NOLA hotel suggestions

hlb76

We are getting closer to our cruise so we need to lock in our hotel...

We are traveling in Oct in a group of 8 ages 11-35 so we need a safe kid friendly place to stay. I have read great things about Drury so am leaning towards that route but am open to other suggestions. And any advice on how to book? I normally book online through the hotel but I know many have had great luck booking through TA web sites.

Any help would be great...thanks in advance!

I am staying at the Place D'armes. I have an interior room for 59.00 a night. (2 doubles). It is located at the corner of Jackson Square a very convenient location! They are really nice too. The have agreed to let me park my car early and hold my luggage; since , we will be in around noon and check in is 4:00. Check it out. The court yard and pool are beautiful.

There are a number of mid-range hotels in the area near the cruise ship docks (Embassy Suites, Residence Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, etc). These are convenient for the cruise ship docks, but less so for the French Quarter and other New Orleans attractions.

There are many hotels along Poydras St. including the Drury Inn that is often mentioned on these boards. These hotels are convenient both to the docks and the Quarter, being about midway between the two. The Hilton Riverside on Poydras right at the river is a very convenient location for both, but it's also a very large, very busy convention hotel.

There are several large hotels on Canal St. including the Sheraton, Marriott, Ritz, Crowne Plaza. These hotels are right on the border of the French Quarter and convenient for that area, but further from the cruise docks.

Finally, there are the hotels in the Quarter itself. Obviously, with them you pay for the location, but it you want to be in the middle of the action (all night sometimes!) then this is where you should stay.

With all these areas except for the first I mentioned, you would use a taxi or shuttle bus to get from the hotel to the cruise dock. You might still need a taxi or shuttle from the hotels near the cruise docks if you have a lot of luggage or don't want to make a multi-block walk in the heat, dragging your bags.

I am dubious about the hotel brokerage websites, such as hotels.com and the like...you will have less control over where you end up staying with them, and some people have had terrible experiences as a result. I would suggest picking the hotel you want, then reserving directly with them over their website or on the phone. Remember that New Orleans is busy, busy place, year round, so book well in advance!

Last fall we stayed at the : Holiday Inn NEW ORLEANS WEST BANK TOWER 275 Whitney Ave, Gretna, LA 70053 (504) 366-8535

They let us park for free while we cruised. ( just let them know when you call) They were so nice, the rooms were clean. We just hopped a cab and caught our cruise and we came back our car was there, no problems.

No, its not right in New Orleans, but it was a few minute drive to get to Burbon street and we drove around sight seeing the day before.

Hope this give you another choice...

We are flying in to NOLA for the Spirit in Mid-October. We were able to book THE NOLA Marriott (Canal St) through NCL including tips/tax and tfrs to the ship for $179 per nite.

Whem you consider the tax, and 7pp to the port via taxi the rate is quite reasonable. There are a few other hotels that NCL offers in and close to the quarter.

Got the Marriott Canal St for $99 this year. Stayed at Marriott Convention Center last year for $89. Last few years both of the Marriott's have stayed well below $100 for two. Like Canal St because it's handy for everything and very nice. Less than 5 minutes to the ship.

Archived