Best threads to learn about CCL & Paradise 3 day

sdmike

As a regular on the NCL board I know how frustrating it can be when somebody starts a new thread asking a million questions that have been discussed at length in the forums. So my tactic will be a bit different.

My wife and I are considering a quick 3 day weekend jaunt out of LA on the Paradise in the fall. Grandma will watch the kids (yay!) and we'll get our first "mom and dad only" cruise in 16 years. I've look at the itinerary and deck plans for the ship, plus have read all I can find on the CCL site. What you don't really get there are tips, an overview of how CCL handles eating options, information on optimal rooms, etc.

Instead of me asking a bunch of questions, does anyone have some favorite threads on this trip or the Paradise that will get me going? I am also in the process of reading the reviews posted here for the ship, but also thought there would be a wealth of info in the forums. I HAVE done a search and done a lot of reading, but I"m just picking up bits and pieces randomly. I'm hoping that something more comprehensive has been posted and I just can't find it.

Thanks in advance!

With Carnival's cookie cutter approach, to me you see one Fantasy class ship, and except for a few differences, they are alike. The 3 day menu is the same fleet wide.

Elation and Paradise that were off on the west coast are the only two ships that did not get the upgrade with waterworks.

I think asking specific questions is better than the "tell me everything about this ship" type of threads.

I think asking specific questions is better than the "tell me everything about this ship" type of threads.

I certainly agree, which is why I asked if there were any favorite threads. When people post "tell me everything about the Epic" (for example) there is a board-wide *groan*. :)

I've done only 4-day Paradise cruises, but I love the ship- she's easy to maneuver around, the only problem is going up to Promenade or down to Empress to get to the aft MDR if you're on the Atlantic Deck, & finding a seat to listen to music on Empress (we usually sit up on Promenade in window seats or in the bar). Decor isn't as gaudy as on other ships & crew seems to be very friendly. We love mid-ship inside cabins on Empress deck.

We do YTD & go early (usually get same wait-staff, even if we can't get same table). We love fruit soups, WCMC, & salads.

Lots of activities to keep you entertained & private nooks if you just want to read.

Hope this helps.;)

ok then, let's try this.. :)

I can get an oceanview GTY on the ship for $100 less in total than a reserved room. How risky is this? Said another way, are there any blocks of really undesirable rooms on ship that we would risk getting stuck with? I'm thinking very noisy due to location, a blocked view, etc. I don't care whether I'm fore, aft, stern, etc.

Looks like the oceanview rooms span from Deck 4 to deck 7, with the price going up as the floors do. I'm a little reluctant to have a room under public areas on older ships, but should I be concerned about anything from 4-6?

How to folks feel about the PT (porthole) rooms? I know they're far forward, but I suspect they will be a better price than standard oceanviews...although none are coming up available in my search. Also, are M14 and R12 actually bigger rooms than the rest, or is that just an issue with the deckplan maps? http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=PA

How does the anytime dining option work? Do you just choose that option at booking and then show up at the dining area when you want..similar to NCL freestyle? Anyone experience long waits doing this?

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more later.

Thanks

the only problem is going up to Promenade or down to Empress to get to the aft MDR if you're on the Atlantic Deck

Thanks. I had to look at a deck plan to see what you meant here. I'm assuming the need to go over or under the galley that blocks access to the aft dining room from the front of the ship on Atlantic, right? That looks like a bit of inconvenience but not too bad.

Depending on when you show up there might not be a wait at all, here is the faq on YTD

Your Time dining allows you to dine in the main dining room, at your leisure, anytime between 5:45 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Guests are seated first-come, first-serve, depending on party size. In most cases, guests are accommodated within 20 minutes. However, pagers are provided if all tables are occupied so guests can relax elsewhere on the ship until their table is ready. Due to the limited number of large table availability, parties with greater than 10 guests may need to be accommodated at different tables and in different areas of the dining room.

Right this is common on all carnival ships, you cant walk thru the galley, but on fantasy class its only one deck.

