Drydock Expectations

What do you expect from a ship that comes back from drydock? I expect that the overall ship will be cleaned and in good repair. The ship should run well and look new, or close to it, IMHO. That being said, what is important to you? Do you think that NCL uses dry dock effectively? I would love to hear from people who have sailed on one of their ships within a few months of it's drydock. Was it what you expected?

What do you expect from a ship that comes back from drydock? I expect that the overall ship will be cleaned and in good repair. The ship should run well and look new, or close to it, IMHO. That being said, what is important to you? Do you think that NCL uses dry dock effectively? I would love to hear from people who have sailed on one of their ships within a few months of it's drydock. Was it what you expected?

Ships go into dry dock for all kinds of reasons. Since it costs the company a great deal of money in terms of both cost and lost revenue, it is not something they want to do very often, and I'm sure they use the dry dock time efficiently and effectively, to address whatever major problems put the ship in dry dock in the first place.

I don't consider cleaning and regular repair of passenger spaces to be something that requires a dry-docking. This should be going on all the time, and on NCL, I feel that they're very good about it.

We just came off the Spirit, which I believe hasn't been in dry dock in some time, and overall it was in excellent shape. The worst I could see in our cabin was a patch of veneer torn off the media center, and some doors that where difficult to shut or wouldn't stay open.

We're headed to the Dawn in December, and I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like. It will be more or less freshly out of dry dock and a large interior rebuild, and I'm anxious to see how it compares to the other NCL ships we've been on.

We were recently on the Sun, just a few weeks before it went into dry dock. You could see the wear and tear on it in all the passenger spaces, but I did not encounter anything broken or not working.

Not sure if that answers the questions you posed or not, but that's been the range of my experiences with dry docking, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Dawn at the end of the year.

Archived