Underwater Camera Warning

WillieD13

The new Olympus Tough cameras are good, and take excellent pictures. The new ones however, have one flaw, and it is a big one. My Tough 8010 (as well as the TG-810), has a two latch locking system on the door, a latch, and a latch lock, so it doesn't open up accidentally. This system works great, there is no chance of accidentally opening the camera underwater.

The other models (Tough 6020, TG-610, Tough 3000, and TG-310) have a single latch system. It is a two position latch. It slides sideways, then down. It can be bumped and inadvertently opened. On one of our excursions, one of the guys in the group, who had a TG-610, bumped his, and it opened while under water :eek:. I don't know if it was salvageable or not, as I haven't spoken him since then.

Again, don't get me wrong, the cameras are great cameras, that take really good pictures, both above and under water. This is simply meant as a cautionary note. If you have one of these cameras, or decide to get one, I recommend that if you are taking it in the water, put a piece of duct tape over the latch button, so it can't slide.

Good info about the duct tape. I fried my Tough 300 last year in the Caribbean. I had it slid down the front of my suit and was always careful to check the lock before entering the water. BUT, going off the Catamaran, the lock must have slid open and un-noticed, I turned it on and tried to take a picture. I paid $149 for the camera and they wanted $85 to fix it, so needless to say, I just bought a new one. The same exact one, in fact. I WILL be taking duct tape on this Caribbean cruise again this Dec.

Archived