I would take almost any OV. Further aft is more vibration.

PTs are priced like a 4A, as a inside cabin, so maybe you are not seeing them because you are expecting them to be priced as a OV?

PTs are a excellent value, but if you can get a OV gty, thats great too. I love gtys.

Anytime dining you do just show up whenever you want, or some people wind up getting the same waiter and agreeing on a specific time. yes, choose your dining option when you book.

There are some lounges in the aft, so if you got right under one you could hear some noise. .. but I still love the surprise of a gty.

How does the anytime dining option work? Do you just choose that option at booking and then show up at the dining area when you want..similar to NCL freestyle? Anyone experience long waits doing this?

Thanks

We request ATD when we book. Right now we're confirmed for next Jan, but on wait-list for our cruise in Oct, we prefer ATD because we're not in such a rush to get ready (I use a walker, so I hate to hurry). The mid-ship MDR is used for ATD, you give them your name & cabin # & they check you in. We go between 6:15-6:30 & have never had to wait. lines happen on the hour when the Early diners line up first, so after they go, it's easy.

Thanks. I had to look at a deck plan to see what you meant here. I'm assuming the need to go over or under the galley that blocks access to the aft dining room from the front of the ship on Atlantic, right? That looks like a bit of inconvenience but not too bad.

Right- the bigger ships, like the Splendor has 2 MDRs so there's a separation (hard to get to if you're on the Lobby deck).

Great info folks. Thanks. I have an additional question about pricing. I know prices rise and fall at the whim of the line based on occupancy status, etc. but I'm noticing that the 8/5 sailing in a couple of days is $100 cheaper than the 19th when we are looking to go. At least it was on a couple of the cruise booking sites. Does CCL have a history of lowing prices right before the sailing to fill the ship? That's what it looks like for this weekend, but I don't want to wait to book if it's just as likely that the price increases. Having not sailed CCL before I'm not sure of the proper strategy here.

Thanks again

I actually found a site offering a discount for SoCal residents. However, there is no option to select ATD/YTD. If I just pick one can I just call CCL and have it set to YTD instead? NCL doesn't like to talk to you if you don't book directly with them :rolleyes:

Great info folks. Thanks. I have an additional question about pricing. I know prices rise and fall at the whim of the line based on occupancy status, etc. but I'm noticing that the 8/5 sailing in a couple of days is $100 cheaper than the 19th when we are looking to go. At least it was on a couple of the cruise booking sites. Does CCL have a history of lowing prices right before the sailing to fill the ship? That's what it looks like for this weekend, but I don't want to wait to book if it's just as likely that the price increases. Having not sailed CCL before I'm not sure of the proper strategy here.

Thanks again

Ive done many 3 nighters on the Paradise. Ive seen prices go up and down right before a cruise...its really hard to tell. Depends on bookings.

I will say though that the 8/12 sailing is on Pack n Go special right now, which is GTY rate.

https://www.goccl.com/content/specials/documents/PKGO.pdf

I sure like that GTY rate on the 12th, as it's $80 off per person, but my wife has already planned a big shindig for my 50th birthday on the 12th. Maybe I can get everyone to join us for an even BIGGER party. lol

The local resident rate for the 19th sailing is only $40 more than the 8/12 GTY, so unless we can find the same rate on the 19th it looks like $349 is the best price right now

Based on when you go in the fall, it can be dark as soon as 5:30'ish PM. It will be dark when you leave the port and dark when you return, so you have one "day" in Ensenada and one at sea. The motto of that cruise is "You can sleep when you get home". You're not going to be in your room a lot so you may want to consider that when valuing a window.

Unless I have specific or first hand experience with a cabin, I always try to get a cabin with another cabin above you, below you, and on both sides.

As far as discounting the cabin closer to departure time, I think all cruiselines do that (as well as airlines). I believe the three day out of LA is usually always sold out. So waiting until the last minute could backfire. If you like the price, book it, and enjoy the weekend.

