Just back from the Pride of Aloha

Overall how was it?

Did they fix the service problems (from your perspective)?

Did they fix the plumbing problems on deck 10 yet?

Would you do it again?

Since I just upgraded to a balcony, which side of the ship has the better views?

For missedme:

Overall, I give the cruise irself a "good". The production shows were outstanding (excellent in terms of talent, imho), the decor of the ship was light-hearted and very enjoyable, itinerary is one of the best we've been on in all our 15+ cruises, service ranged from excellent to poor... as did food quality. Personally, I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and bantering a young American crew creates... lots of laughter and shared giggles. However, it took til midweek for us to find dining service that was better than fair (and once we did, we stayed with them)We were in an Owner's Suite; the concierge staff was competent, but the butler team was poor. Once I tracked them down which took a couple of days, I did a short training set with them (trainer at heart, that's me) and then their service was adequate.... two cute, young guys that I'm not sure had much more than that to recommend them to the position. Room Steward was good. Tipping remains a confused issue. We tipped as we "went" for service that was good or above.

Didn't notice any plumbing issues so they must be fixed, eh?

Probably will do it again on one of the new ships when they come out after they get a chance to find their rhythm. As much as I enjoyed the decor of the Pride of Aloha, there was no mistaking this was a refurbished ship rather than a new one:rolleyes:

For balanceok:

On Kauai, Waimea Canyon on a clear day takes your breath away. Lydgate Park is at the mouth of the Wailua River and has a protected snorkeling/swimming area as well as an ancient heiau "Place of Refuge".

In Hilo, we did the Farmer's market in town, got ourselves a picnic lunch from offerings there, then drove up to the volcano... there are picnic tables as you drive down the Chain of Craters rd ;)

Kona I recommend Place of Refuge (again:p ) and snorkeling... or head up towards the beaches near Waimea

In Maui, we went to Lahaina and saw the show Ulalena which I highly recommend! On previous trips we've gone up to the Haleakala crater which is also impressive.

We did the Sacred Sites tour on Oahu and loved it!:D

I'm currently on the POA and sitting in Kaui (we sail at 1:00 p.m. today)

I'm enjoying myself so far, but "Freestyle" cruising is different then the other cruises I've been on.

The first night we ate in the premium restaurant "Kahili" and had a great meal. Since it was the first night, it was at half price, so a pretty good deal overall. We also got an an additional coupon for 1/2 price at another premium restaurant.

The crew are all very friendly and helpful, although unlike most cruises we haven't really established a "relationship" with our cabin steward.Plus, since we've eaten at a different place each night, we don't have that usual connection with our waiter/waitress either.

Last night was formal night so we tried "Crossings". It was a good meal, and our waiter although hurried, was reasonably attentive.

We have an outside cabin with balcony and it's small but ok by cruise standards. Our friends have one of the owner's suites. WOW! Now that's the way to cruise. They have a front deck that looks straight out over the bow and has a hot tub. Their bedroom is about the size of our whole room and they also have tub, shower, walk-in closet and additional 1/2 bath. They also have a bar and sitting area with TV and DVD player. Oh well, maybe another time.

I'll post more as we cruise on.

Thank-you for your responses, but there was one answer missing.

Overall how was it?

Since I just upgraded to a balcony, which side of the ship has the better views?

This is in regards to the 1:00pm departure (afternoon of watching the coast)

and the Lava flows (although I understand they turn the ship so both get a good view here).

missedme, to see the Napali coast from your stateroom, you'd want to be on the right side of the ship.... unless, of course, they change their route:p For the lava flow, the ship is turned so everyone gets a view.

The $10 fee hasn't been reinstated as of yet. The reception desk does offer the option of billing your credit card for vouchers if you want to leave tips at the end of the cruise. The reception desk, however, does not offer the service of charging your credit card to give you cash:cool: If you make your tips by voucher, NCL will put the money in their paychecks and - of course - remove taxes for them;)

Archived