protection, that's why I'm wondering if a full wetsuit is not a bad idea).

Too warm with a full suit? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Jane

We bought shortie wet suits at Bass Pro Fishing Shops for under $80.

I doubt if you need full wet suit in Carib. but I don't think anybody would bat an eye if you did wear one. If you are going on a group excursion I think it would be hard to get into the suit as the boats looked pretty crowded to me and not a place for putting it on. JMHO

A wide open question with a lot of variables.

Are you cold natured? Where will you be diving? What is the temperature at that location during your cruise? What thicknesses of wetsuits do you currently have? Etc.

In the summer, I use either a full skin, 3mm henderson shortie, or nothing at all other than a t-shirt and swimsuit.

I have dove in November and February and used a 1 mm full suit or a 3mm shortie. Depended on the number of dives I had made that week. 6-8th dive involves the 3mm shortie. My 3mm full was too hot for me. My daughter always uses a 3/2 full suit whenever she dives the carribean. She gets cold easy.

hope this helped. I think anything thicker than 3mm would be way too hot.

In my experience, the Western Caribbean in November, there is no need for a wetsuit. We were in our swimsuits and didn't have a problem. We do have rash guards (short sleeve) for our next cruise, but that's more for sun protection than water temp.

May 5, 2010 Cayman Island water temp 79 deg 3/2 full wet suit Cold

May 6, 2011 Coz water temp 80 deg 3/2 full wet suit Cold

November 2011

St Thomas water temp aprox 80 deg 2 mm hooded vest + 3/2 full = hopefully warm.

Grand Turk water temp aprox 80 deg 2 mm hooded vest + 3/2 full = hopefully warm

and yes I dive cold water like lake michigan where it is 40+ deg below 60'

it all depends on the person :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Low tech snorkeling solution: I never wanted to invest in a wetsuit but love to snorkel. So, I wear a polypropylene long sleeved shirt. Last cruise was from close to home leaving more packing options, so I borrowed a shorty wetsuit just to see how it would work. I discovered that the shirt kept me just as warm and was a lot easier to clean up, etc. I also have a pair of polypro tights which I can wear. The shirt and tights are black so they don't look too stupid. They do a great job of keeping me warm and keep me from getting sunburned. They also are easy to clean and take up very little suitcase space. I got both on clearance for a total of around $25.

Archived