What to do in Dominica?

SassyGirl

Please help! I just booked a last minute cruise (leaving Wednesday) and two of the ports are in Dominica (Roseau and Cabrits). I haven't had time to do any research. This is my first time visiting the island.

What is the best beach?

Are there any "not-to-miss" excursions or places?

Any tips would be much appreciated!!!

SassyGirl

Dominica really isn't an island known for it's beaches. There are some, but quite a ways from the dock. You can book a sightseeing tour thru the ship that will take you to Trafalga (sp) falls, the Emerald pool. Or you can hire a cabbie for alot less and see the same stuff for alot less, along with " It's Nice to be Nice" stand- One of the highlights of our stop there. We used Arthur Thomas- a wonderful guy who knew everyone and made our day special. You can reach him at 767 449 1907. Tell him the 'holy smokes' family recommended him.

SassyGirl-

You'll love Dominica! I'd recommend emailing Reynold of Reyno Tours for a fantastic day reynotours@hotmail.com Tell him that Pammy sent ya!

He'll take great care of you for sure..... Crisp1 was correct, you really won't find beaches on this island, but you'll find plenty of beauty, rain forests, and friendly folks...

• 1 month later...

It's kind of funny, but of all the islands I've visited, Dominica is the one I remember most.

All the private tours seem to be about the same, 6 hours for $25-$30. I had booked at a price of $20 pp, but at the end of the tour, I actually gave my guide, Philip Mellow supercat180@hotmail.com, $30 pp. The tour was worth every penny.

You'll see:

Rainforest

Emerald pool

Fruit stand

Trafalgar Falls

Craft store

You'd pay a lot more for all this if you book through the ship.

I also want to recommend booking something on your own. The ships charge way too much and have way too many people on the same tour as you. Either contact someone beforehand or just catch a cab as you get off the ship (there will be plenty waiting), then you can get to all of the sites before the ship's tours get there and you'll save yourself quite a bit of money. It's a really beautiful island, have fun.

Archived