Last Minute Endeavour Questions

5 days to go to Galapagos!

I'm just packing and wanted to get some advice. PLease indulge these crazy questions if you have the knowledge and time to answer. Is there soap and shampoo provided? Are there washing machines? I'm taking a three year old, and will definitely have to do some laundry,so I want to take my sink kit and line if there are no machines. Are the plugs the same as US plugs or do I need a converter? Are there reading lights by the bed or do I need to bring a book light?

I did the Galapagos trip on the Endeavour last year. Yes, soap and shampoo are provided. There are no washing machines but you can have laundry done for an additional charge. The electrical outlets are for standard US plugs. I can't remember about the reading lights because there was really no time to read in bed. On this trip most people are going full speed all day and there's not a lot of time to relax. Have a great trip - you'll come back with a whole new outlook on nature and wildlife. There is no place on earth like Galapagos.

Hi, I've also gone on this trip and this ship with NG/Lindblad, and FYI, there is a retractable clothes line in the (tiny) bathroom, which I used for handwashing. I also used the laundry service, because I packed very light, using just a carry-on which included my snorkel and shorty wet suit!

I was just wondering about your 3-year-old and whether Lindblad has a life jacket that small. You may want to call them about that, because every landing involves riding in the Zodiaks, even initial boarding, and you may need to pack one to fit her.

Have a great trip!

Hi, I've also gone on this trip and this ship with NG/Lindblad, and FYI, there is a retractable clothes line in the (tiny) bathroom, which I used for handwashing. I also used the laundry service, because I packed very light, using just a carry-on which included my snorkel and shorty wet suit!

I was just wondering about your 3-year-old and whether Lindblad has a life jacket that small. You may want to call them about that, because every landing involves riding in the Zodiaks, even initial boarding, and you may need to pack one to fit her.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the tips!

Yes, they have life jackets for the tiny one. She's the smallest kid on this sailing, but there are actually 25 children this week! (Next youngest is 5.)

Hello, again...I was just reading another thread and saw your earlier questions about taking your young daughter to Galapagos. I thought I would just chime in on a couple of things.

You had mentioned that you would be taking turns on the beach instead of snorkeling. One of the great things about the Endeavour is that there is a glass-bottom boat aboard that they put into the water for non-snorkelers, so you and the baby can still get out there and see what's going on underwater.

And, regarding getting into and out of the Zodiacs with her, yes, the water can be choppy, but NG/Lindblad has a "system" of helping folks in and out. They are very good at it, and they will be very helpful to you, I am sure. In fact, I would expect that everyone who works on the ship will be very caring and helpful to you.

You will have to let us know you like traveling with Lindblad. My DH and I have been on three NG/Lindblad expeditions, with our fourth coming up Spring 2012. Every trip has been outstanding.

Yes there is one outlet on the desk by the mirror that is US. If you will have multiple items that need charging, consider bringing a strip outlet. There is a hairdryer provided, but it works on the local plug. No worries though as there is an outlet just for it outside the bathroom door. There are reading lights, but I can't remember if they're super bright (might interfere with your little one). And one more little hint-there is a dryer upstairs in the workout room. It's small and old, but it worked back in Feb. I found it by accident when exploring the ship later in the trip. Wish I'd found it earlier! I washed my clothes in the sink (quick drying type). Next time though, I will pay for the laundry service. When I went it was very hot and muggy. The sink washing didn't quite cut it, if you know what I mean! Drying my clothes took some time too. There is a fan mounted on the wall in the rooms and I somehow managed to hang the clothes over it to speed up the process. There is a clothes line in the mini shower, and a dispenser for shampoo and body wash (eco-friendly). They provided a little tiny bottle of lotion and conditioner, but I brought my own. Water bottles will be provided to take ashore and use for the week. There are refill stations in the stair wells. They suggest you not drink the water from the tap only because the pipes are old and rusty. It won' hurt you, but doesn't taste too great. They will provide a pitcher in your room that you fill on your own. They maid service is wonderful-they come in like 3x a day. You will also see them working in the dining room, so they do double duty. The staff is all wonderful. Don't be afraid to ask for anything-they will do all they can to help you. Have a wonderful trip and be sure to take lots of photos!

Archived