Top 3???

Do:

1. Buy at least one photo of your family on formal night

2. Allow your children to help in the planning of each day's activities

3. Encourage your children to try new foods.

Dont:

1. Don't miss the ship's activities for children & families.

2. Don't expect everything to be perfect and everyone to be happy all the time.

3. Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy your vacation.

Do:

1. Buy at least one photo of your family on formal night

2. Allow your children to help in the planning of each day's activities

3. Encourage your children to try new foods.

Dont:

1. Don't miss the ship's activities for children & families.

2. Don't expect everything to be perfect and everyone to be happy all the time.

3. Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy your vacation.

Nice one, deep, but nice.

Thanks.

Nick

Do:

1. Early Traditional Dining or Personal Choice Dining.

2. Eat together as a family each night so you can share the adventures you had during the day :).

3. Plan your excursions with kids in mind....I agree with the previous poster that said to have your kids take part in the planning process. Happy kids = Happy Parents!!!

Don't:

1. Expect that your older child will *love* the kid's club. Some do, some don't. But at least make sure they give it a try for a few days so they can make friends. The 8 year old will probably love it right from the start!

2. Let your kids run around the ship unattended. I just think it's unsafe and opens them up for getting into trouble.

3. FORGET THE SUN SCREEN. LOL. And if you have a daughter that gets her hair braided...don't forget to put sunscreen on her scalp. Not sure if you are planning a Caribbean cruise, but that sun is brutal, particularly for kids' more sensitive skin.

Have a great time!!!! :D

Do:

1. Early Traditional Dining or Personal Choice Dining.

2. Eat together as a family each night so you can share the adventures you had during the day :).

3. Plan your excursions with kids in mind....I agree with the previous poster that said to have your kids take part in the planning process. Happy kids = Happy Parents!!!

Don't:

1. Expect that your older child will *love* the kid's club. Some do, some don't. But at least make sure they give it a try for a few days so they can make friends. The 8 year old will probably love it right from the start!

2. Let your kids run around the ship unattended. I just think it's unsafe and opens them up for getting into trouble.

3. FORGET THE SUN SCREEN. LOL. And if you have a daughter that gets her hair braided...don't forget to put sunscreen on her scalp. Not sure if you are planning a Caribbean cruise, but that sun is brutal, particularly for kids' more sensitive skin.

Have a great time!!!! :D

The Med from Southampton - Brits!

I don't expect to come back with much of a tan, spending two days getting there, two days back and quite some time eating and being busy.

Great feedback though, thanks.

Any more???

Do

1. Take lots of photos. A cruise is what memories are made of.
  2. Try and get a meal on your own (as a couple) perhaps when the kids are being entertained in the club one evening.
  3. Try and get round the ship i.e. wander and explore. I've yet to discover parts of the Grand Class Ships I've been on. I often wonder whether I am the only person who has not been inside Skywalkers.

Don't

1. Forget to take the chocolate off your pillow before you go to sleep!! The consequences of not doing so, don't bear thinking about.
  2. Feel you HAVE to get off at every port. Relax and enjoy a quiet ship if that's what takes your fancy.
  3. Pack too much. (I've resisted the temptation to mention jeans LOL)

Laura

Do

2. Try and get a meal on your own (as a couple) perhaps when the kids are being entertained in the club one evening.
  3. Try and get round the ship i.e. wander and explore. I've yet to discover parts of the Grand Class Ships I've been on. I often wonder whether I am the only person who has not been inside Skywalkers.

Don't

1. Forget to take the chocolate off your pillow before you go to sleep!! The consequences of not doing so, don't bear thinking about.
  2. Feel you HAVE to get off at every port. Relax and enjoy a quiet ship if that's what takes your fancy.

Laura

Jeans - they'll be the blue denim things of which I possess none, will be getting a supply delivered to Southampton by June 4th though.

Good stuff Laura...

Nick

Do

Don't

Laura

You didn't resist though!

1. Bring some action figures/small toys from home.

2. Bring a laptop computer & rent DVDs from http://www.netflix.com

3. Bring Nintendo DS & games. (or GameBoy)

more:

1. Bring every possible pill you and the kids might need

2. Bring an underwater camera for each child

3. Don't miss the informational meeting in the kids' center on the first night

4. Tip the counselors if you're happy with their work

5. Bring retainers if your kids are in braces (and an extra retainer case)

6. Bring labels pre-printed with your kids' friends' addresses on them so they can send post cards home. Also bring one for their teacher & class.

