Formal Night in Bermuda?/6-8-05 Cruise

KatieS

We're sailing on the Navigator to Bermuda from NYC on June 8. We were wondering if there was a formal night that week. Read somewhere else here that surprisingly there wasn't one. Anyone know? Thanks so much.

Does not appear there are any Formal nights on the Navigator Bermuda cruises. There are two "Captains Cocktail parties where Radisson suggests informal attire. Cocktail dresses for the ladies, blazers or suits for the men.

There is a little blurb on dress codes on page 53 of the Bermuda Cruise brochure. Ah well. no airing of the tux this trip but the blazer will get a workout. Will end up with blazer to meet the Phantom of the Opera also.

First trip on Radisson. second to Bermuda.

There are no formal nights on the cruise. There are three informal and 4 casual nights. Very little dress difference for ladies - more sparklies for the informal night or maybe the little black dress for the informal night or a skirt and sweater. For men, jacket and tie vs. optional jacket and no tie. Bermuda was wonderful. We really enjoyed it. Same week last year as you are going on!

Oh well, no fancy gowns this year! That's okay. Gives me a chance to use those formal "informal" dresses I've only worn once before.

My son and husband will be taking suits for the informal nights. Our 16-1/2-year-old son loves to dress up. He may be a bit disappointed that he won't need his tux. However, he has two proms coming up this spring and he'll get some use out of the tux before he outgrows it.

Per TA and RSSC no "real" formal nights so the TUX (which I LOVE) stays home. Will to suit/blazer thing. Wife who hates the real dress up nights will do the cocktail dress/dress/pant-suit: depending on the night.

Seems as if it is easier on the guy,than on the lady, but at least I can't get blamed for this one since it's the cruise protocol. BTW I will ge blamed anyway, sure one can dress down a notch without getting tossed, but some like getting dresed upwards if you will, while other's want to dress as comfortable/ie:downwards as possible.

My biggest concen is does this tie go better with this shirt than >>>>????. On the other hand at least us guys don't hae to concern ourselves as to whether we have a run in our stockings !!!!

76 days now till Navigator to Bermuda,Cat B #1018. Can't wait til I do the document dance, figure 8 more weeks.

The dress code states "country club casual" but we found that the evenings were a bit dressier but in a very classy way. We have done this twice and are planning on it again. If you live in the area and don't have to fly in, you can bring along everything in your closet....just in case. The cabins are so roomy that space is not an issue. Have fun.

We are on the Navigator for the 6/8 Bermuda cruise, my DW liked the RSSC to Bermuda option out of New York and not having to deal with "true formal nights", she won't fly anymore, so cruises out of NYC are the only thing for us now. I guess AMTRACK to a nearby east coast city (Philly, Boston, Baltimore could be doable)

I can leave my tux at home (OK I admit I did buy a few new blazers), but my wife needed something nice to wear other than the gowns she is used to. So she is out shopping in a very "country club casual" way, early and often I may add.

I am very much looking forward to our First cruise on RSSC after having been in suites on Princess, Celebrity, and on the Carnival Legend (which was a better experience than I thought it might be). We had mere balconies on RCCL. But I have realized that MEGA-ships are not for me. 490 sounds like a nice number, and not having to put up with lounge hogs by the pool is quite appealing. I hope the limo to the pier can handle all the baggage.

I really loved the pool area on the Navigator. Large enough so you never have to worry about finding a chair and there is plenty of shade and protection if you want to get out of the wind on your sea days. We spent most of our sea days hunkered down under the deck above out of the wind reading and napping......but still close enough to people watch that were in in the pool........it was such a treat to just sit and do nothing if one wishes. The crew around the pool gave the best and friendliest service ever. The minute you finished your plate they were there to pick up the dirty dishes and ask you if they could bring you a little more of something else. We really enjoyed our Bermuda cruise and the country club casual and informal nights was a little more easier for me to pack for as I didn't have those long gowns and the matching shoes taking up all the space and left more room for trinkets gathered in Hamilton and St. Georges. You will all love this cruise. I just hope you have as smooth a crossing as we did.

