Help with entire Western itinerary

beckyjohns

We are cruising in October to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya. My husband and I plan to dive in 2 of the ports. We also plan to take our kids (4 years old) snorkeling in 2 of the ports. My question is, which ports are better for snorkeling vs diving?

As for the snorkeling trips with the kids, I would like a place where we can snorkel close to the beach. They haven't snorkeled before, so if they decide they hate it, it would be nice to be on a beach where we can just hang out, rather than being stuck on a boat.

We definitely want to dive in Cozumel, not snorkel. I have heard that the snorkeling from shore is great in Roatan, so I'm leaning towards that, but am open to suggestions. As for Belize and Costa Maya, we're open to either. We have dove in both places, but nothing that makes me say "I must go back"!!!

We are cruising in October to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya. My husband and I plan to dive in 2 of the ports. We also plan to take our kids (4 years old) snorkeling in 2 of the ports. My question is, which ports are better for snorkeling vs diving?

As for the snorkeling trips with the kids, I would like a place where we can snorkel close to the beach. They haven't snorkeled before, so if they decide they hate it, it would be nice to be on a beach where we can just hang out, rather than being stuck on a boat.

We definitely want to dive in Cozumel, not snorkel. I have heard that the snorkeling from shore is great in Roatan, so I'm leaning towards that, but am open to suggestions. As for Belize and Costa Maya, we're open to either. We have dove in both places, but nothing that makes me say "I must go back"!!!

I can only comment on Roatan (which we will be returning to in a couple of weeks). We snorkeled from shore at Half Moon Resort (close to the West End). Took a cab there, no fee to enter (just ask that you purchase drinks and food -- which are great and very reasonably priced). There is a nice deck area to lounge in the shade or sun, and a dock where you go into the water and literally straight into the reef. I didn't really notice any sandy area of the beach, but amazing for snorkeling. You can check out their website. There may be another place that works with a sandy beach. This one is an enclosed small, small bay, so had no waves (even though others that went snorkeling on another area of the island say the waves were bad).

If I wanted a beach for beginner snorkelers I would have to pick Tabyanna on Roatan. They can wade to the reef. There is also a good dive at a wreck that is available thru several companies, but you need to book it early.

There is a reef that shelters the beach at Costa Maya. You can walk or take a taxi to town and there are several places where you can lounge on the beach or take a short boat trip out to the reef.

If I had my pick for scuba it would be with Eagle Ray, or Mystic on Cozumel.

I have snorkeled Belize but have not dove. The reef and water has been good snorkeling though.

For young children experimenting with snorkeling, I would also choose Tabyana beach in Roatan. The reef is close to beach, there's barely any swell or current to deal with.

The reef off of Belize is amazing & beautiful, but it's out some distance and, when I was there a week ago, had a strong current and moderate swell running. I don't think it would be suitable for very young children.

Archived