Help - Car seat and Hotel Precruise Fort Lauderdale

JTS_NCL_FEB

I am arriving in Fort Lauderdale from NY at 1:30am the day of the cruise. I am traveling with my 1 year old son. There are 5 adults s and the one child in my group.

I am going back and forth about bringing the Car seat. If the hotel has a shuttle from the airport I don't think I can use it anyway. I won't need it on the cruise.

If I take a cab can I use the car seat?

I am looking for a hotel that is close to the port with a shuttle and close to shopping. I would like to buy the diapers, etc... the day of the cruise so I don't have to travel with them.

All input is welcome.

I can't help with the carseat question but we did find a great deal at the Sleep Inn & Suites FtL. It is a newer indoor coridoor hotel that has received decent reviews. It is located next to a Walgreens and across the street from a Publix supermarket shopping center. The hotel offers a free breakfast and airport and port shuttle. One other good thing is that we could get a king suite for the same price as a regular hotel room elsewhere. If you have AAA or anyother type of discount it can save you some $$. Here is the hotel link if you want to check rates. http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-dania-florida-FL664?sid=xCl_2g.MF5urg1sj.8&sarea=&sname=dania&sstate=FL&scountry=US&sradius=&slat=26.041948&slon=-80.146782&schain=Z&exp=&scity=&sort=&type=&map=n&nadult=1&nchild=0&city_code=AQQ&sstate_country

Good luck.

Look at the Embassy Suites - big rooms, great free breakfast, very close to the port, and a shopping center within walking distance to buy supplies.

I would bring the car seat - you'll need it for the cab ride to the port and may be able to use it on the flight. Whatever hotel you choose double check to see that their shuttle is running at 1:30 AM (I'm never using your travel agent! :rolleyes:) or you could be forced to use a cab.

Good luck! :)

JohninDC - I am the TA. I booked a 9:30pm flight out of NY with the thought the baby would sleep the entire flight. I land at 12:30am.

Good luck - no matter what the time of day my kids never slept on a flight. :o

you can leave it at home, rent a car from hertz in FLL, they have promotions often for free infants car seats...

I am not convinced that renting a car at 1:30 AM when you will be on the ship by about noon the same day is a good plan. :confused:

I am not convinced that renting a car at 1:30 AM when you will be on the ship by about noon the same day is a good plan. :confused:

whoops, didn't see the time the OP came in...yeah, no rental that late, LOL

• 4 weeks later...

I still haven't booked a hotel. I need help.

There are 5 adults and 1 child in my group. I will be booking two rooms. I am looking for something that has a free shuttle to the port and is less then $100. I don't need anything fancy since we will be getting to hotel at 1am and going to the port at 11am.

I would like to be close to a kmart or something comparable so I can pick up diapers the day of the cruise.

HELP.

I still haven't booked a hotel. I need help.

There are 5 adults and 1 child in my group. I will be booking two rooms. I am looking for something that has a free shuttle to the port and is less then $100. I don't need anything fancy since we will be getting to hotel at 1am and going to the port at 11am.

I would like to be close to a kmart or something comparable so I can pick up diapers the day of the cruise.

HELP.

The problem with hotel shuttles is that some of them do not run all night in which case you will have to take a cab. If I were you I would ditch the idea for traveling late so your baby can sleep on the plane (seldom do they) and take an early flight when the hotel shuttle will be avaliable.

a few hotels have 24hr shuttle:

Homewood Suites

Fairfield inn

Hilton airport

Holiday Inn Express-Convention Center

Sheraton airport

I don't know the cost of any of these hotels or whether they arre near any shopping, I just know they advertise a 24 hr airport shuttle.

you can leave it at home, rent a car from hertz in FLL, they have promotions often for free infants car seats...

They might have promotions, but go take a look at the family board for the horror stories about car rental companies saying they'll have a seat then don't have one, have one the wrong size/expired/recalled etc. I've always brought my own seats despite the companies assuring me they weren't needed, and they NEVER had one. Bring your own, you know how to install it and your child is more likely to sleep in it on the plane. (Contrary to most posts here, my kids do sleep on airplanes, DS2 is at 100% success when inand I attribute this completely to his car seat!)

You will be able to use the car seat in a hotel shuttle, they often just have lap belts which suit a car seat installation just fine. If you end up using a cab, you will be able to install it there too. Once on the ship, stick it on the floor of a cupboard and forget about it.

Archived