MAGIC responding to May Day call of coast of Spain

melli_fera

From John Heald's Facebook page:

off to the bridge - we have a May Day May Day from a small boat52 minutes ago

im on ther bridge using my lap top. French small craft - father and son onboard - no engines. I have informed the guests as we have full thrusters on50 minutes ago

the boat is called the Jean Michele and they dont want to abandon her. We are now waiting for Spanish coastguard to come and using the ship to give her some protection from 10 - 12 ft waves and 40 knots of wind. Its a dangerous time as we cant get to close. We have a rescue boat standing by. ETA of Spanish Coastguard 2 hours from now13 minutes ago

not sure about Messina arrival on Tuesday. Dont want to ask Captain now, hes a bit busy. Around 300 guests outside watching and more on balconies - at 2:25am !!!!11 minutes ago

goodness me, that was a huge roll then from the motor yacht. we have the ships spotlight on her.10 minutes ago

link to facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/JohnHeald

I pray the rescue goes well. We rescued a craft with some cubans onboard a few years back on the Glory, it was a middle of the night rescue too. We didn't even notice the drama was happening!! All we safe onboard waiting for coast guard.

Lucky there are cruise ships to rescue people :D

From John Heald's Facebook page:

off to the bridge - we have a May Day May Day from a small boat52 minutes ago

im on ther bridge using my lap top. French small craft - father and son onboard - no engines. I have informed the guests as we have full thrusters on50 minutes ago

the boat is called the Jean Michele and they dont want to abandon her. We are now waiting for Spanish coastguard to come and using the ship to give her some protection from 10 - 12 ft waves and 40 knots of wind. Its a dangerous time as we cant get to close. We have a rescue boat standing by. ETA of Spanish Coastguard 2 hours from now13 minutes ago

not sure about Messina arrival on Tuesday. Dont want to ask Captain now, hes a bit busy. Around 300 guests outside watching and more on balconies - at 2:25am !!!!11 minutes ago

goodness me, that was a huge roll then from the motor yacht. we have the ships spotlight on her.10 minutes ago

link to facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/JohnHeald

Kudos to the Navigational crew on the Carnival Magic for showing exceptional seamanship in keeping on station and aiding a small craft in very heavy seas, while awaiting the arrival of the Spanish Coast

Guard!

Archived