UK Cruisers with Hotel Transport Q's

Lyn Mc

Hi 138east - thanks for the advice have opened this new thread

There are 4 of us flying into JFK, now realise we should have flown into Newark but too late!!

Looking for a reasonably priced hotel $200 to $250 per night in a good area 138east recommended the Hilton near to Penn Station and a site called Hotwire which I will check out

I found a good reviewed hotel on Tripadvisor The Affinia Shelburne on Lexington - above our original price bracket though, I'll go see if it is on Hotwire and check out the others mentioned in the Cape Liberty thread. Is Lexington is a good area to stay for sightseeing. Or would you suggest something further west of the city.

Not sure what the NJ transit train or PATH is, sounds very reasonable though, so will be busy on the internet for a while!!!

Thank you so much for all the advice so far.

Lyn

Hi 138east - thanks for the advice have opened this new thread

There are 4 of us flying into JFK, now realise we should have flown into Newark but too late!!

Looking for a reasonably priced hotel $200 to $250 per night in a good area 138east recommended the Hilton near to Penn Station and a site called Hotwire which I will check out

I found a good reviewed hotel on Tripadvisor The Affinia Shelburne on Lexington - above our original price bracket though, I'll go see if it is on Hotwire and check out the others mentioned in the Cape Liberty thread. Is Lexington is a good area to stay for sightseeing. Or would you suggest something further west of the city.

Not sure what the NJ transit train or PATH is, sounds very reasonable though, so will be busy on the internet for a while!!!

Thank you so much for all the advice so far.

Lyn

the NJ transit or Path trains wont help you from JFK. the best way to get from JFK to your hotel in manhattan would be car service. try dial 7's (212)777-7777. lexington is fine to stay at. the affinia is in a great location as it is right near grand central terminal which is a major subway stop where you can connect to the west side, uptown, downtown, wherever you want to sightsee you can get there from grand central.

Just some clarification. The OP is flying into JFK and cruising from Bayonne and wants a chance to see some of New York - their window of opportunity is an afternoon arrival at JFK, a following day sailing from Bayonne, and a $200-$250 budget.

OP - what is your sail date? How many rooms?

When I looked for them they I couldn't find anything in their budget in NYC, but the Hilton Penn Station Newark was in their range. However, they would obviously like to stay in Manhattan for 1 night if they can.

If you go above East 96th Street and Lexington Avenue, it gets a bit dicey. I thought that I saw on hotwire.com, "central park" area hotels in the $160 a night range

lexington and 38th street

Lyn ~

Just a few quick comments.

Yes, the Affinia Shelburne is in a fine location, and the hotel gets very good reviews on another major hotel booking website. Moreover, it's a particularly convenient location if you are coming into Manhattan from JFK. (I'm assuming you'll be landing at JFK in late afternoon or early evening, and therefore your time for sightseeing will be extremely limited. You'll want to spend as little time as possible getting from the airport to your hotel.)

You may find something else at a lower price, but good hotels in Manhattan are like good hotels in London--extremely pricy!

Re. your question about PATH and NJ Transit trains:

The PATH train is a subway (underground train) that runs between Manhattan and a few locations just across the Hudson River in New Jersey. If you are looking for the least expensive way to get from Manhattan to Bayonne (aka Cape Liberty), you can make use of the PATH train. (More details about that later, if you wish.) Incidentally, PATH is an acronym for "Port Authority Trans-Hudson." You don't need to know that, but now you do!;)

NJ [New Jersey] Transit trains are commuter trains that run out of Penn Station, New York, to various cities and towns throughout the state of New Jersey.

Thanks for all the information. Am learning fast.

138east - you are right we have decided that our budget is not enough and would like to be in Manhattan and the Affinia Shelburne doesn't blow the budget too much!! I don't know if this hotel will be on Hotwire.

We land at 12.20 pm on the 17th November and sail on the 18th November so if we can arrange for a car pick up, hope to be in the Manhattan area sometime mid afternoon.

Once we have a hotel booked we can start to sort out the transport. Thanks for the tips for dial 7's, piece of mind to know you can have transport booked before you leave.

So grateful for the help.

Lyn

In the New York Hotwire market, the chances of a particular hotel being on Hotwire are low. I'm not seeing the Affinia on the Hotwire list for midtown east.

However, I am seeing a 3* hotel in midtown central right now for $189 for Nov 17 with fitness, pool, restaurant, and internet. This is likely to be the Holiday Inn midtown on 57th St. Cruisers have stayed there and have recommended it in the past. It's located near Columbus Circle on the southwest corner of Central Park - an excellent location for walking a loop around midtown including Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and 5th Ave.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help you have all given.

We have now booked the Affinia Shelbure direct with the hotel.

We will book a car service with dial 7's from JFK to Manhattan and then to the pier the next morning.

On the return, any tips on the time to ask for a pick up - what is customs like at the Pier are there usually very long lines for non US? We don't fly until 6.00 pm but don't want to be stuck in the airport all day, not sure what we can do with all our luggage. Do hotels have day-rooms, storage if we booked for lunch?

Thanks

Lyn Mc

Archived