If you can get away during the week, the 5 day to Cabo is less money, with a balcony!

I actually found a site offering a discount for SoCal residents. However, there is no option to select ATD/YTD. If I just pick one can I just call CCL and have it set to YTD instead? NCL doesn't like to talk to you if you don't book directly with them :rolleyes:

Carnival does not allow any site to advertise discounted fares, so if you are seeing that price, then its a carnival price and any site or direct from carnival will have the exact same price.

I would book direct if the TA is not offering perks under the table, why put a middle man there?

Maybe NCL allows discounting?? Carnival does not.

Carnival does not allow any site to advertise discounted fares, so if you are seeing that price, then its a carnival price and any site or direct from carnival will have the exact same price.

I would book direct if the TA is not offering perks under the table, why put a middle man there?

Maybe NCL allows discounting?? Carnival does not.

I didn't see any mention of a resident rate on Carnival's website, but it's likely worth a phone call...especially if I can drop a few extra dollars off by going porthole

I did have another question for those that have been on these ships. Some of the porthole rooms look significantly longer than others due to the curvature of the bow. Are they truly larger, or is that just a mistake in how the deck plans are drawn?

Hopefully a final question. There is a 6B available facing aft on that sailing. This is prime real estate on a lot of cruises, but wanted to check here. Other than the normal vibration issues that most ships have aft, how are these rooms on this class of ship?

Thanks for tolerating my questions everyone. I promise to make it stop soon. :)

I can get an oceanview GTY on the ship for $100 less in total than a reserved room. How risky is this? Said another way, are there any blocks of really undesirable rooms on ship that we would risk getting stuck with? I'm thinking very noisy due to location, a blocked view, etc. I don't care whether I'm fore, aft, stern, etc.

Looks like the oceanview rooms span from Deck 4 to deck 7, with the price going up as the floors do. I'm a little reluctant to have a room under public areas on older ships, but should I be concerned about anything from 4-6?

How to folks feel about the PT (porthole) rooms? I know they're far forward, but I suspect they will be a better price than standard oceanviews...although none are coming up available in my search. Also, are M14 and R12 actually bigger rooms than the rest, or is that just an issue with the deckplan maps? http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=PA

Thanks

My husband and I cruised the Paradise on a 4 day in early March. We only had the Conquest class to compare it to. The link to my review is in my signature below. It's picture-loaded, so hopefully this helps in your research.

Having previously tried an inside and a balcony, we booked a PT to try a new category. Plenty of room and storage but missed having a couch. Also, the footlocker in the corner is a PITA. It's in the OV's as well.

We liked the feel of a smaller ship and found it very easy to navigate. The room furnishings look dated but the rest of the ship is nice. It's by far the least expensive cruise we've ever booked - $194pp.

If you have any other specific questions, I'd be glad to answer.

~ Sheryl

I have pictures of the door to E9 and the door to the storage in the back of E7. I had assumed E7 was longer, but with the storage in the back, decided not to take it the next booking.

E9 is the door on the right, the door caty corner is the storage door to the back of E7. E7 looked signiticantly larger to me.. so you never can tell for sure?

Picture20115.jpg

If you look at this from a different angle, you can see the door to E7 further down the hallway around the angled hallway.

Picture20112.jpg

Just a picture of the portholes from inside the cabin.

Picture20111.jpg

Picture20115.jpg

I did have another question for those that have been on these ships. Some of the porthole rooms look significantly longer than others due to the curvature of the bow. Are they truly larger, or is that just a mistake in how the deck plans are drawn?

Yes, some are actually longer than others. I've had both. I really like the longer room as you are able to walk around the bed without tripping over that orange box.

I'll be on the Paradise on the 19th!

I don't know if you are set on an OV, but we have been on a few of the 3 and 4 day cruises and we got a tip on the interior rooms. We always get the interior rooms on the upper deck in the U-90's area. They are positioned differently and actually have more room than a regular interior room. On the 3 day, we are usually just in the room to sleep (or pass out). :D

Archived