Jewel Courtyard Villa questions...

whale-watcher

I know the ship is not even built yet, so there may not be any answers for these questions, but...

Does anyone know if the A3 suites will have 2 separate bathrooms? Also, will the bedrooms actually be separate rooms, or just part of a larger room. We have three children, and usually get two staterooms (mostly to have 2 bathrooms, as DD is 14...)

Will the courtyard area have a covering, allowing use of the pool in cooler weather? (we are thinking of the September 18 Canada/New England sailing, and this could be a nice feature).

Does the suite Butler room service menu include items from the speciality restaurants (such as Chin Chin or Le Bistro)?

Thanks in advance -- I'm always amazed at the wealth of information to be had from Cruise Critic users!

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the A3 villas have two bedrooms, and are set up much like the AB suites. The A2 villas have only one bedroom.

From the drawings in the NCL book in front of me, the Courtyard Villa pool is partially covered with a clear roof.

It does have elevators drawn in on the floor plan, although access to the top deck looks like it is by stairs.

Does anyone know how you access the courtyard suite level -- is it by elevator only, or are there steps going up...again, probably no real answer at this point, but just in case...

There answer is not clear but here is some info from the 8/23/2005 roll call. More questions then a real answer.

Late last week I met the NCL rep for our area at my TA's office. He was able to clarify a number of details we were getting the run-around-on from NCL. I asked him about access to deck 14 with the villas and he stated it was a public area. I asked him how that could be since the garden villa, courtyard villas and some suites (owner's on 9 & 10 I believe) were the only ones with access. I was concerned about large numbers of the general public wandering around the open area. Basically anyone can take the elevator to the 14th floor, however only those with an access card will be allowed through the doors into the courtyard area. According to the rep, the butler will be stationed on that floor controlling the access. Hmmm. I don't see how that is going to work considering the butler will be looking after the owner suites as well on a different deck. He /she can't be in 2 places at one time. However, I was assured that passenger safety and villa security will be a priority.

Whalewatcher, First welcome to the 9/18 cruise, DW and I will celebrate our 50th in an A4 suite. When I inquired about the CV's, I was told the A3 was 2 separate BR's but it wasn't clear if the children's room had its own bathroom. MY TA was able to get lots of info from NCL, but you may need to get to the correct person. There was another thread on this board that had a detail list of all the perks for the different suites. A3 to AE all had the same perks.

Regards, Jack

I know the ship is not even built yet, so there may not be any answers for these questions, but...

Does anyone know if the A3 suites will have 2 separate bathrooms? Also, will the bedrooms actually be separate rooms, or just part of a larger room. We have three children, and usually get two staterooms (mostly to have 2 bathrooms, as DD is 14...)

Will the courtyard area have a covering, allowing use of the pool in cooler weather? (we are thinking of the September 18 Canada/New England sailing, and this could be a nice feature).

Does the suite Butler room service menu include items from the speciality restaurants (such as Chin Chin or Le Bistro)?

Thanks in advance -- I'm always amazed at the wealth of information to be had from Cruise Critic users!

We booked one of the Courtyard Villas for the Oct. 10th New England/Canada cruise and I had the same concerns about the pool. I was advised by a representative of MeyerWerft in Germany where the ship is being constructed that the glass roof over the courtyard is not as shown in the brochure- it is a retractable roof that can be opened or closed according to the weather. In addition, the courtyard pool will be heated. If I get further information, I will pass it on. The courtyard villas are indeed a unique feature not available, to my knowledge, on any other cruise ship (having a private swimming pool).

We booked one of the Courtyard Villas for the Oct. 10th New England/Canada cruise and I had the same concerns about the pool. I was advised by a representative of MeyerWerft in Germany where the ship is being constructed that the glass roof over the courtyard is not as shown in the brochure- it is a retractable roof that can be opened or closed according to the weather. In addition, the courtyard pool will be heated. If I get further information, I will pass it on. The courtyard villas are indeed a unique feature not available, to my knowledge, on any other cruise ship (having a private swimming pool).

Not exactly private but restricted to 40- 70 passengers depending on how many are booked per cabin.

Dolphins somehow I don't see you poolside with 30 kids in what looks like the spa lap pool on the Dawn ;)

Not exactly private but restricted to 40- 70 passengers depending on how many are booked per cabin.

Dolphins somehow I don't see you poolside with 30 kids in what looks like the spa lap pool on the Dawn ;)

Shoreguy- I doubt there will be at least 4 people in each of the 10 courtyard villa cabins, there are only 2 in ours. At least I can enjoy swimming laps before breakfast, something I couldn't do in the Dawn lap pool which was locked until 8AM. I am also sailing when hopefully, the kids are in school.

