Birthday options?

tweakes

Going on a cruise with the family in November, and my aunt's birthday is the 2nd day of the cruise so I wanted to have her cabin decorated as a surprise when we got there ... based on the information on Carnival's web site and the few pictures ... everything looks a bit cheesy and cheap. I wouldn't expect FANCY EXPENSIVE decorations but has anyone that has seen these decorations think it's worth the $50-100 extra for them? Anyone have any pictures of the decorations?

For that money I could just opt to have a bottle of wine or vodka in her room beforehand so that's why I'm trying to decide what's the better option.

Also, I know they will sing to her in the dining room, but are there any suggestions for ways we could celebrate on board?

Thanks for your help!

Going on a cruise with the family in November, and my aunt's birthday is the 2nd day of the cruise so I wanted to have her cabin decorated as a surprise when we got there ... based on the information on Carnival's web site and the few pictures ... everything looks a bit cheesy and cheap. I wouldn't expect FANCY EXPENSIVE decorations but has anyone that has seen these decorations think it's worth the $50-100 extra for them? Anyone have any pictures of the decorations?

For that money I could just opt to have a bottle of wine or vodka in her room beforehand so that's why I'm trying to decide what's the better option.

Also, I know they will sing to her in the dining room, but are there any suggestions for ways we could celebrate on board?

Thanks for your help!

I personally don't think the decorations are worth the $$ but I have only seen them in passing by. That being said We have received a cake in the dining room with the Happy anniversary singing. Enjoyed That! Also have ordered from home for my Brother a happy B-Day cake and when delivered in dining room they sang as well and that worked out too. If you are cruising with her you can go to the Formalities shop onboard and place the order straight from there. That would be the route I would go.

We celebrated our DD birthday on the ship. We ordered a cake at formalities it cost $7 (i think) very reasonable. I was really surprised how good it was. they brought it to our table at dinner and sang to her. It was a lot of fun!

Yes I forgot to mention earlier the cake is quite tasty:p

I guess it depends on how you feel about "things" vs. "memories".

Have seen the decorations and they are a little cheesy and don't do anything. Wine, roses, the cake, treat her to a shore excursion, special photo, chocolate covered strawberries or dinner at the steakhouse.....to me, these are memories and I much prefer them as a gift

When we cruised for my birthday last year DH had our room decorated while we were at dinner. While it was a great surprise and I loved it (I'll look to see if I have any pics) it honestly was a waste. Once the decorations were down, I didn't really want to pack Carnival-logo birthday decor to take home. What the heck would I do with it?! He also had a chocolate cake sent to the room and we ended up each taking a bite or two with a fork since they brought nothing else to serve it with. It was mediocre at best (I might not be the best person to ask, though, since I'm not a chocoholic!) All that being said, it was a great gesture that I greatly appreciated. The common sense side of me just gets going "after the fact".

If your aunt enjoys an adult beverage now and then, a bottle of alcohol from Bon Voyage with a Happy Birthday note might be something she enjoys.

Thanks for the comments guys ... it looks like I'll stick to ordering something like a bottle of wine from Bon Voyage and then having a cake sent over for dinner. Do you know if I could talk to the Formalities shop on the first day and have it delivered on the second day or do they need more advance notice?

Thanks for the comments guys ... it looks like I'll stick to ordering something like a bottle of wine from Bon Voyage and then having a cake sent over for dinner. Do you know if I could talk to the Formalities shop on the first day and have it delivered on the second day or do they need more advance notice?

I had the birthday decorations in the room & a cake in the dining room for my birthday & I LOVED BOTH ! I'm an old broad..................doing it again this Oct. :D

Just off Fantasy. My friend who sailed with us "celebrated" her 40th birthday on the cruise. I went to formalities, I could have purchased the decorations for $35 and decorated her cabin...or pay extra and they decorate. Don't remember the decorations reflecting much Carnival, just regular decorations. Opted not to decorate. Instead, ordered a cake to be delivered at our dinner table. Ordered the bigger one for $9 (which I thought was a bargan), to share with our table mates. Because we were in nassau til 9:00pm on her birthday, we didn't go to the MDR so I switched and had her cake waiting in her cabin when we returned. You could easily go to the dollar store and buy some decorations for the cabin. By they way, the large cake could easily serve 12 (although they said it served 8), which was the number we had at our table. The smaller cake they said served 5-6...but could have served more and was $7. You have a choice of round or heart shaped and chocolate or white with some type of fruit flavored layering.

The other group seated with us in the MDR also had a birthday one celebrated on the cruise. The husband had flowers, chocolate covered strawberries and champaign waiting at the table for her...and she opted to share the strawberries and champaign with everyone at the table. I thought it was really neat. Remember, you can bring a bottle of wine on board for each person over 21 so if there is a special bottle they may not have on the ship you can bring it with you.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY and enjoy your cruise!!

Archived