Playa Bonita Beach in Costa Rica

UpstateCruizer

While scouring the web for info on Costa Rica my dh found a website for cruising reviews that had this listed about Playa Bonita Beach :

"Puerto Limon's Playa Bonita

Folks looking to spend the day relaxing at a beautiful beach do not have to go any further than Playa Bonita Beach some 4 kilometers from downtown Puerto Limon. It is a short taxi ride, but be sure to arrange for transportation back to the port. There is a restaurant and bar here, as well as a small shopping area. There is also a rideable left break here for surfers."

Has anyone here been to this beach? From the review it sounds like it's close to the port and something we'd definatly be interested in. However finding additional info has been difficult.

Thanks for any input ~!

I went a few years ago. Restaurant was al fresco on the beach, food was good and reasonably priced, service was spotty at best. The beach sand was an interesting shade of light brown. We hired Danilo Hall for the day and he brought us here towards the end of our day. The beach is sort of wide (distance from road to waters edge) but not long if I recall correctly.

I went a few years ago. Restaurant was al fresco on the beach, food was good and reasonably priced, service was spotty at best. The beach sand was an interesting shade of light brown. We hired Danilo Hall for the day and he brought us here towards the end of our day. The beach is sort of wide (distance from road to waters edge) but not long if I recall correctly.

Thank you for your reply :) Were there loungers on the beach? We are easy to please with some sunshine and a drink in our hand :)

Thank you for your reply :) Were there loungers on the beach? We are easy to please with some sunshine and a drink in our hand :)

I didn't see any, but things may have changed. This beach seemed more for locals (city park sort of feel) rather than the typical cookie-cutter tourist beach. We felt welcome though. Bring your beach towels just in case.

You probably won't find any lounge chairs on the caribbean side beaches of costa rica, have just spent several weeks there, and never really saw any place with chairs, unless brought from house or vacation rental.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Last night I talked to an experienced and trustworthy travel agent from Costa Rica. She warned me about swimming at Playa Bonita and I was told that some people drowned there due to the currents there, which were caused by an earthquake in 1991. Locals seem to know and avoid that place for swimming, but don't always pass over the warning to the tourists. Moreover the wastewater is directed into the sea at that place, which makes the water quality very poor.

Since Playa Bonita is a stop for many tours, I just want to pass over these information to you!

Archived