Pre-cruise hotel in Venice

Grandad

We have booked on Quest on 17 November and our package includes flights and one night hotel stay in Venice pre-cruise (package booked with Iglu). Does anyone know what hotel is likely to be used in Venice - I'd like to book opera tickets but am concerned that the hotel will be a long way out and we will have trouble getting back there in the evening. Any help will be much appreciated.

By a distance most posters on this UK package have been allocated the Crowne Plaza, in Quarto D'atino. There may be a better than even chance you get the same hotel, it is a twenty minute train trip to the island.

By a distance most posters on this UK package have been allocated the Crowne Plaza, in Quarto D'atino. There may be a better than even chance you get the same hotel, it is a twenty minute train trip to the island.

We stayed there pre and post cruise and found it very convenient. We walked 20-30 min to a little town and bought wine for 1.5 Euros:D Big difference in price than at the cruise port. The train station is a 3 min walk from the hotel and the trip to and from Venice is a breeze. Also easy (hotel shuttle) to and from the airport. Post cruise we went directly to the hotel, dumped our luggage and jumped on the next train back into Venice, spent the day and came back after dinner. Worked for us as my DH did not want to shlepp his luggage around Venice (on and off Vaporetto's etc)

We've visited Venice so many times I've lost track. My advice to all visitors is to stay right in Venice whenever possible particularly if you want to enjoy the city at night (which is always magical but particularly during the summer). Hotels are much less expensive out of the city but that's for a reason. The Opera house (La Fenice) is fabulous and a night at the opera there is a special treat that I highly recommend. The train station can be reached by foot from La Fenice but it is a bit of a hike if you are dressed for the opera (particularly if that means high heels). In addition to attending an opera, the tour of La Fenice is also highly recommended (but best to book in advance as it often is sold out). As you may know, La Fenice has burned down (more than once) and been rebuilt. The most recent rebuild is spectacular and worthy of a tour to learn more about it. I do hope you get to the opera!

Cheers

P.S. Tickets in the boxes at the opera often mean you can hardly see the stage. The rebuild is historically accurate which means the boxes were designed in order for patrons to see and be seen rather than see the stage (boxes were used mainly for socializing). So if you really want to see the opera don't get a box seat along either of the sides (but the sound is wonderful in all seats).

We are booked on the same cruise package. The allocated hotel will be on your reservation on the Azamara website. Ours was indeed the Crowne Plaza which is located outside Venice in the area of the airport I believe.

We contacted our TA to upgrade to one of the other hotels they offer on Venice island and paid a supplement, possible paying most of the cost of the hotel. We thought it was worth it as it is right on the Grand Canal with porters to collect your luggage off the vapouretto.

We have booked on Quest on 17 November and our package includes flights and one night hotel stay in Venice pre-cruise (package booked with Iglu). Does anyone know what hotel is likely to be used in Venice - I'd like to book opera tickets but am concerned that the hotel will be a long way out and we will have trouble getting back there in the evening. Any help will be much appreciated.

HI Grandad

I don't want to put a dampener on your enthusiasm but according to La Fenice website there are no performances on the 16th or 17th November. We had the same problem on our last overnight at Venice.

If you go back to Venice, there is a small hotel right beside the opera called "Hotel La Fenice et des Artistes". We stayed there and got a huge room overlooking the small square beside the theatre. We would definitely stay there again.

All the best

B&T

If staying in Venice with an extra fee is an option that is feasible for you I'd highly recommend it. We too have enjoyed Hotel La Fenice et des Aretistes (we prefer the old part of that hotel) but there isn't canal access right at the hotel so if getting your bags a little distance on foot is a challenge look for a place that says it has water access (then be prepared to pay a lot for a water taxi...but the ride is pretty special!).

Thanks very much B&T - the opera isn't at La Fenice, it's in one of the palazzos and there aren't many tickets. So I guess we'll just have to wait to hear which hotel it is - I don't think we'll get a choice and the name of the hotel isn't on our on-line details (yet) or anywhere else that I can find on the Azamara website.

Our Hotel is on our reservation details on the Azamara website and has been since we booked. We too travel from London and I noticed you said on another post that you had your flights information. We don't so far.....so what times are your flights Grandad, as I imagine will will be on them too.

Thanks

Koukla-mou

Horrible flight out:

16 Nov - AZ201 Heathrow to Rome 0730, arrives Rome 11.00

AZ1475 Rome to Venice 13.20, arrives Venice 14.25

27 Nov - BA 641 Athens to Heathrow14.25, arrives Heathrow 16.20

I bet you're wishing you hadn't asked now!! I did query the flight with Iglu (travel agent we booked with) as they hadn't mentioned the split flight when I booked, but they told me this was all that is available.

Iglu say they don't know which hotel at the moment. Their price was good but information was sadly lacking and I didn't think to ask when booking as I was so excited!

Thanks for that Grandad!! I guess we will be on the same flights. We booked with cruise.co.uk and we told the flights info wasn't available yet.

If we check our reservation on the TA site we are directed straight to Azamara website and can log in using our Booking Ref. We can see the hotel details but the flight only says Heathrow to Venice, Athens to Heathrow.

Can you not login to see your Hotel?

This is my earlier post. We upgraded to the Carlton Grand Canal paying a supplement.

We are booked on the same cruise package. The allocated hotel will be on your reservation on the Azamara website. Ours was indeed the Crowne Plaza which is located outside Venice in the area of the airport I believe.

We contacted our TA to upgrade to one of the other hotels they offer on Venice island and paid a supplement, possibly paying most of the cost of the hotel. We thought it was worth it as it is right on the Grand Canal with porters to collect your luggage off the vapouretto.

quote.gif

Archived