Different Cabins for Different Prices?

cdamion

I didn't realize Carnival did this, but I was checking the prices on my upcoming cruise and saw that balcony availability varied with the type of fare.

For instance:

Past Guest: Only obstructed balcony available

Early Saver: Only obstructed or extended balcony available

Cash Back & Fun Saver: Obstructed, regular, and extended available

Has this always been the case?

EDIT: Just realized the title of the thread looks stupid but I cant edit it.

All specialty fare codes, past guest, military, etc are 'capacity controlled.' In other words, only a specific percentage of cabins (and in some cases only specific cabins...) are available with that discount...

:)

All specialty fare codes, past guest, military, etc are 'capacity controlled.' In other words, only a specific percentage of cabins (and in some cases only specific cabins...) are available with that discount...

:)

I had no idea that the different fare codes were capacity controlled.

Bad sign hoping for any type of price reduction for this particular trip.

Yes, they even seem to do it on cruises that are still a very long way off.

I'm looking at Magic for August 19, 2012, and there are no 8A balconies under ES, although they are available under PG.

I need two cabins, and I may end up with one PG and one ES.

Wow, this is new to me......we have always booked fairly far out and have always gotten the cabin and catagory I wanted on ES......maybe if it is capacity controlled I am booking so far out that not much has been booked yet so the availability is still good?? Never had a problem getting what I wanted. Nice to know, thanks for sharing this!

On May 31st we booked an Early Saver interior spa cabin on the transatlantic Breeze for November 2012. As of two or three weeks ago there are no more spa interiors available except for Fun Select at a cost of $500 more than we paid for our cabin. We have never booked that far out before but I'm glad we did this time. My guess is that we'll never get a price drop, but I think the spa amenities will be great! I'm sure I'll keep this experience in mind when I book next time.

Our last cruise I booked too late to have early saver, and there were no 8F cabins available when I booked, no matter what program or fare type. We booked an 8C balcony instead under some kind of past guest upgrade rate. One month before our sailing suddenly the entire group of 8F balcony cabins on the promenade deck opened up, and we had our travel agent upgrade our cabin for us. The price we paid at the time of upgrade was lower than it would have been to book our original 8C without the PG rate, so I got very lucky since I just happened to be browsing the Carnival website at the right time to notice the change.

Archived