Renting a car- questions

rhcpchika1

Hi All!

Has anyone rented a car while in port at GC?

I know we are going through Avis CICO.

I just cannot decide if it is worth the extra $21 for the collision and damage insurance? (OPINIONS needed! :))

Also, does it really take an hour to drive from one side of the island to the other?

Thanks,

Sam

We rent a car when we stay on the island, so I think I can answer.

We always buy full insurance for the rental. We found that our Auto Insurance, and or using a high end credit card which offers rental insurance, does not work in GC. Even if it does, there may be a hefty out of pocket cash requirement.

If you think your insurance will cover you, verify this before you leave home. I would suggest that you be specific about GC when asking.

It can easily take an hour or longer to go from Georgetown to the East End or Rum Point.

Chuck

Many credit cards will cover your C&D/Loss of Use, so check with your various cards to see if they have it as a perk. It is the 3rd party liability that is not usually covered (i.e. should you cause an accident that results in injury or property damage to another person), so that is usually the optional insurance that needs to be considered for purchase.

Gotta check with you CC issuer to find out if your covered on GC. Some do, some don't. I always go ahead and get all the coverage I can.

Also when I'm searching for car rental in the Caribbean I find out what the deductible is. They can vary widely and many of the rental agencies don't post this. You could be in for a big surprise even if you have the extra coverage.

Don't forget they drive on the other side of the road than we do in the US. My husband is a great driver and found driving on the island to be quite difficult. We added the extra coverage and my husband rents cars weekly stateside and does not get the additonal coverage. As stated, it is different in GC. You don't want to end up missing the ship if you have an accident and there is a problem with coverage.

Archived