Speed of NCL Ships

I don't know why they go so fast, but I think they might push them a bit too hard. We were on a cruise on the "Pride" a few years back. It was an 11 day from Hawaii to San Fransisco. I think it was going in for service of some kind. Anyway, one night, around midnight I heard a big bang. The next morning the anounced a problem with one of the engines. The good news is that my 11 day cruise turned into a 13 day cruise. The bad news, that is a LOT of at sea days.:D

I think that ship speed is really irrelivant. The two NCL cruises we've been on the average speed was 22knots. On our upcoming cruise in Nov. our first stop is Grand Stirup Cay in the Bahamas 140 nautical miles (approx) from Miami. Leaving at 4 p.m. on sunday and arriving 16 hours later (8 a.m monday)......do the math. Can't..? At 10 knots we would blow-by the island by 20 or so miles.:cool: It's all about scheduling and timing for whatever reason (s). I think I read where their top speed can be up to 28-30 knots.

Most of the newer NCL ships are azipod driven(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Gem). The limiting factor is electric production...of which they have 4 or 5 diesel electrics(exactly like most diesel electric trains). The ships that have turbine engines(like a jet engine really and the same type engine that the Abrams M1a1 TANK uses)...use jet fuel that is much much more expensive than the bunker oil used on most cruise ships. the Turbine engines are still used to make electricity...so the cost per mile is much higher on the turbine engine ships.

from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary_2

a small quote clearly withing copyright guidelines...

Power plant and propulsion system

Queen Mary 2's power plant comprises both four sixteen cylinder Wärtsilä 16V46CR EnviroEngine marine diesel engines generating a combined 67,200 kW (90,100 hp) at 514 rpm, as well as two General Electric LM2500+ gas turbines which together provide a further 50,000 kW (67,000 hp). Such a combined arrangement, known as CODLAG (Combined Diesel Electric And Gas turbine), provides for economical cruising at low speed combined with an ability to sustain much higher speeds when required, and has been common in naval vessels for some time.[12] ...[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary_2#cite_note-39][/url]

The Dawn, as an example, when it was doing the seven day and three-four stops out of NY had to run basically at full speed(24.5 knots) all the time. A ship can do more for short distances and when its in the gulf stream or other current gets the advantage of that too so it can go faster. But running at full speed all the time kicks the heck out of the engines. The new-er itineraries are slower with speeds only about 18 knots needed. that is a big difference is both fuel consumption and wear and tear on the engines and gives more leeway for a late departure somewhere when it has a late departure that they need to make up. the Bermuda run has had more time not docked for revenue and ease on the engines as well....

the slower the ship, the less movement you feel and the less seasick you will get

During a tour of the bridge on the Jewel, the Captain said the ship had to be at cruising speed for the stabilizers to work efficiently.

Al

I think that ship speed is really irrelivant. The two NCL cruises we've been on the average speed was 22knots. On our upcoming cruise in Nov. our first stop is Grand Stirup Cay in the Bahamas 140 nautical miles (approx) from Miami. Leaving at 4 p.m. on sunday and arriving 16 hours later (8 a.m monday)......do the math. Can't..? At 10 knots we would blow-by the island by 20 or so miles.:cool: It's all about scheduling and timing for whatever reason (s). I think I read where their top speed can be up to 28-30 knots.

I'll agree max speeds really don't matter much if you're sailing from Miami because the Bahamas ports are so close, but it does matter if you're sailing from New York. Speed, time, and distances really effects what type of itineraries ships sailing from New York can do in a week or in two weeks.

Archived