Do

1. Sign kids up early for kids club. Bring a different colored highlighter for each child and let them go through the kids club schedules and mark the activities they want to participate in. We did this the first night and it really helped get them excited about kids club. Your kids are the perfect age for it and will love it!

2. Bring various kid meds ( they are expensive on board). I suggest you bring: childrens Tylenol, Childrens cough/cold meds, Pepto Bismal tablets, Children's Dramamine and hard candies or throat losenges ( a roll of lifesavers is 1.75 on the ship.)

3. Bring earplugs. When you share a cabin with four people you never know when earplugs will come in handy for a good night's sleep.

Don't

1. Don't worry if the kids aren't hungry or don't want what is on the menu at dinner. Mine were almost never hungry and would just request a fresh fruit plate to eat. They would have a plate at the buffet at 10:00 when the kids club closed.

2. Don't forget sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat for the kids

3. Don't worry about the kids when they are in kids club. They will be well cared for. Just make sure you plan your evenings so you can pick them up at 10:00 pm.

Those are great suggestions. Definitely plan to take antihistimine, throat lozenges, bandaids, etc. If the store on board is in stock, it'll be expensive. I remember one port we were searching for a drug store to get more Sudafed for hubby who was having a reaction to the water.

And if you had missed my comment on the mandatory registeration meeting for the kids zone......don't be late. On the Star, we were there on time (according to our watches) but the counselors had already closed the door and placed sign that any late arrivals had to wait for the next meeting. We made sure to be early on our next cruise.

Bring

1. personal games, books what ever your child enjoys, for down time in the cabin.

2 Take lots of pictures, even in the children's center.

3. Know your childrens interests and amount of time they will happily enjoy excrusions before you book them.

Don't

1. don't forget to sign them up for late night care if you think you want to see a show, they end close to 10:00. this way you don't have to rush upstairs to pick up the kids.( they charge in 30 minute blocks)

2. Don't let them run free, Most kids make great choices but can be influenced when in a group.

3. Don't overplan your day.

Some good stuff there, cheers.

Other subjects that you might comment on, maybe...

- kids tournaments - table tennis (ping pong as you call it in the US), basketball?

- swimming pools?

- leaving the kids on ship whilst you go ashore?

- soda packages?

- menus?

- dress codes (without mentioning jeans...)

- safety on board - has anyone ever fallen overboard?

Cheers

I have two boys, 11 & 15, but they also went with us last year.

1) Don't leave the kids on the ship. Take them ashore with you. They need the cultural experience and you all need the family time.

2) Definitely buy a coke card.

3) I AM going to mention jeans. On casual nights, I let my boys wear nice jeans (not holey) and a nice dress shirt to the dining room. No one has looked twice. On formal nights, of course, they wear dress pants and a jacket. Kids normally don't have 3 or 4 pairs of dress pants. I see nothing wrong with nice jeans for kids.

4) We always want ours to eat in the dining room with us. They miss trying new food if they don't. And my 11 year old is looking forward to the escargot. He loves it!!! My kids always try new things when we travel. It's another great cultural experience.

These are just my opinions :)

I have two boys, 11 & 15, but they also went with us last year.

1) Don't leave the kids on the ship. Take them ashore with you. They need the cultural experience and you all need the family time.

2) Definitely buy a coke card.

3) I AM going to mention jeans. On casual nights, I let my boys wear nice jeans (not holey) and a nice dress shirt to the dining room. No one has looked twice. On formal nights, of course, they wear dress pants and a jacket. Kids normally don't have 3 or 4 pairs of dress pants. I see nothing wrong with nice jeans for kids.

4) We always want ours to eat in the dining room with us. They miss trying new food if they don't. And my 11 year old is looking forward to the escargot. He loves it!!! My kids always try new things when we travel. It's another great cultural experience.

These are just my opinions :)

Great opinions - my son has lovely modern trendy jeans that will look great with a trendy short and shoes so why not.