Shoreguy- I doubt there will be at least 4 people in each of the 10 courtyard villa cabins, there are only 2 in ours. At least I can enjoy swimming laps before breakfast, something I couldn't do in the Dawn lap pool which was locked until 8AM. I am also sailing when hopefully, the kids are in school.

You should be in great shape going to Canada with school in session. Xmas on the Jewel could be a very different experience. I was just poking a little fun at you :D

Cat A3 on the Jewel will have 2 separate bedrooms, one of which is a children's bedroom- only 1 bathroom though. As another post mentioned, there will be a retractable covering over the pool

I'm hoping someone of the maiden voyage of the Jewel will post information on what it is like onboard before we set sail.

From a safety point of view there would have to be stairs to the 14th floor in the event of an emergency, remember we are not suppoed to use the elevators. I'm not sure where they would be located, but suspect they would be close to or beside the elevator.

I know the garden villas have stairs to their own private deck and hot tub. If the pool by the courtyard villas is Dawn lap pool size, I might break down and use it early am or late pm. Anything smaller isn't worth the energy to get into my suit, unless it is a wave pool. To my way of thinking "private" means for your exclusive use, therefore the pool in the courtyard should be labelled "semi-private" if you can get 20 or more people sharing it. I would think 6 people floating aroound would make this pool look crowded. I also have a chuckle when hotels or even ships label pools for fitness/lap swimming as you can't swim properly unless you are a recreational swimmer. Most serious fitness swimmers or competitive swimmers are used to swimming for 1/2 to 2 hours with a distance of 3500 meters to 5500 meters for distance.

I'd like to view a courtyard villa for a future booking. Take a look at our GV for a view of yours.

For the price you pay for a GV we should have our own fitness equipment too. I notice in one of the bigger suites on a Celebrity ship you get this perk. The big drawback is price for the room. We have a better deal with NCL and more space!

Catch you all later, I'm off for a run.

Swmrgrl- It is my understanding that the courtyard villa residents will have their own gym and exercise machines as well as their own jacuzzi. As to the emergency stairway, I am sure there is a "crew only" staircase to deck 14 which can be used in an emergency.

Swmrgrl- It is my understanding that the courtyard villa residents will have their own gym and exercise machines as well as their own jacuzzi. As to the emergency stairway, I am sure there is a "crew only" staircase to deck 14 which can be used in an emergency.

Just looking at the Deck plan there seems to be a stairway. It would be the same one used for the GVs entrance from the Star Bar/Cagney's area. Am I missing something?

Just looking at the Deck plan there seems to be a stairway. It would be the same one used for the GVs entrance from the Star Bar/Cagney's area. Am I missing something?

The crew only staircases are not shown on the deck plans. I suspect there is one in the unmarked areas aft of the courtyard villas.

I looked at deck plans (from NCL book 2005-2006) and can see where the stairs are supposed to be. There is definately a set of stairs by the garden villas along with 4 elevators. I also see another set of 4 elevators at the opposite end. I am pleased to know that there is also some exercise equipment but don't know where it would be located based on the plans. Even if there is none, it doesn't matter - the spa is available.

Thanks for all the information. The covered pool/hot tub area sounds great, even if the pool is small, and the private sundeck should be a great quiet spot for watching the scenery (and whales:cool: ) on a scenic cruise such as Canada/New England...but if the AB Penthouse suite had 2 separate bathrooms, that would be a real bonus -- considering we will be travelling with our 14yo DD, who can spend HOURS in the bath. Any ideas?

We have previously cruised with Princess, and we were considering RC for our September cruise, but we like the Jewel itinerary, and it seems as though there are so many extra perks for the money on NCL, not to mention the whole Freestyle thing.

Thanks for all the information. The covered pool/hot tub area sounds great, even if the pool is small, and the private sundeck should be a great quiet spot for watching the scenery (and whales:cool: ) on a scenic cruise such as Canada/New England...but if the AB Penthouse suite had 2 separate bathrooms, that would be a real bonus -- considering we will be travelling with our 14yo DD, who can spend HOURS in the bath. Any ideas?

We have previously cruised with Princess, and we were considering RC for our September cruise, but we like the Jewel itinerary, and it seems as though there are so many extra perks for the money on NCL, not to mention the whole Freestyle thing.

