Transportation to PCC

namaste1223

We're considering going to the Polynesian Cultural Center on one of the days before our cruise. Does anyone have any insight into the best way to get there? I did a search and didn't find any information here or on Trip Advisor, so I thought I'd ask.

I know there is a shuttle for about $22. per person ($88.). A car rental would be about $50. for the day and since we'd probably get back too late to turn it in, we'd also have to pay for overnight parking. There's always the public bus, but that would take about 2 hours. Convenience is a factor as well as cost.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Do the rental car. I'm not so sure you'd be too late getting back to Honolulu/Waikiki to return it that night. If you rent from an airport location, it may be open until midnight or so. If you rent from a hotel (such as HHV), they may have after hours drop off. In any case, even if you have to pay for overnight parking, rental car is the way to go. You will be able to drive at your leisure, stop to see what you want along the way, and go where you want, when you want. The shuttle would be a second choice and The Bus (while fabulous for many things, especially getting around Honolulu and Waikiki) would be a massive waste of your time for a day at PCC.

beachchick

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you have taken your cruise already. But....

Beachchick had some good suggestions. I would also advise you check the PCC website as I know they have some deals where if you go for a package they pick up by bus at the hotels in waikiki. Transportation to/fr the hotel.

I have been to the PCC twice and both times we took a higher priced package from PCC that included a guide and mini bus transportation.

The mini buses are better because there are less people on them and, as part of the package, the drivers do a great narration on the way to the PCC and you learn so much about that part of the island and movies filmed in that area. They also are more personable.

Getting a package with a guide at the PCC is the best way to go also because the guide knows when to get you to the different presentations and you get better seats. The guide also knows the ins/outs and shortcuts through the PCC. Our small group also got to do things that the "general masses" did not like spear throwing and drumming. The packages also have better seating (low center section) than the general admission tickets (upper sections). Both times our guide got us prime seeing locations for the river parade and we had some great views (and shade!!). A boat ride is also included.

I think we did the Ambassador Package with mini bus last year and it was perfect. (all I remember is that the cooresponding color at the PCC site was green....lol).

The extra money for that package is well worth it.

I have been to the PCC twice and both times we took a higher priced package from PCC that included a guide and mini bus transportation.

The mini buses are better because there are less people on them and, as part of the package, the drivers do a great narration on the way to the PCC and you learn so much about that part of the island and movies filmed in that area. They also are more personable.

Getting a package with a guide at the PCC is the best way to go also because the guide knows when to get you to the different presentations and you get better seats. The guide also knows the ins/outs and shortcuts through the PCC. Our small group also got to do things that the "general masses" did not like spear throwing and drumming. The packages also have better seating (low center section) than the general admission tickets (upper sections). Both times our guide got us prime seeing locations for the river parade and we had some great views (and shade!!). A boat ride is also included.

I think we did the Ambassador Package with mini bus last year and it was perfect. (all I remember is that the cooresponding color at the PCC site was green....lol).

The extra money for that package is well worth it.

THANK YOU ! We are cruising in Sept and we have been discussing the PCC.. I have heard so much about it and I realize that much of it is acting however -- any blog that we have read had great reports--- I like your guide idea --- We are not fond of wasting time..we will have a few days post cruise so this may be a great place to visit --

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from our amazing trip! I hope to post a more complete review as soon as I get a few minutes, but to quickly address this question, we wound up taking the shuttle offered by the PCC. Roundtrip it cost $22. each and was well worth it. They picked us up a couple of blocks from our hotel at a central meeting point and provided a comfortable and relaxing trip with the bonus of narration on the journey. On the way back after the spectacular evening show, we were glad we chose not to rent a car because we were all too tired to have to drive such a long way back ourselves.

As DAGVBSB also advised, we wound up using a guide. Although originally we didn't book a guided tour, on the bus we were given the option of upgrading for an additional $25. each to include a buffet lunch ($15. by itself) and a guide. It was well worth it! The guide knew just where to go and when so we would see the maximum in the time we were there. We were also able to participate in several hands-on activities that I'm not sure we would have been able to do if we were on our own.

By the way: we had two Hawaii Entertainment Books and there was a coupon in each for certain PCC tickets. The coupon was good for $45. off (up to two tickets per coupon; we used two coupons for four of us) for certain ticket packages. It was not good for the basic admission ticket/dinner/show, but it wound up that the admission ticket/luau/show with the Entertainment coupon was $2. less than the most basic package. We saved $90.!

Archived