Cell Phone in St. Martin do They Work??

Linda2433

Anyone used a cell phone on St. Martin. Did it Work? Trying to see if we can call people on another cruise ship in St. Martin same time we are so we can meet up. Also to call home? Posted this on the St. Martin board but only got one response. Thanks.

Linda2433,

Noticed another post you had indicating you are sailing in from Ft. Lauderdale in about 4 weeks. Was curious as to which cruise you were taking. We're booked on Dawn leaving Ft. Lauderdale on April 19. If this is the same, check out our roll call - we have a group of approx. 24 people meeting just before sailaway. Thought you might be interested.

Thanks - happy cruising!

Belinda45

Thanks but we are on the Caribbean Princes sailing on 4/16/05

Doesn't seem to be too many people on cruise critic on that cruise though i have found a few. Not too many responded to the roll call. Your's sounds like you will have a good time. Have Fun!

Linda

Anyone used a cell phone on St. Martin. Did it Work? Trying to see if we can call people on another cruise ship in St. Martin same time we are so we can meet up. Also to call home? Posted this on the St. Martin board but only got one response. Thanks.

My wife tried using her cell last week in St. Maarten, and no go.

She got a recording saying that she wasn't subscribed to the Caribbean Network.

It seems to me that the only place my cell phone did not work on either the Eastern or Western Caribbean itinerary was Costa Maya (for obvious reasons...they were just digging the road out of the jungle when we were there in 2002!). I have AT&T cell service and I can usually get a signal when my friends with other services sometimes can't.

I remember hearing Howard Stern tell a story once on the radio about being on vacation in the Caribbean. He was out on a yacht in the ocean with a bunch of friends and he needed to make a call but his phone wouldn't work. Everyone got their phones out and tried...no go. Except for one guy...who had AT&T. And Howard said "I'm changing to AT&T when I get home!" I remember smiling at that, because I have been that one person in the group who has cell service several times (both inside and outside the country).

My Cingular worked fine at St Thomas, but no service at Princess Cays. I also have to say I've had little luck with service on our Mexico cruises, both in the Western Caribbean and the Mexican Riviera.. My husband has a Blackberry and we always know when we have a connection --- it starts beeping away with e mail.

We were in St. Maarten last month, and my tri band GSM cell phone with AT & T service worked perfectly. It worked on every island, and much to my amazement worked all four days at sea. Hopefully you'll have the same experience. Good Luck!! :)

These cel phone threads are alway's interesting to me. I personally turn mine off when I get on board and it stays off until the cruise is over. I don't want to know what's going on in the real world, and even if I could call home to see if every thing was all right what could I do if it wasn't? I figure if something real bad happen while I was gone someone would call the ship and find me.

Unfortunately Having a 90 year old mother at home, i need to be able to call at least once or twice during the cruise to let her know we are alright. No I don't want to cell phones all over the place like we do at the mall, grocery stores etc. but I would like to be able to contact my friends on another ship so we can meet in St. Martin as I mentioned when I started this thread. Also wonder if the phones work on ship to call teenage daught. on same ship? Will that work while at sea or do you need a walkie talkie. How about when docked?

Linda2433 - sorry to hear you won't be on our cruise. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!:)

Glad to hear about Cingular and AT&T cell phones working at some points. I too have an elderly mother that I will need to keep in contact with at least once or twice during the cruise.

Thanks for helping to clarify some of the cell phone confusion!

Archived