What's your opinion on this? Ill passengers on excursions...

CruisinTeach99

If you are not feeling well before going on the excursion or if you know that you are prone to motion sickness/altitude sickness/sensitive to the sulfuric fumes of an active volcano/etc, it is YOUR responsibility to plan your excursions accordingly.

My DD has never actually gotten sea sick but is sensitive in choppy seas on the smaller watercrafts (tenders, zodiac, pleasure boats). We weigh the level of potential problem and take all procautions. We do not book most excursions that would entail smaller ships - any zodiac or "adventure" trips, or anything on a smaller ship on open sea; but have tried snorkling trips in a more enclosed bay area. We have never needed to, but we are prepared to take a look at conditions and bail from tendering to port. We take all precautions - we board early and sit far aft, near access to open air, she sucks on/chews candied ginger.

You are so right! Thank you for this comment. I am outraged that people would subject others on a tour to their illnesses. If you know you get motion sickness, don't go on the tour. I don't want to see you vomit, hear you vomit. And if you do, leave the bus and get a taxi. The posters on here saying that some people might not feel comfortable getting a taxi in a foreign country - get real! I have been to many countries and have never had an issue getting a taxi or getting where I need to go. And if you are that helpless, you probably shouldn't travel overseas.

Trust me, I sympathize with motion sickness. I get very seasick on small boats. And there have been many shore excursions that I wanted to do that involved small boats (the hydrofoil to Capri, Italy for example or whale watching in Alaska). But I miss out on these because I don't want to embarrass myself in front of other people or ruin someone else's day. I know what my body is capable of at 34 years old and I would think most other people know their own limitations.

The self-absorbed people in this world who say "this is my cruise too and i'll go on a tour even if i'm throwing up" really tick me off. They need to get out of their little bubble and realize that so much in life is about being considerate of others.

Michael

You are so right! Thank you for this comment. I am outraged that people would subject others on a tour to their illnesses. If you know you get motion sickness, don't go on the tour. I don't want to see you vomit, hear you vomit. And if you do, leave the bus and get a taxi. The posters on here saying that some people might not feel comfortable getting a taxi in a foreign country - get real! I have been to many countries and have never had an issue getting a taxi or getting where I need to go. And if you are that helpless, you probably shouldn't travel overseas.

Trust me, I sympathize with motion sickness. I get very seasick on small boats. And there have been many shore excursions that I wanted to do that involved small boats (the hydrofoil to Capri, Italy for example or whale watching in Alaska). But I miss out on these because I don't want to embarrass myself in front of other people or ruin someone else's day. I know what my body is capable of at 34 years old and I would think most other people know their own limitations.

The self-absorbed people in this world who say "this is my cruise too and i'll go on a tour even if i'm throwing up" really tick me off. They need to get out of their little bubble and realize that so much in life is about being considerate of others.

Michael

I don't think that the person who became ill planned on it and was determined to go on despite it and to heck with everyone else. Thats ridiculous. It just happened and it was unfortunate. The OP's premise about exposure to a virus is wrong too. Motion sickness is not caused by a virus. Michael you say you don't want to see or hear someone else who is sick. Well than why don't you take private tours? What astounds me is that after this comment you call others self absorbed. Are you kidding? BTW one day yrs. ago after a horrible 16 hr. shift ( I am an ICU RN) I decided to unwind by playing golf the next day. A women had a cardiac arrest B4 I began and I did CPR on the 1st tee. Good thing I didn't let this inconvenience my earned day off. She lived too BTW. Things happen, even on vacation. Just deal with it.

There isn't any reason a person who is prone to motion sickness can not go on tours which may cause problems as long as they have prepared in advance. That's a rather ridiculous statement to say people who know they get motion sick should never go on tours which could cause that. They should just be prepared ahead of time.

TxnAquarian, I told this story earlier on another thread. I was going to a 3D movie at IMAX with several members of my family (all adults) which involved bobsledding, roller coasters. I know my limits very well and took Dramamine before the movie to the laughter of all the other adults who thoought they were so motion sick immume.

