Daughter on crutches...which excursion??

wantavacay

We had planned to do cave tubing and were all looking forward. Our 10yo DD, though, has injured her knee and will be on crutches for our cruise. With the hike to the river, I don't know that we'll be able to do cave tubing. Does anyone have suggestions as to what to do in its place?

We had planned to do cave tubing and were all looking forward. Our 10yo DD, though, has injured her knee and will be on crutches for our cruise. With the hike to the river, I don't know that we'll be able to do cave tubing. Does anyone have suggestions as to what to do in its place?

You certainly couldn't do cave tubing with a child on crutches. Not only is the hike in tricky but the slope down to the edge of the river to get in the tubes would be impossible.

I'm sure others will pipe in with alternatives.

The self drive boats with Coral Breeze look pretty fun! Haven't tried it though.

all maya ruins tours involve walking as well. Even the city tour with the zoo requires walking along the paths at the zoo. Plus this is a tender port and climbing on to and off of tenders and docks and ships won't be easy on crutches. But doable. I wouldn't suggest going on anything with small boats/water taxis as they also create mobility issues. sadly, it may be a quiet day on the ship for her.

What about taking a Carnival snorkeling excursion? Do they pick you up at the ship instead of tendering?

Yes, but again, you're going from a boat to a boat, which is probably smaller than a tender. And you'll typically snorkel off the boat, which means jumping over the side and climbing back up. Not something I would want to do if I were on crutches.

Guys we're talking about a 10yo girl here. A snorkeling excursion would be fine for her. She wouldn't have to jump onto or off of anything. The tour operators will be happy to help your daughter get on and off the tender as well as into and out of the water without having to jump or climb. :) Most snorkeling boats don't have ladders anyway. The have swim platforms at water level. Some even have steps right into the water. She'll have no problem pulling herself up or being pulled up by someone else.

Thanks michaeltorpey. She is very athletic, and it is killing her to be on crutches. I am looking for something that doesn't involve a lot of stairs, but we don't ming a few steps or boat transfers. I think we'll go with Carnival snorkeling unless there are other snorkeling recommendations.

Archived