Military Discount

spcopps

I have searched DCL website and can't find this answer..what are their "military" requirements?? I know that other cruise lines is retired (at 20 years), disabled veteran, honorable discharge with at least 2 years active or 6 month war service. Is DCL the same policy?? DH served 12 years active army and served in 3 wars and I know he would have to present his DD214 , which we have, so wondering if we qualify. I know they aren't offering ANY military discounts at the moment but would like to know for future offers..thanks guys!

I have searched DCL website and can't find this answer..what are their "military" requirements?? I know that other cruise lines is retired (at 20 years), disabled veteran, honorable discharge with at least 2 years active or 6 month war service. Is DCL the same policy?? DH served 12 years active army and served in 3 wars and I know he would have to present his DD214 , which we have, so wondering if we qualify. I know they aren't offering ANY military discounts at the moment but would like to know for future offers..thanks guys!

There currently are no military offers available, but here are the requirements:

Military Rates

Special military rates are offered for Active and Retired members of the US Armed Forces Personnel in the following branches.

Activated members of the U.S. National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserve must also show active duty orders. Active duty papers must be dated as of January 1st of the previous year to qualify.

• Air Force
  • Marines
  • Army (including Army National Guard)
  • Navy
  • Coast Guard
  • Reservists (for all branches listed above)
  • 100% Permanently Disabled Veterans
  • Department of Defense, which includes:
    • FBI
    • CIA
    • National Security Agency (this does not include Homeland Security)
    • Secret Service

[*]Family members classified as 'active deceased'

[*]NASA Kennedy Space Center

[*]NASA Johnson Space Center

[*]Department of Health and Human Services

The active or retired military personnel must travel in order to receive this offer.

Military and Florida Resident rates are not available.

There currently are no military offers available, but here are the requirements:

Military Rates

Special military rates are offered for Active and Retired members of the US Armed Forces Personnel in the following branches.

Activated members of the U.S. National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserve must also show active duty orders. Active duty papers must be dated as of January 1st of the previous year to qualify.

• Air Force
  • Marines
  • Army (including Army National Guard)
  • Navy
  • Coast Guard
  • Reservists (for all branches listed above)
  • 100% Permanently Disabled Veterans
  • Department of Defense, which includes:
    • FBI
    • CIA
    • National Security Agency (this does not include Homeland Security)
    • Secret Service

[*]Family members classified as 'active deceased'

[*]NASA Kennedy Space Center

[*]NASA Johnson Space Center

[*]Department of Health and Human Services

The active or retired military personnel must travel in order to receive this offer.

Military and Florida Resident rates are not available.

I found this but how many years did you have to serve? Is it 2 years like other cruise lines or is it the actual retirement years of 20? I can't find any place online that specifies the years.. thanks

I found this but how many years did you have to serve? Is it 2 years like other cruise lines or is it the actual retirement years of 20? I can't find any place online that specifies the years.. thanks

With no current offer, it is hard to tell what the specifics might be and those specifics could change over time depending on how much they need to discount to fill the ship.

Disney currently has an offer for discounted theme park tickets for the military. The definition for that offer is as follows:

"Eligible Service Members" are active or retired members of the U.S. military, including the National Guard, Reservists and the U.S. Coast Guard. Permanently Disabled Veterans are also eligible for this offer. These military personnel will have a military ID with a DAVPRM status. Spouses of eligible members are able to participate without the member being present.

Not eligible are: unaccompanied dependants (children), prior service members who did not retire, foreign military members, DoD civilians."

My parent qualify for this offer as they have have a retired military ID. Best of luck -- Suzanne

that prior service members don't qualify and with my "RED" id card I don't qualify unless I am on active duty. Carnival and NCL have graciously given me military discounts with my DD214 as proof of service. That said with my "RED" id card I can stay at shades of green if there is room...and maybe someday I will.

that prior service members don't qualify and with my "RED" id card I don't qualify unless I am on active duty. Carnival and NCL have graciously given me military discounts with my DD214 as proof of service. That said with my "RED" id card I can stay at shades of green if there is room...and maybe someday I will.

If we ever travel during the 'open to all' vet months @ SOG, i'm going to try to book there too.

agree, it's discouraging for those who served but didn't retire to be told no when an office employee @ DOD is good to go. Apparently shuffling paperwork designates one as more deserving than someone who served several tours of battle & is honorably discharged unless retired, disabled or active duty.:rolleyes:

CCL goes above & beyond respect for military imo, often having companion cabin booking months. :) NCL military prices out the same as union discount last i checked but only 10% vs the much larger ones i've found w/CCL.

