Kaui help???

TeamTnC

My wife and I leave for Hawaii on Sunday aboard POA. We are looking for something to do on the second day. Since the ship leaves at 1:00 we really only have a few hours in the morning to do something. Does anyone have any exciting ideas? We were thinking about renting a car and going to Waimea canyon, but not sure how much time we would need to spend there, what time it opens, how far from the ship etc. We are open to any suggestions, we like adventure. Thanks in advance.

My answer would depend on what you have planned for the first day. More detail please?

BTW, to go to Waimea Canyon you would need to get the rental car the night before and park at the pier (no charge, at least last time we did it). I say this because Waimea (with any time to stop and gawk) is at least 5 hours RT from the port. To be safe, you should leave the ship by 7 am (or earlier) so you can be back by 12:30 at the latest. There is really no point in doing it if all you are going to do is drive to the top and drive back. You really need to leave time for several view stops and a stop at Koke'e lodge. Plus, you never know what's going to happen on the road--be safe and don't miss the ship.

That said, if you pick up the rental the night before (no extra charge because you'd return within 24 hours anyway) and if you leave early, you should have no problem. It is well worth the effort--even if you've seen the Grand Canyon (I have and was still amazed by the beauty and scope). Plus the views from the very top over to the western valley (Na Pali area) are spectacular.

What other things did you have in mind? If I've done it, I'll be happy to give you my opinion. You will love Kauai no matter what you choose.

beachchick

Thank you for posting. The first day we are doing the extreme ATV into the rain forest through the ship. We thought about renting the car teh nioght before and doind what you said, but were not sure how long of a trip it is. I agree we do not want to take 5 hours just to spend 5 minutes at the canyon. Does it have a time that the park opens? We are early risers anyway so getting up early and going should be no problem. We really do not have any other ideas of what we can do if we do not go out there.

Take an early morning chopper ride. You will not only see the Canyon you will see it from the inside out. Plus you will see the Napali Coast, Fantasy Island Falls, Mt. Waialeale...the wettest spot on Earth. Safari helicopters will pick you up at the pier and return you and you won't be stressed over maybe missing the ship. Email me at ukbballfan78@yahoo.com if you'd like some pics of the flight or go to

http://community.webshots.com/album/297568827YuYokS

to see some pics I have posted.

Sorry, I don't have any info on hours for Waimea Canyon. The Lodge at Koke'e has cabins available, which people rent as accomodations, so I assume that you can come and go through the canyon anytime--don't think they would "trap" their guests in the cabins at night.

beachchick

Archived