Progreso Guide Pedro Flores (pedropep@hotmail.com) - Anybody experiences with him?

DangerDad

I was referred to Pedro Flores by Robert "Pablo" Bowers (rabbit777mx@yahoo.com), a well-known and recommended (on CC) Progreso-area guide, but I haven't been able to find much feedback at all on Pedro.

Has anyone worked with Pedro as a guide? I'd feel more comfortable putting the safety of my family and friends in his care if I could get some first-hand feedback/references from any past customers of his.

Thanks,

Seth

Yes my boyfriend and I took his tour last yr . it was 15 .00 pp. we had a great time . he is an american , so he speaks very good english. take your own water for the ruins its hot a$$ hell. :) his van is airconditioned and very clean . he took us to a great private beach bar also. if you have any questions ill try to answer for you.

1461548097_carnivaltriumphAug20101000.jpg.7febf652b405545c869e730e62b82ab0.jpg

2027861196_carnivaltriumphAug20101005.jpg.8cd4944e7d2a1e7b8cf9a8be92191393.jpg

853582521_carnivaltriumphAug20101024.jpg.d0b206ea48802f4c56aa785e36956f57.jpg

Edited by chased
added on

Yes my boyfriend and I took his tour last yr . it was 15 .00 pp. we had a great time . he is an american , so he speaks very good english. take your own water for the ruins its hot a$$ hell. :) his van is airconditioned and very clean . he took us to a great private beach bar also. if you have any questions ill try to answer for you.

The first pic is of Pedro , then the ruins and the beach.

The first pic is of Pedro , then the ruins and the beach.

That first pic looks like Pablo. I spoke with Pedro on the phone today, his English is very good but definitely not American. :)

We are all set for a tour next week, I will post an update/review for Pedro if/when we make it home! ;)

I was also just emailing with Pedro Flores, who contacted me through Robert. Everything sounded great, I committed to touring with him in December... and then out of nowhere, I just got an email saying he's in Spain with his ill cousin who needs $2,000 for hysterectomy surgery and that he would pay me back as soon as he got home. Ummm... clearly, a scam. I'm certainly cancelling my tour and steering clear of him.

I was also just emailing with Pedro Flores, who contacted me through Robert. Everything sounded great, I committed to touring with him in December... and then out of nowhere, I just got an email saying he's in Spain with his ill cousin who needs $2,000 for hysterectomy surgery and that he would pay me back as soon as he got home. Ummm... clearly, a scam. I'm certainly cancelling my tour and steering clear of him.

I received the same:

Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:37 AM

Subject: Sad News.......Pedro Flores

I hope this finds you in good faith am presently in Spain with my ill Cousin. She's suffering from a critical uterine fibroid and must undergo hysterectomy surgery to save her life . I am deeply sorry for not writing or calling you before leaving, the news of her illness arrived to me as an emergency and that she needs family support to keep her going, I hope you understand my plight and pardon me.

Hysterectomy surgery is very expensive here, so I want to transfer her back home to have the surgery implemented there Am wondering if you can be of any assistance to me, I need about $2,000 to make the necessary arrangement; I traveled with little money due to the short time I had to prepare for this trip and never expected things to be the way it is right now. I'll surely pay you back once I get back home, I need to get her home ASAP because she is going through a lot of pain at the moment and the doctor have advised that it is necessary the tumor is operated soon to avoid anything from going wrong. I'll reimburse you at my return.

Anticipating your reply at the earliest to my request!

Pedro.

One thing that struck me as unusual about this email is that the writing style is very different from my earlier exchanges; the grammar and spelling are nearly perfect compared to his email from two weeks ago:

Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:17 PM

To: tour agosto

Subject: RE: Progreso Tour

yes its ok also dont forget we have a nice ruins onthe coust of chicxulub calls. xcambo ant take you at the beach club, they will se flamingos , the oldest mayan indutry sea salt flats,an eat in a nice rest in chicxulub.

the difernce in dzibilchaltun we have a cenote merida , nice arquitechure, bat we wond have much time at the beach,. to give you more detail. send me your phone number i can call you free from chicxulub where i live.

your friend pedro

I'm going to call the phone number that I have for him, though I suspect it is a Skype number since it's a US phone number. Will update once I figure out what is going on.