I think you guys are making too much of the military discounts, and of Disney's restrictions on them.

First of all, the military discounts are quite small, and only on very select voyages, and only on the lowest categories of cabins. In short, when Disney's having trouble selling stuff they will roll out a military (or Florida resident, or repeat cruiser, or whatever) discount to try and fill those cabins. It's not really a reward for those particular groups, but more of a targeted marketing.

Regarding them limiting it to those on active duty or fully retired, again they are just targeting their marketing. They could offer to discount the cabins to everyone, but they don't like sales so they don't do that. They could offer specials for almost anything, but this is just the way they choose to handle military discounts.

I think you guys are making too much of the military discounts, and of Disney's restrictions on them.

First of all, the military discounts are quite small, and only on very select voyages, and only on the lowest categories of cabins. It's not really a reward for those particular groups, but more of a targeted marketing.

quote]

I have to disagree with you entirely. I am active duty ( and have been for a while)... and even if I save a few hundred dollards, I will make these the big deal they are!!!

These discounts are amazing. I have saved tons of money before... just because they aren't "that great" right now, doesn't mean that they aren't a reward. I have saved the equivalent of cabin categories, and they can be applied at virtually any point in the booking process.

You do have to be retired or active duty to qualify but the letter of the rules... but call Disney or your local ITT. They may be able to work something for you!! This is Disney!!

I have to disagree with you entirely. I am active duty ( and have been for a while)... and even if I save a few hundred dollards, I will make these the big deal they are!!!

These discounts are amazing. I have saved tons of money before... just because they aren't "that great" right now, doesn't mean that they aren't a reward. I have saved the equivalent of cabin categories, and they can be applied at virtually any point in the booking process.

You do have to be retired or active duty to qualify but the letter of the rules... but call Disney or your local ITT. They may be able to work something for you!! This is Disney!!

I am not sure about the cruise discounts (just started looking actually) but I can tell you we could have saved a LOT of money on park tickets and being able to stay at SOG for a family of 5 at disney world Orlando. Unfortunately, DH "only" served 8 years and in 3 wars so we don't qualify even at the parks!! I really do want to thank all the vets and active who are and have served!! Just kind of stinks that those who sit at their desk and NEVER see harm can get discounts but those who actually fought can't get anything..some of you may be able to figure out what he did after airborne by looking at my username...

Move to Florida, you can get a discount. Become a travel agent, you can get a discount. Work for Disney, you can get a discount. Be active duty or retired military, you can get a discount.

Separate after 8 years, no discount. Save a family from a burning house as a fireman, no discount. Save lives every day as an EMT, no discount. Be an inner-city teacher, no discount.

All I'm saying is that there are plenty of worthy demographic groups who you could reasonably argue should be rewarded by society for what they do. And they are, in various ways. But getting a discount on a Disney cruise is not one of them. And I still stand by my opinion that the military discounts I've seen are not that great anyway. I am honestly glad that others have taken advantage of them and found them worthwhile--heck, if they were offering a discount on a cruise I wanted to take and in a cabin category I wanted, I'd be happy to save some cash. But for me they've never been tempting.

Move to Florida, you can get a discount. Become a travel agent, you can get a discount. Work for Disney, you can get a discount. Be active duty or retired military, you can get a discount.

Separate after 8 years, no discount. Save a family from a burning house as a fireman, no discount. Save lives every day as an EMT, no discount. Be an inner-city teacher, no discount.

All I'm saying is that there are plenty of worthy demographic groups who you could reasonably argue should be rewarded by society for what they do. And they are, in various ways. But getting a discount on a Disney cruise is not one of them. And I still stand by my opinion that the military discounts I've seen are not that great anyway. I am honestly glad that others have taken advantage of them and found them worthwhile--heck, if they were offering a discount on a cruise I wanted to take and in a cabin category I wanted, I'd be happy to save some cash. But for me they've never been tempting.

I'm not going to argue that point you are right all the way!! I know other cruise lines do offer discounts for firefighters but I am not sure about teachers and emt's. I do think anyone who puts their life in danger on a daily basis should receive discounts from almost anyplace. IMO it's not the amount of the discount that matters it's the recognition for all these people who risk their lives for the better of others... We have friends who are still active and I wouldn't trade their discounts for us to get one for anything. DH actually got out because he injured his back on duty but not enough for FULL disability as Disney requires. I only started this thread to see if we qualified for Disney because we do on several other lines. We have a disney card and use those points for the theme park but will just save those points for a disney cruise in the future;)

Archived