Eat at your own risk on Carnival Legend

fonrouge82

Personally, I think OP deserves more than a 'sorry' and some chocolate covered strawberries.

Me too, I can't imagine!! OP hasn't said whether they required medical attention, but I'm assuming they did? Either way it's just awful, a pretty traumatic thing to have happen to anyone:(

I hope the OP doesn't have any blood issues with their clotting since that really could have been very serious (like my Mom who is on Coumadin).

Not saying it's CCL's fault, however, sometimes a bit more than a verbal "sorry" can go a long way (I know, that even a note from the Hotel Director - if I didn't need medical services, etc.) would have been appreciated since it would mean, to me, that they took the situation seriously and the command chain of food services all were in the loop.

Hope OP is doing OK now!

I think it's great to give others a heads-up about things like this. Just another thing to be aware of.

They apologized, but then you said there was NOTHING they could do. However, I'm just curious about what you wanted them to do? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious about what you think think they SHOULD have done?

Oh my, I hope you are healed up! Accidents happen everywhere, but it surprises me that you didn't receive a letter of apology or something to say they were sorry. One thing keeps going through my mind...what if a small child had bit into that (it gives me shivers thinking about that!) It's too bad this has "burned" your future cruising with Carnival. We're heading out on our 8th cruise and cannot say enough good things about all of our past Carnival cruises.

A letter of apology would have been admitting that Carnival did something wrong. No way will they put anything in writing that can be used against them in court.

A letter of apology would have been admitting that Carnival did something wrong. No way will they put anything in writing that can be used against them in court.

Actually, there are very clever ways to say you will look into situations without ever admitting to one single thing (or even the "issue" in question).

I undestand that stuff happens...I cook a lot and I have rinsed lettuce to find a bug after risning and using the salad spinner (Romain lettuce is notorious for this)...but glass?? That bothers me.

If I break anything like glass while I am cooking, anywhere near the food, the food I am preparing will go immediately into the trash if there is any possibility that any glass got in there. I would expect any restaurant to do the same...including cruise ships.

Wow- this is surprising. I would contact John Heald and let him know. On my last cruise the waiter accidentally knocked over a glass of wine on my dress on formal night, and even though I was fine and so was the dress I had an OBC show up on my acct the next day (I had no idea they were going to do that).

How is your mouth?

I'm sorry this happened to you. An injury can put a damper on a nice vacation!

I once had a large piece of glass in a chicken taco at Chili's. They apologized. That's all I got. I didn't even get the meal free.

It can happen anywhere, even your own kitchen. This will not keep me from going to Chili's or sailing again.

I sailed with my family last week (July 3-10) on Carnival Legend. Everything was fabulous until our 5th day. I was eating breakfast on the Lido Deck, bit into a pancake and a shard of glass went through my tongue. Upon pulling it out of my tongue, my tongue began to bleed profusely. I covered 2 cloth napkins in blood. I was told by Carnival that it was an unfortunate accident and that they apologized. Beyond an apology though, there is NOTHING that they will do. Has anyone had a similar experience with Carnival? Guest Services were the rudest people I have ever dealt with. This was my fourth Carnival cruise....but it will be my last.

Sorry to hear you got cut.

Sense they did not do anything for you I vote that the next Carnival ship be called the "Fonrouge82" in honor of your injury.

I have to admit, that a lot of people come on this board and complain about trivial things and expect a free cruise or something. Though I don't think a free cruise was in order here either, I do think something more than a "sorry" would have been in order. Treating the wound is obligatory, but a gesture of sort would have been proper.

Heck, I bought a veggie tray from my grocery and it had a old date on it and I didn't realize it when I picked it up. I took it back the next day just to exchange it. I simply said that I didn't check the date on it and it was really my fault. The manager was highly apologetic and said, "It shouldn't have been on the self in the first place." He left me pick out another one with more veggies in it for my time spent having to come back. My point isn't that my veggies are comparable to this situation, but it seemed like my local grocery manager was more concerned and willing to fix my problem than Carnival.

That being said, though people are trained to handle these situations on the cruise ships, it doesn't mean that they each handle it a little differently. Where one guest manager might have sent strawberries, another might have thought a simple, "sorry" and medical care was enough. I don't think I'd judge a whole fleet on one managers thought process.

If it were me? (being that I was concerned) I probably would have taken a picture of the glass, the food, my tongue and everything. If the ship didn't take care of it there, I would have just sent a letter with the pictures to corporate explaining that as a loyal Carnival customer that I felt this incident was not handle correctly.

This is 100% Carnival's fault and there is no excuse for anything to be in the food other than the food itself.

As was previously posted. Anytime there is glass breakage near food, ALL of the food should be thrown out.

I think more than an apology would have made the OP feel better, and at least like they cared about the injury. As long as they provided medical treatment Carnival did what they needed to do, but sometimes how we feel about an incident is based on the level of concern displayed by those treating us. It would have been smart for Carnival to do a bit extra in this case.

Now... about the spider almost going in the mouth thing. Good that it didn't happen to me. I'm not crazy about spiders and I HATE being surprised by them. I would have been turning over dining tables and pulling other diners shoes off trying to kill the thing instead of having the presence of mind to trap it under glass. In fact, I probably would have shot about 10 feet in the air and passed out when I saw it to begin with. I have to say I wouldn't have been interested in the replacement fruit plate, for sure. :o

I think more than an apology would have made the OP feel better, and at least like they cared about the injury. As long as they provided medical treatment Carnival did what they needed to do, but sometimes how we feel about an incident is based on the level of concern displayed by those treating us. It would have been smart for Carnival to do a bit extra in this case.

