Biobay Experience

Harbie

Just wondering if anyone has photos about the Biobay experience and any pros' cons' about tours in Puerto Rico? We are going in January and considering doing this before our cruise.

We did the Biobay excursion in San Juan in January of 2010 and it is one of my all-time favorite excursions. You couldn't really take pics because it's so dark. You have to check the moon calendar to make sure the moon is in the right phase while you're going to be there. It's a very long kayak ride through very dark mangroves out to the bay. So dark, in fact that you can't see more than a few feet ahead of you. The person in the back of kayak wears a blinking light so the kayak behind can follow. The experience was amazing! It was like pixy dust in the water. When you run your hand under the water it glowed. So did the oars for the kayak and every once in a while you could see a fish glowing underneath the water. I would do this excursion again in a heartbeat. Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them for you!

We flew to PR a few days before a S Caribbean cruise. One night we drove to a town in the east and took a fast Cat to Vieques island where there is a bio bay. It's supposed to be a lot brighter. We were each wearing a floater belt and went in the water. I took a snorkeling mask, and was able to see what can be described as fireworks as I was snapping my fingers in water. It was very "cool".

We flew to PR a few days before a S Caribbean cruise. One night we drove to a town in the east and took a fast Cat to Vieques island where there is a bio bay. It's supposed to be a lot brighter. We were each wearing a floater belt and went in the water. I took a snorkeling mask, and was able to see what can be described as fireworks as I was snapping my fingers in water. It was very "cool".

There are small prop planes that fly over to Vieques too. That biobay is simply amazing. They still allow you to swim there. The one near Fajardo you can not swim in anymore and it isn't as bright anymore - still cool, but not quite as out of this world as the big one in Vieques - particularly if you kayak out and snorkel.

My DH and DS did it a couple of years ago. I couldn't go because of a back injury just 3 weeks before we cruised.:( The guys said it was one of the best excursions they ever took and would have done it again in a heartbeat. Here's a tip, be sure to load up on insect repellent before you go!:D The way my guys described it, it was exciting just to here about it. I hope you have a great time!:D

Archived