Getting to St Mark's quickly!

jones4664

Hope someone can help us with this...we dock at 1:00pm on Ruby Princess in Venice. The only time to book advance tickets into St Mark's was at 2:05 to bypass the lines so I did. It won't be a huge problem if we miss the time, we'd just have to wait in the long line. But my question is whether you think the Princess shuttle to St Mark's or the aliaguna might be quicker?

Thanks for any help:)

Odds are the ship's shuttle will be faster, for two reasons.

First, the next Alilaguna boat after your arrival isn't until 1:28 PM, arriving at San Marco at 1:50 PM.

Second, the Alilaguna makes two stops before San Marco while, presumably, the ship's shuttle is non-stop.

Alilaguna schedule here: http://www.alilaguna.it/lineablu.html

It really would depend how quickly Princess starts the shuttle. Also, maybe they could give priority to people with booked tours? If the Alilaguna arrives San Marco at 1:50 that gives you plenty of time to make your 2:05 entrance.

My copy of the printed Alilaguna schedule does not show an express route from the port to San Marco. The blue line has two stops on the way, but is still very quick at 22 minutes.

In addition, I don't think you'll have problems with your St. Mark's ticket if you're late. We had tickets for July 11. The entry guard barely looked at them and pointed us to the back of the relatively short line for people with reservations. As far as I could tell, as long as you had a ticket, you were getting in. They didn't seem to be turning anyone away who had a ticket.

Unlike the Leaning Tower in Pisa or the Accademia/David in Florence, St. Mark's is massive and there is a continuous flow of people in (i.e., the people in the "no reservations line"), so it's not as if they're limiting total entry to just a couple dozen people every 10-15 minutes.

I am confused:( Do you need some kind of ticket to get in to St Mark's Square? I thought it was a open plaza.

St. Mark's square is an open plaza --- however, it gets its name from the basillica that sits at the head of the square. You don't need a ticket to get in, but you will stand a long time without one. Entry is free and it shouldn't be missed. If you get Rick Steves' Venice guidebook, he also gives good advice for avoiding the line.

As a previous poster stated, they will not look hard at your ticket - barely glance. But they will make sure you are dressed appropriately!

The advance tickets are 1 Euro per person -- basically a token payment to complete the transaction. And to ensure there is no misunderstanding, the staff check the tickets if you are in the "with reservations" line. I just don't think they scrutinize them closely to ensure you're not 5 minutes late.

Archived