hello, hello... On the Bermuda cruise, since it departs on wed.s from N.Y., the port area is virtually empty. On our first RSSC Bermuda run we took a limo thinking it would be easier. We pulled up in what I would call the normal "window" of boarding time and RSSC employees actually came running out to our car.... to get us! Our papers were in order and our luggage disappeared and we were photographed and whisked onto the ship before we even could take a breath. Talk about no lines. The following year, I think it might have been the cruise that June 8th fell within, we decided to drive to the pier. The parking lot is adjacent to the pier that the Navigator is tied to. You could drop someone and luggage right at the entrance or park and jump on the little area that goes right downstairs to the area where you want to be. We actually liked this better than taking a limo as you were on nobody's schedule but your own. It was so effortless. It does take little getting used to after the regular cruise lines.

I'm on this same cruise at the end of May and have a few questions that those who have done this with RSSC before. Do the cabins have robes so I don't have to pack one? Any idea what time we can board in NY?

What about excursions or things to do at the two Bermuda ports? I've read the general advice on the ports of call board, but wonder about those of you with experience would suggest... Thanks for the tip about no formal nights. That really simplifies packing!

Cinder, I've never cruised to Bermuda before, but I can assure you that you will not have to pack a robe. There will be two of them in your suite. Although the official boarding time is 3p.m., I have boarded many times at about 1, gone to the verandah for lunch, etc. But cabins are usually ready at 2:30 p.m. Have a great time!

We did the June sailing in Bermuda and we only did two excursions through RSSC. The ship docks on Front Street, which is the main street for Hamilton. We got off the ship and at the entrance were a number of cabs. We took a taxi tour with another couple all over for $25.00 each and it was about 4 hours. It was a really good tour. We walked all over the town of Hamilton and through almost every shop. We also did the Sunset Sail by Catamaran which was a highlight of the trip. In Charlottetown, do not miss the welcome by the Town Crier. As soon as you dock they will have a welcome as well as they will Drown the Shrew. It was a fun actiivty. The Mayor is the Town Crier and he does a walking tour which my husband did - I stayed on board for some pampering. We then also visited Williamsburg when we were in Norfolk. If you've not been to Williamsburg, then by all means go and take that tour. If you havent been there, then I think once is plenty.

"Charlottetown?" Hi Kathy. We were on the town crier tour in St. George's with Kathie's husband and the highlight was when this Cock-a-poo pet of the TC perched on her husband's shoulder and began kissing him - became very possessive.

Unfortunately that town crier is no longer. We sailed in August on Celebrity and he was not the crier. The new crier told us to go to his Internet Cafe or Gift Shop. We found the bird (POO) in the tree outside.

We are sailing to Bermuda three time this year on the Navigator, Celebrity (and your were right - they nickeled and dimed us for everything last year) and RCCL Voyager (August/October/November). I guess you know I love this island. Sailed with two friends 11/04 on QM@ again, this time to the Caribbean (St Lucia, Martinique, ST Thomas, Sint Maarten, Barbados) - this trip was better than our May 2004 cruise - had great time.

I read that the Perfume Factory closed down. We kept meaning to visit it. Did you go last year?

How is the weather in sunny CA? It’s raining here.

KatieS - It is akin to Semi Formal or Cocktail. Although they call it Country Club Casual. The standard black dress is fine. People dress casually, but very nicely for dinner. I love this ship and cannot wait for August – the weather in June is much nicer – you should have a great time!!

Glad to hear the RSSC spoiled you too! I understand this might be the last summer for the Navigator to do the continual Bermuda Itinerary. Glad we did it last year, sounds like there are a few changes.

As they say, so many itineraries, so little time (and certainly not enough money) to do them all!

• 1 month later...

:) Thank you very much everyone for all the dress code info and other info about your cruise to Bermuda. We'll be driving to NYC from Philly. This should be interesting! No cabs, no planes, no waiting in the airport. What a treat! My husband is taking a few suits for the informal nights. We'll probably have to get our son a new suit because the suits his Dad gave him during the winter are too warm for summertime use. The blue suit he has from Christmas is getting a little small. Off to Burlington Coat Factory for a new one! I think I'll just need another bathing suit. I usually take two to change around.

Archived