I just got off the phone with Pedro, he's fine (and so is his "cousin") and in Progreso, hard at work contacting his clients and assure them everything is OK.

Someone has hacked his email account and his phone has been ringing off the hook with friends and family wanting to know if he is OK.

He is unable to get into his email, but still has access to facebook, and has asked to be contacted there or by phone until he can get the email mess sorted out:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000760506171

I told him I'd pass the information along.

UPDATE: I just received the following email from Pedro:

Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:18 PM

To: [me]

Subject: saludos new email adress

hi dear friends i got a problem with my pedropep@hotmail.a dress .please contact me in this one

your friend pedro

im fine in progreso some one alse using my e-mail .

As of now, I'm still on for my tour next week. I will report back afterward! :)

• 2 months later...

I exchanged emails with Pedro explaining what we wanted to see and do while in Progreso, and he made all the arrangements at a fair price.

I've been meaning to write a full review of our experience with Pedro, but until then I will say it was excellent.

Pancho was the guide who actually led our private tour. He's a born local who is very knowledgable and proud of his city, a school teacher as his main job.

The van, while not new, was clean and the A/C worked. The driver was courteous and safe. I should point out that we felt safe and comfortable throughout the day, which was a concern with 4 kids and 3 beautiful women in our group of 9.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where is the beach in this picture? It looks like it must be further east of the main beach close to the pier in Progreso.

I emailed Pedro about getting a quote on hiring him or another driver for the day when we get to Progreso on January 30th and this is what he replied to me:

pedro flores pedropepchix @ hotmail . com

"him dear friends lpease can ou teel mt you adres youcatqan."

What do I do with that? :confused: We leave for my cruise on Saturday and I don't know if I should just find something else to do? Help please!!

Although Pedro's emails may be a bit confusing, he called me directly after several email tag games.

I sent my phone number with a day he could reach me. He speaks good English and just seems like he wants to make everything wonderful.

I'll contact him again before we get there in May, but so far it's been very easy process, contacting with my new pal Pedro.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All I can say, is trust Pedro!

We disembarked the ship, and Pedro was waiting for us before you even get to the buses. He held a sign up, and greeted (welcomed us).

Once we got off the long pier, he introduced us to our personal tour guide, Russel.

Russel is a great young educated man, and worked hard to show us everything he could in the short time we were in the Yucatan.

This may not be what many want, but it's what We wanted.

They drove us to Merida, teaching us the history of the Yucatan as we drove. We walked around the city center, and buildings. Merida is a Large bussling city, with everything you could imagine.

We stopped for some local sorbet, before heading to the ruins.

Never have any of us tasted these flavors, and would like to again!

The van then took us to the Dzibilchaltun Mayan ruins, and walked all over the grounds.

It was very hot, as expected, so we hit the sink hole cenote for a swim and cool down.

It was stunning! I'm sure you can see all the pics, but to be there, and be able to enter was a "pinch me moment", to quote my wife.

Once we were all cooled down, and happy with the swim and rest, we left the ruins and headed back to Progreso.

Russel took us to La Casa del Malecon resaurant and bar. He helped us order, and I didn't hear of anyone complaining at all.

This is about 4 blocks down from Buddy's, and the beach was clear of people, and vendors. I can't wait to go back, and feel that breeze blowing through.

the sights, smells and tastes is what we wanted, and Pedro delivered!

After lunch and a couple cerveza's, Russel took us to shop a little at Bolum Balum.

This is a non-profit shop that buys, and gives back to the Maya.

I believe Charlie (hope I remember correctly), runs the shop and has for years. It's really a no pressure expirience, much different than the stories we heard from others on the ship.

We Never felt endangered at all, and enjoyed the learnings we shared.

Pedro met us again, and bought us all a local, very good beer before he had us taken back down the pier to our ship.

There was NO worry of being late (which my wife was before we left), at all.

We got back to our rooms and dropped off the goods, then went to the top deck for the show (pier drunks).:eek:

I can't express how impressed we were, and look forward to making this trip again.

Trust Pedro! His emails might be a little broken up, but his point comes through that you can Trust him.

I'm glad we did.

We were a group of 6, which I think is perfect for hearing everything.

Once again, Thank you Pedro, and Russel.:D

Edited by mal1999

• 2 months later...