Santiago do Compostela on Sunday

GiGiGi

We are hoping to go to Compostela de Santiago from our port in La Coruna. Since it is a Sunday, will we be able to tour the cathedral? Will other sites be open? We are in port from 8AM until 7 PM.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Sunday is typically a busy day at the Cathedral, but the crowd thins after September. There will be morning masses, and would suggest that you try to attend the Noon Pilgrim's Mass, then do lunch. The Pilgrim's Mass honors the Pilgrims that have come into Santiago to day before and have registered their pilgrimages at the Pilgrim's Office the day before. There will be pilgrims that have come off the trail that day too (typically those that have rode bikes or have stayed the night before just outside of Santiago. The pilgrims are easy to spot (the ones limping).

Visit the gold statue of St. James behind the altar (there are small stairs that lead up to the gem covered statue) and give him a hug. Also visit the crypt below the altar where the bones of St. James (Santiago) are kept in a silver box.

After lunch (the Galago food is wonderful), suggest that you hang around the Camino de Santiago "kilometer zero" mark in the middle of the square in front of the Cathedral, and watch for the pilgrims as the come into the square. There is a lot of emotions and tears of joy to be seen as they reach the end of their long walks (some have walked over 1500 miles to get to Santiago). I cried a bit when I finished my Camino Frances in late June this year.

There are also lots of musems to see in Santiago.

'Miner

By all means, go even if it's a Sunday. The only issue will be that while Mass is going on (and as Goldminer points out, there are several on Sunday) you can't be touring the Cathedral. Of course, you could attend the mass , but not walk around. I can't recall if stores are open on Sunday, I think most are closed. But the old town in Santiago is a beautiful medieval town done mainly in stone and it's a joy to walk around. If you like white wine make sure you sample the Albariño wine from Galicia.

Another beautiful church and museum is the Church of San Martin Pinairo, not far from the Cathedral.

Are you planning to go on your own or with the ship's tour?

Archived