Now... about the spider almost going in the mouth thing. Good that it didn't happen to me. I'm not crazy about spiders and I HATE being surprised by them. I would have been turning over dining tables and pulling other diners shoes off trying to kill the thing instead of having the presence of mind to trap it under glass. In fact, I probably would have shot about 10 feet in the air and passed out when I saw it to begin with. I have to say I wouldn't have been interested in the replacement fruit plate, for sure. :o

Cracked me up! I'm with you :eek: lol

I can not understand all the fuss over this subject. Yes, it was bad what happened to the OP, but just imagine if you was having a party and had several friends helping prepare foods and accidentally glass was in a dish. If this person is cut, do you now owe them some strawberries, wine or a check for $50 to say sorry, or would you feel that asking to cover their medical expenses and a hug would suffice? Just because it's a large corporation, people think they owe them something.

I can not understand all the fuss over this subject. Yes, it was bad what happened to the OP, but just imagine if you was having a party and had several friends helping prepare foods and accidentally glass was in a dish. If this person is cut, do you now owe them some strawberries, wine or a check for $50 to say sorry, or would you feel that asking to cover their medical expenses and a hug would suffice? Just because it's a large corporation, people think they owe them something.

Fair assessment, but not quite the same. Your friends aren't paying you to have dinner. Money changes everything. Not something I totally agree with, but its the way of the world. You also don't have health codes you have to follow in your personal kitchen, though I'm sure you do cook very safely. No insult intended.

I can not understand all the fuss over this subject.

Their is no fuss. The OP just shared his/her experience and to warn people.

Carnival didn't have to do anything other than apologize and attend to the wound? Maybe so, but the cruiseline's response is one of the factors in deciding which cruiseline one wants to sail with. Hence, the OP decided he/she is not sailing Carnival anymore. Based on some of the responses here, it seems that there are other cruiselines out there that show more concern in these cases; and if this is what the OP wants, let him/her be.

Fair assessment, but not quite the same. Your friends aren't paying you to have dinner. Money changes everything. Not something I totally agree with, but its the way of the world. You also don't have health codes you have to follow in your personal kitchen, though I'm sure you do cook very safely. No insult intended.

Totally agree

I think it's great to give others a heads-up about things like this. Just another thing to be aware of.

They apologized, but then you said there was NOTHING they could do. However, I'm just curious about what you wanted them to do? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious about what you think think they SHOULD have done?

Okay, how about another question?

If this had happened to a guest in your home, what would you do?

Somehow, "Hey sorry about that. Sometimes that stuff happens" just does not seem quite gracious or sufficient.

This is 100% Carnival's fault and there is no excuse for anything to be in the food other than the food itself.

As was previously posted. Anytime there is glass breakage near food, ALL of the food should be thrown out.

Sometimes depending on where it comes from it may have glass in it from the supplier and just wasn't noticed by the person preparing the food.

This is why alot of restaurants don't allow fake nails and the people preparing the food are not allowed to wear any jewelry, less risk of something falling into it.

I sailed with my family last week (July 3-10) on Carnival Legend. Everything was fabulous until our 5th day. I was eating breakfast on the Lido Deck, bit into a pancake and a shard of glass went through my tongue. Upon pulling it out of my tongue, my tongue began to bleed profusely. I covered 2 cloth napkins in blood. I was told by Carnival that it was an unfortunate accident and that they apologized. Beyond an apology though, there is NOTHING that they will do. Has anyone had a similar experience with Carnival? Guest Services were the rudest people I have ever dealt with. This was my fourth Carnival cruise....but it will be my last.

Well, since you know there is nothing they will do, what did *YOU* ask them to do for you that was turned down?

I've also had issues with guest services, it usually stems from someone (me, the other person) being unreasonable.

Somehow, "Hey sorry about that. Sometimes that stuff happens" just does not seem quite gracious or sufficient.

I can see why the OP is upset. I'd be shaken up. The OP could have been killed if they accidentally swallowed the glass. I'd be shaken up too. I think the post above sums it up well. A simple I'm sorry doesn't seem sufficient. It may have been an accident, but things could haven turned out way worse. They need to be more careful in the kitchen and they need to find a better way to make this up to the OP... the OP could have been killed or seriously injured. OP I hope you're okay!

This could have also turned into something a lot more serious if the OP had swallowed the glass. Luckily for her AND CARNIVAL nothing serious happened. Many on this thread seem to be missing the point of the post. Some of you need to take the rose colored glasses off and look at this without waving the pom-poms. Cruise lines are not perfect. If this had happened to you, I bet you would be singing a much different tune. :rolleyes:

This could have also turned into something a lot more serious if the OP had swallowed the glass. Luckily for her AND CARNIVAL nothing serious happened. Many on this thread seem to be missing the point of the post. Some of you need to take the rose colored glasses off and look at this without waving the pom-poms. Cruise lines are not perfect. If this had happened to you, I bet you would be singing a much different tune. :rolleyes:

While I agree you most definitely have a point, I think I'm most alarmed by the amount of people who see that is a chance to cash in. Granted, most of the calls for pecuniary damages in this thread have been rather modest, and I would day proportional to the damage suffered. But both the reaction of the cruiseline and the reaction of people here is indicative as to what a litigious society we live in.

That is what liability insurance is for. You apologize then offer to get medical help if needed and at the very least offer to pay for it. But very different than happening in a place of business. CCL should at the very least offered a $50.00 OBC or free meal in the steak house or some type of freebies without going overboard.

Archived