Actually, in Europe shorts that come below the knees are have been very "in" for summers and he has these too and I will not think twice about him wearing them on casual nights too. Of couse, on formal nights he will look something special.

Thanks for taking the time.

Nick

...but this just past week it hit paper that my alma mater was charging 40K for tuition, room and board next year. We have no kids. But if we did, I doubt we'd be taking a cruise vacation....all that money would be set aside for college costs. Of all the things I value my parents for (and there are many things) but I think starting with a clean slate, i.e., no loans due...was one of the biggest--especially in hindsight.

1 - There are various ping - pong , golf and basketball activities through the kids club

2- take the kids with you on excursions they will love it.

3- soda cards are a good value. My kids often get a drink and don't finish it. I found it way less irratating with the soda card :)

4- They have kids menus that include chicken fingers, burgers, spaghetti. In addition, my kids liked the fettucini off the always available menu and often requested a fresh fruit plate which they were more than happy to make up for them.

5- during the day shorts and swimsuits are the primary choice for kids. Don't forget either a windbreaker or a sweatshirt for cool evenings and cool days at sea. Polo shirts or shirts with collars are great choices for casual dining nights. A pair of navy or khaki pants work great too and can be worn repeatedly. Bring about half the amount of clothing you think you need. Remember they have a laundry if you need it, but seriously, mine only put pants on for dinner otherwise it was nothing but shorts and swimsuits. They often have a pajama party in the kids club one of the nights so don't forget the PJs.

6- Safety - just make sure you go over the rules with kids. No climbing on rails, no running by pool, no leaving the kids club, no going into anyone's cabin.. whatever your family's rules are.

Have fun!

Dinner together is nice, but my kids were much happier when we allowed them to order burgers from room service and then play in the kid's zone while DW and I enjoyed a quiet dinner for two (why I love PC dining). It is their vacation too, and they get a kick out of the novelty of room service!

Yes take them off the boat -- they will miss so much if they just stay on board -- but plan active shore excursions that they will find fun, and let them help pick out the activities. We ended up trying things that we would not normally have opted for, but had a great time. Make sure you leave unstructured time for them as well!

There are kids tournaments on board, depending on the number of children sailing.

Remind them over and over again that the same safety and behavior rules they are expected to follow at home apply on the ship as well.

If your ports include snorkeling, splurge on disposable underwater cameras and let them develop the film on board. You can even use these in the swimming pool.

Don't forget to bring a power strip or multi outlet extension cord (for American-style 110 in the cabin) if you are bringing multiple electronic gadgets (they do have video games in the kid's zone, so we left these at home; there are also arcade games, and there was one free arcade night).

Bring 2-way radios to keep in touch, and look for a set with a silent vibrating mode so that you can use these without bothering other passeners.

If you can afford the vacation, don't feel in the least bit guilty for taking your children along -- travel is the best educational experience that you can offer them, and you will be providing them with memories to last a lifetime.

And yes, bring along every medication you think you might need for your child, as these may be very hard and expensive to come by on ship.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Our kids get to play video games on weekends/holidays, so they will get some time on the Golden Princess for this "recreation". A few years ago, the ship had Nintendo 64 systems. Even then, this was outdated. Have they upgraded or changed systems since then? I ask because I am trying to dump out the games to someone who might still use them.

DO bring along a map so you and your child/children can chart the distance you've traveled. My kids love this.

DO bring extra bathing suits so you don't have to put on a wet one.

DO bring your entire medicine cabinet. Invariably I've always needed band aids (long walk to the med center), tylenol, thermometer, cough medicines, and more. Its almost as expensive on shore as on ship, so be sure to have your own.

DON'T make the kids stand in long lines for picture taking. By the time they get there, they'll do anything but smile. Bring your own camera so you can capture junior in his once a year suit, and wait for the quieter times for the family portraits.

DON'T let the cruise line treat your children like second class citizens. You've paid their fare and they have every right to be in the dining room if you'd like them to be and they behave appropriately. They don't have to eat off the buffet or room service if you'd prefer to eat as a family.

DON'T forget to bring stuff to entertain them in the cabin during down time. Even though I like a nap while on vacation, my kids may not. And you can't always count on the television having stations that interest them - its usually pretty limited.

Archived