Blackpool White Star Academy Course

YoungQE2Cruiser

Hi.

Just to let anyone who read my last post about applying for this course and was interested in how I got on, that I had the interview to start the White Star Academy course yesterday, and got it!! :D Therefore, I'll most probably be moving to Blackpool in September to start the course and will be on either the QE2 or the QM2 by Christmas! I can't wait!

There isn't really a website that I have managed to find for it really, although there is a small section on www.blackpool.ac.uk but its hard to find. Basically all it says is that Cunard run this course 2-3 times a year for 10 weeks and that it is an NVQ in Food and Drink Service.

I'm not really sure why I was chosen. In the interview they asked me about myself and my qualifications, so I discussed about my GCSE's and that I am just finishing my A Levels. Then I went on to say about my job in a restaurant, although I have no silver service experience. They are mainly interested in confidence, people skills and how dedicated you are going to be to the course. I then spoke to a man from Cunard about how I had been on the ship before and he was very pleased because that meant I had experienced the service from the other side and should be aware of how top class it is and how that dinner is not only about the excellent quality food, but also about the service. Finally, both men said that they would be happy to accept me onto the course and that it was a shame I could not start in April, but I have to finish my A Level's off first. Most of the other people's interviews lasted about 20minutes, but mine only went on for about 10, but everyone was basically asked the same thing. If you have any former experince or have taken any NVQ's in Food Service, they ask you a few technical questions and it means that you do not have to attend the college every day of the week. You only have to go in for the bits of the course you have not taken before. Cunard also helps you sort out a US work visa, a seaman's something or the other and pays for all accomodation, flights, uniform and food.

If anyone wants any more information on how to apply, feel free to ask me.

Thanks for the info. I was curious b/c I know someone who was interested in applying. Do they hire many Americans? Also, do you know what the pay would be? Thanks! It's nice to hear from someone actually going through the process.

YoungQEcruiser, from your enthusiasm it is easy to see why you were selected for you course. Please keep us updated on your progress, and future assignments.....perhaps in your future will be some stripes on your sleeve as a Hotel Manager on one of the ships.

Good Luck!

Rick J

Hello,

Congratulations!

How exciting to see your goals being realised.

I'm the one with the lengthy response to your first post.

I will be sailing on QE2 again Jan. 3 out of Southampton, hopefully you'll be aboard as well.

I'm sure it's forbidden for the White Star Academy cadets to seek out a passenger, so when the time grows near it would be great to learn your name so that I, and the rest of us here, can look out for you for a friendly greeting, and for a good word to the Maitre d'.

All the best of luck to you!

Kyle

I am hoping I will be on board the QE2 by January. I would prefer that to the QM2 but I have no say in which ship I am placed on unfortunately! Although they do hold the majority of the White Star Training on the QE2 so hopefully I'll get at least 3-4 weeks on there.

Thank you all for your responses and when I know further which ship I'll be on and when I will let you all know so you can seek me out if you wish! :)

Also, the pay starts at $750 dollars for the first 3-4 weeks, then once the course is finished Jnr Asst Waiter gets $1000 a month, Asst Waiter gets $1200 a month and then when promoted to Waiter/Waitress it goes up to $2200. But everything else ie accomodation and uniforms, laundry, food etc is paid for so the money's not bad. Plus the opportunity to be aboard a Cunard ship so what more could you ask for?!

Also, the pay starts at $750 dollars for the first 3-4 weeks, then once the course is finished Jnr Asst Waiter gets $1000 a month, Asst Waiter gets $1200 a month and then when promoted to Waiter/Waitress it goes up to $2200. But everything else ie accomodation and uniforms, laundry, food etc is paid for so the money's not bad. Plus the opportunity to be aboard a Cunard ship so what more could you ask for?!

YoungQE2Cruiser!

Good for you ... althought it sounds a bit like enlisting in the Navy, you will be on a Cunard ship, and thats something!!

Interesting career choise!

YvonneE

Archived