A Taste of the Cabot Trail excursion in Sydney

Hoping some fellow CC'rs have taken this excursion and can give me their input on it:) DH and I are trying to plan our day in Sydney for our upcoming Maasdam SB Canada/New England cruise in early September, and are considering this 7 hour excursion. Being such a lengthy excursion I am wondering how many actual stops we will have on this tour, and what are they? What type of vehicle will we be traveling in, will we be able to see much while traveling, how engaging is the narration of the guide, etc???? It is somewhat pricey so just trying to gather as much information as I can to make the most informed decision. Thanks in advance!

Being from Nova Scotia, I have travelled the Cabot Trail many times, but have not taken this tour.

I gather from earlier posts by others that you only go as far as Ingonish, have lunch at Keltic Lodge with ample time for shopping. I do not know if there are other stops, but there are scenic lookoffs along the way. This is the map of the route and it says this drive takes 4.5 hours return. The rest of how the time is used may or may not be how you would want to use it. http://*******/maps/Pq2Z

I would recommend renting a car and doing one of the following:

1. Go to Louisbourg which is an outstanding historical reconstruction. You will be immersed into the year 1744. Be sure to go to one of the restaurants.

2. Drive to Baddeck (Alexander Graham Bell Museum) and Iona (Highland Village) and then go back to Sydney on another route. This is a very scenic drive along the Bras D'Or Lakes. http://*******/nYgcv4

3. Drive for about 2.5 hours on the Cabot Trail and then make your way back to Sydney. You may have time to get a bit past Ingonish where you are hugging the coastline. You do not have time for the entire trail which means you will just have to come back for a land tour sometime. If you stop for a quick lunch or take a sandwich and do not shop, you would have more time. http://*******/puLKxH

For some reason these links are not working for me. I will try again in a while.

Archived