Arrrrgggg

cruiserguy11

I received the PADI course book and other stuff in a packet. The book is 250 pages and I had 10 days to learn it. So at 25 pages per day I was doing OK. I was on schedule until today on around page 200 it said to go to the dive tables (included) and read the instruction book. This wasn't expected in my time allowance and I have to be ready for this Sat AM.

I used to be reasonably bright in my younger years but time has worn out my gray matter. I'm over my head and I believe it's officially exploded from trying to understand.

Sorry, I just need to vent and get away from those tables. :confused:

All sympathy accepted.

I received the PADI course book and other stuff in a packet. The book is 250 pages and I had 10 days to learn it. So at 25 pages per day I was doing OK. I was on schedule until today on around page 200 it said to go to the dive tables (included) and read the instruction book. This wasn't expected in my time allowance and I have to be ready for this Sat AM.

I used to be reasonably bright in my younger years but time has worn out my gray matter. I'm over my head and I believe it's officially exploded from trying to understand.

Sorry, I just need to vent and get away from those tables. :confused:

All sympathy accepted.

Don't panic if you don't have the book memorized word for word. You can refer to the book any time you require the needed information.

When you do dive it will hopefully be with experienced divers who almost always are ever so helpfull with us newbees.

I turned 65 last year and decided to take up scuba diving as it has been on my bucket list forever, WOW what fun! I set my personal limit at 70 feet max. and fell very comfortable with that. I must say that the Caribbean is by far the best as I don't use a wet suit compared with at home in my 7 mil wrap.

Best of luck

Relax, I'll bet you a diet coke that you won't even be tested on the tables. This is the computer age my friend. Computers have made diving safer and more enjoyable for recreational divers.

Sorry, no sympathy from me. :) I'm in the final study phase to take my divemaster test a week from today. Plus, I'm switching from SSI to PADI and the tables are different than what I've used for the last two years. Had to just relearn them this week. I do like the PADI tables better, however. Although I rely on my computer, I always check the tables, too.

Don't sweat it, you don't need to have all that memorized. I do, however.....

You can also use what is known as an Electronic Recreational Dive Planner MultiLevel (ERDPML). It is essentially an electronic dive table. The prompts lead you through the process.

They cost about $25.

We give them to any students who have difficulties with the dive tables after they understand the general concept of pressure groups.

Thanks all. I was just whining.

I've finished the book...I just decided to skip over the tables. Probably not important anyway. :eek::eek:

I finished today's and tomorrow's lessons so I could spend Friday going back over the tables. Fresh start. It'll come...I was just disgusted with myself and my inability to grasp how to do the tables yesterday.

Laurie....when I first looked into diving I stopped at a dive shop about 50 miles away. The guy behind the counter looked like a 40 year old burnt out hippy. Talked like he was one too. :D I wasn't at all impressed with him and in the brochure he gave me it said they offered the SSI certification.

I then spoke to someone local to me, a member of our county's search and rescue team and he directed me to this PADI certified one. He said in his opinion SSI just wasn't up to the standards of PADI.

I'm glad I chose this one. Oh, plus I looked up the 50 mile away dive shop on Google and apparently a student taking his final open water dive with them died. Not a confidence builder for a newbie.

Good luck in your finals.

I actually have been very happy with the SSI certification I've had to date, but switched to PADI for the divemaster program because it is a better program. I was lucky to have some very good instructors for my open water course and then about six speciality courses. I think it all depends on the dive shop and the individual teaching. There are good and bad ones out there.

I have been divng for 11 years now and have logged 525 dives. What the heck is a dive table ???? Is that something like a snorkel ??? All kidding aside, almost every diver I know uses a dive computer.SDI doesn't even teach tables anymore. I do feel EVERY diver should learn the tables and have a set handy but honestly I have not looked at mine in years.I do have the basics memorized (60 feet-60 minutes,etc) just in case of computer failure underwater (has happened to me). I always wear a dive watch and use two computers anytime I go deeper than 100 feet or do a decompression dive.

Don't sweat the tables and buy yourself a "good" dive computer once you are certified.Have fun,be safe, and welcome to the wonderful world of scuba.

Hi Dive Master,

Yep, probably I will be buying more gear, including a dive computer. But I'm really pissed right now that the knowledge won't gell in my head.

I was back at the tables this morning ... table 1 and 2 are simple ... it's using table 3 that won't compute in my head.

I'm going to class tomorrow unprepared...I'll probably get detention. I hope the detention room isn't at the bottom of the pool. :)

Archived