Duty Free

Well, it's not going to be the cheapest.

Liquor will be more expensive at the airport, sometimes a little more, sometimes a lot, depending on what you're buying.

After LOTS of research I have found that in almost every case the cheapest booze on the island is on Frontstreet. We shop at Splash Jewelers to check their loss-leaders, then check pricing at Caribbean Paradise and now our new spot, Ocean Jewelers. For specialty items we check at Gulmohar's.

That said, how are you going to travel with it?

It's inside security, so you will have to carry airport purchases in the cabin, but you'll have to get it into your checked bags if/when you connect.

If you purchase it elsewhere it will have to go into your checked bags before you check in.

Plan on lots of dirty clothes and/or take bubble wrap. Gulmohar's sells inflatable air-bags to protect purchases made there if you desire.

gary

Well, it's not going to be the cheapest.

Liquor will be more expensive at the airport, sometimes a little more, sometimes a lot, depending on what you're buying.

After LOTS of research I have found that in almost every case the cheapest booze on the island is on Frontstreet. We shop at Splash Jewelers to check their loss-leaders, then check pricing at Caribbean Paradise and now our new spot, Ocean Jewelers. For specialty items we check at Gulmohar's.

That said, how are you going to travel with it?

It's inside security, so you will have to carry airport purchases in the cabin, but you'll have to get it into your checked bags if/when you connect.

If you purchase it elsewhere it will have to go into your checked bags before you check in.

Plan on lots of dirty clothes and/or take bubble wrap. Gulmohar's sells inflatable air-bags to protect purchases made there if you desire.

gary

Thanks, Gary! We are spending a week on the island. After so many cruise ship stops we wanted more time to see the island instead of just Orient beach ship excursion. I appreciate all your info. Jan

I'll assume that you mean bring alcohol back to the US, as there is certainly no reason to take booze into St. Maarten. :)

The answer is YES, but ...

First consider the cost/benefit analysis. Unless you're in First Class, luggage charges can be substantial, especially if you go heavy. Think quality over quantity in most cases.

No alcohol over 140 proof, i.e. no 151 Rum.

Limit of 5 liters per bag. (Also see heavy, above)

What if a bottle breaks?

p.s. Those little miniatures can go in carry-on if they fit in your one-quart ziplock.

gary

2004?

When I am commenting on specific prices, I will do that in a narrative.

The photos were to show the range of products offered in the shops.

I believe that the only prices easily readable when just clicking on the links, as I expect most here would do, are at Ocean, and those photos are just a few weeks old.

gary

p.s. At Ocean if you mention Cruise Critic and my name you'll get a free bottle of rum with any $100 purchase. :)

Archived