The ABs have seperate bathrooms. Here is a link to the best pictures I have found of an AB. It is from the Star. They are the same on the Dawn and should be on the Jewel.

http://www.orcatekweb.com/Cabin-11550.htm

AB and A3 square footage is very close (AB 492 vs A3 487). I would bet the layout is the exact same. AB's have been very popular on Star and Dawn so it would only make sense to use the same layout if you have the same footage.

AB and A3 square footage is very close (AB 492 vs A3 487). I would bet the layout is the exact same. AB's have been very popular on Star and Dawn so it would only make sense to use the same layout if you have the same footage.

Mark

According to cabin details only one bathrom on the A3. :confused:

Cabin 14006

Crib (1)

Duvet (1)

Refrigerator (1)

Hair Dryer (1)

Telephone (1)

Safety Deposit Box (1)

Television (2)

Sitting Area (1)

Pier aft (1)

Sprinklers (1)

Starboard Side (1)

Bar Counter (1)

Private Balcony (1)

Bathtub (1)

Shower (1)

Whirlpool (1)

Pullman Bed (1)

Queen Size Bed (1)

Convertible Double Sofa Bed (1)

CD Library (1)

Digital Video Disc Library (1)

Digital Video Disc Player (1)

Stereo/CD Player (1)

Midship Section (1)

Oceanview Stateroom (1)

Butler Service (1)

Concierge (1)

Dining room area (1)

Courtyard Private Garden (1)

Courtyard Hot Tub (1)

Livingroom area (1)

Separate Bedroom (1)

Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors (1)

Balcony Square Footage (85)

Cabin Square Footage (487)

Private Sundeck (1)

Courtyard Pool (1)

Private Lounge (1)

Tea and Coffee Maker (1)

Master Bedroom (1)

Internet access (1)

The AB reads just about the same so I am confused :confused:

Cabin 11006

Sitting Area (1)

Crib (1)

Duvet (1)

Refrigerator (1)

Hair Dryer (1)

Telephone (1)

Safety Deposit Box (1)

Television (2)

Private Balcony (1)

Whirlpool (1)

Separate Shower (1)

Pullman Bed (1)

Queen Size Bed (1)

Convertible Double Sofa Bed (1)

CD Library (1)

Digital Video Disc Library (1)

Digital Video Disc Player (1)

Stereo/CD Player (1)

Oceanview Stateroom (1)

Butler Service (1)

Concierge (1)

Dining room area (1)

Livingroom area (1)

Separate Bedroom (1)

Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors (1)

Starboard Side (1)

Forward Section (1)

Pier forward (1)

Bathtub (1)

Balcony Square Footage (54)

Cabin Square Footage (492)

Bar Counter (1)

Connecting Room (11008)

Tea and Coffee Maker (1)

Sprinklers (1)

Master Bedroom (1)

Internet access (1)

Just to be thorough I looked up the cabin details for 11050 on the Star, which is so well detailed in the excellent link provided by shoreguy above...NCL doesn't specifically mention a second bathroom in the list of room features, even though it is present in the cabin....so I remain hopeful. I may need to take this cruise in the A3 suite just to solve the mystery...even though it would be such a sacrifice;)

Here are the cabin details for 11550 on the Star:

Cabin 11550

• Duvet
  • Refrigerator (1)
  • Hair Dryer (1)
  • Telephone (1)
  • Safety Deposit Box (1)
  • Television (3)
  • Private Balcony (1)
  • Separate Shower (1)
  • Bathtub (1)
  • Whirlpool (1)
  • Crib (1)
  • Pullman Bed (1)
  • Queen Size Bed (1)
  • Convertible Double Sofa Bed (1)
  • CD Library (1)
  • Stereo/CD Player (1)
  • Balcony Square Footage (81)
  • Oceanview Stateroom
  • Butler Service
  • Concierge
  • Dining room area (1)
  • Livingroom area (1)
  • Master Bedroom (1)
  • Separate Bedroom (1)
  • Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors (1)
  • Connecting Room (11552)
  • Midship Section
  • Port Side
  • Cabin Square Footage (493)
  • Pier forward
  • Sprinklers

As I was using the booking enbine at NCL to get cabin details. I discorved somthing of interest. If you look at the last line on the Jewel A3 and AB and compair to the Star you will not see internet access. I know the ABs on the Dawn have it.

The interesting thing is every cabin on the Jewel shows that same last line. Looks like this will be the first NCL ship with full internet access. Wired cabins opens the door for lots of other features like being able to check your bill online, online reservations , excursion booking from the cabin. I think I saw a press release on the POAM (NCLA) having most of that.

Nice upgrade.

Archived