Flying into Orange County for cruise- hotel and transportation question

sjram

We are flying into Orange County for our Disney cruise. We are a family of 6 and looking into our options for where to stay the night. I am debating between staying in OC or close to the port but then I have to consider the transportation issue between the airport, hotel, and the port. We don't plan on doing much in the area, just as long as we can walk somewhere to get something to eat. If we stay in OC we can hang out on the beach possibly. Any advice on what transportation options I have and what would be best for our family of 2 adults, 4 kids? I have considered finding a hotel that has a shuttle, doing the Super Shuttle, or renting a car. I think the rental car may be out because there is not a convenient place to drop the car without paying a huge fee. I appreciate any help or advice anyone can give. My head is spinning and overwhelmed from thinking of all the options and details!

We are flying into Orange County for our Disney cruise. We are a family of 6 and looking into our options for where to stay the night. I am debating between staying in OC or close to the port but then I have to consider the transportation issue between the airport, hotel, and the port. We don't plan on doing much in the area, just as long as we can walk somewhere to get something to eat. If we stay in OC we can hang out on the beach possibly. Any advice on what transportation options I have and what would be best for our family of 2 adults, 4 kids? I have considered finding a hotel that has a shuttle, doing the Super Shuttle, or renting a car. I think the rental car may be out because there is not a convenient place to drop the car without paying a huge fee. I appreciate any help or advice anyone can give. My head is spinning and overwhelmed from thinking of all the options and details!

With just one night, I'd head straight to San Pedro...

A dedicated (not shared) shuttle will cost $87 plus tip on Prime Time Shuttle, $115 plus tip on Super Shuttle (may not be exact, I did an arbitrary search on their websites)...

Stay at either the Crowne Plaza San Pedro or the Doubletree San Pedro...both have free shuttles to the pier...There are more restaurants immediately around the Crowne Plaza, but the Doubletree is in a quieter location near the water...There is a beach walking distance from the Doubletree...and they will shuttle you to area restaurants for free, so, with the kids, that may be a choice...

Most places you might stay in the OC might require two shuttles...and still hard to find a great deal at a beach...and you'd have to deal with the hassle of getting TO the pier the morning of the cruise...less stress staying in San Pedro...

Critical info missing (or at least I didn't see it): what time does your flight arrive, and what time does your cruise depart?

Going to the beach (e.g., Huntington Beach, Newport Beach) would be out of your way and require extra cost for shuttle or cab. Maybe you could rent a car. Have you booked your flights yet? LAX is actually closer to the Port of Los Angeles than is SNA. Lots of hotel options near LAX (we usually booked through Hotwire or Priceline, but you can sometimes get good deals booking directly, especially on weekends). Possibly less expensie than staying near the port, though staying near the port would have some benefits in the way of convenience.

Thank you so much! We booked the flight to OC because that is where other family is and I was thinking we could all be together but as I gave it more thought, we will all be together the whole week of the cruise! :) We are from northern California so we don't need to do any sightseeing since we have been down that way so many times in the past. I really appreciate the information about the hotels and shuttles Bruin Steve. I don't want to take multiple shuttles because that adds up fast for six people and I'd rather spend that money on something fun! Thanks again!

The points about San Pedro and hotels are good. Alternative- if you're arriving into SNA on Friday or Saturday, there are a lot of business hotels right around the airport. You can often get great weekend rates.

That said, things are rather spread out and you may need to get a taxi or hotel courtesy van to get to restaurants, shopping, etc. South Coast Plaza is about 2 miles from SNA...it's the regional mega-mall (actually about 5 malls on adjacent blocks). There's everything from Target to Cartier. You can also see what's playing at Segerstrom Hall (formerly OC Performing Arts Center). A pretty wide array of stuff to do within a 5 mile radius of SNA depending on your interests.

From Bruin Steve:

A dedicated (not shared) shuttle will cost $87 plus tip on Prime Time Shuttle, $115 plus tip on Super Shuttle (may not be exact, I did an arbitrary search on their websites)...

Everytime I always check both Super Shuttle and Prime Time Shuttle. They provide the same service, but everytime, Prime Time is substantially cheaper ...?

I noticed your comment about one-way drop fees for rental cars. Generally, you can pick up rental cars and drop them off at another LA metro area location without a one-way fee. Exceptions are many of the "neighborhood" or "local edition" type of offices that aren't part of the national franchise pool. All the major rental companies are at SNA (renting is very quick and easy). Others on this board are more familiar with what's available around San Pedro for drop-off. I'd find that out first and then get rates from the SNA location.

Archived