I didn't get sick at all but my adult daughter and my husband both got sick and were sick for about an hour after the movie ended. Guess you could say I had the last laugh but I didn't because I know what a horrible feeling it is.

There isn't any reason a person who is prone to motion sickness can not go on tours which may cause problems as long as they have prepared in advance. That's a rather ridiculous statement to say people who know they get motion sick should never go on tours which could cause that. They should just be prepared ahead of time.

TxnAquarian, I told this story earlier on another thread. I was going to a 3D movie at IMAX with several members of my family (all adults) which involved bobsledding, roller coasters. I know my limits very well and took Dramamine before the movie to the laughter of all the other adults who thoought they were so motion sick immume.

I didn't get sick at all but my adult daughter and my husband both got sick and were sick for about an hour after the movie ended. Guess you could say I had the last laugh but I didn't because I know what a horrible feeling it is.

Very true and well said. My wife gets motion illness too and its no laughing matter. She takes dramamine which usually works well but sometimes no matter what you do you can't account for everything. We took a tour in St. Lucia and the winding, mountainside roads caused her to become very, very ill. We had a great guy, Spencer Ambrose who was giving us the tour. We got off and he called for another driver to take us back to the ship. The other passengers were sympathetic too as you would hope most people would be. We saw some of them later and they were quite concerned about how she was doing. Lesson learned is no more tours in vehicles which go along side such roads. One hopes that when others are in distress the people around them, strangers not withstanding, will at least feel for them.

You might have your wife try Bonine--for me it works much better than dramamine.

We have tried that actually and for her the dramamine works well and she uses just a half tab. For more severe symptoms a low dose of phenergan works well. Much to my surprise an English MD told me that in Europe the scop. patch is not used anymore (this was 2006) due to the side effects. My boss loves to sail on 30-40 foot boats and uses the patch all the time with no issues. We have an upcoming cruise to the holy land, minus Egypt unfortunately due to the politics there and I have researched the roads in our various ports and I think we will be fine though she will take dramamine B4 leaving. We also have private guides just in case but it should be OK. Thank you. Larry :)

Unfortunately best laid plans can get torpedoed then you just have to make a plan around it. In my case I went to the back of the bus with my seabands and slept on the way down through the serpantines and recovered somewhat at the stop.

Point is many of us do make well laid plans and DO TAKE precautions but they may not always be enough and in some cases others play a role in those coming apart tooo. Some times cercumstances are just beyond someones control.

Unfortunately best laid plans can get torpedoed then you just have to make a plan around it. In my case I went to the back of the bus with my seabands and slept on the way down through the serpantines and recovered somewhat at the stop.

Point is many of us do make well laid plans and DO TAKE precautions but they may not always be enough and in some cases others play a role in those coming apart tooo. Some times cercumstances are just beyond someones control.

Indeed!

I am happy to report that my wife was having a tough time with motion sickness during a TA crossing May 3rd and went for an acupuncture treatment and felt fine, with no symptoms for the rest of the cruise. Believe me when the seas start rolling, acupuncture can eliminate motion sickness and alleviate nausea and vomiting in just one or two treatments. If one is prone to sea sickness, I highly recommend getting a treatment to ward off symptoms, just as my wife did. BTW we were on the Celebrity Equinox. Great ship!

I am happy to report that my wife was having a tough time with motion sickness during a TA crossing May 3rd and went for an acupuncture treatment and felt fine, with no symptoms for the rest of the cruise. Believe me when the seas start rolling, acupuncture can eliminate motion sickness and alleviate nausea and vomiting in just one or two treatments. If one is prone to sea sickness, I highly recommend getting a treatment to ward off symptoms, just as my wife did. BTW we were on the Celebrity Equinox. Great ship!

That is very interesting. I'm going to do some research on acupuncture and motion sickness.

Archived