Caribbean scuba hot spots???

moet's sister

Hi Scuba people! Haha. I'm a snorkeler (bad sinuses), but I'm planning our next cruises for my Dad who is a keen scuba-er (done the deep dive certs and has a big underwater camera, but not an instructor). We've never been to the Caribbean before and I need help!

I've read on CC that some places have dodgy equipment, and some places you will need a wetsuit, in terms of bringing our own equipment we were probably just thinking mask and fins, what else would you recommend? Also, any recommendations for good shore tours/ private tours for diving for the South Caribbean? i.e. Belize, Cozumel, Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maartin, St., Thomas. A little bit of info will go a long way!

THANKS! =]

• 2 weeks later...

If you go with the ship shore excursion the equipment is never dodgy. If you find an operator you are thinking of booking with privately, search this forum for their name and you'll get the low down on them. My experience so far has been very good. I find all the islands you listed have good equipment. Only obviously cheap operations have dodgy equipment.

I have been mostly to the eastern islands so I cannot speak for Belize or Cozumel.

Aruba is okay. Curacao is better. Bonaire is the best island of the ABC islands. Grenada is good and has some interesting deep, wreck dives. I'd dive all four any chance I can get.

Some people say great things about Barbados but I've been there twice and didn't have a good experience either time.

My two favourite islands are St. Lucia (Superman's flight) and Dominica (not Dominican Republic). They both have some nice snorkelling as well.

St. Thomas is good. Better than Aruba but not as good as Bonaire. Good amount of marine life and some ship wrecks.

I'd skip diving in Antigua and St. Maartin. I've been in St. Maartin and it was not good. I haven't been to Antigua but have been told it is not good either.

In Curacao I'd recommend Ocean Adventures or The Dive Bus. In Bonaire I dove with The Yellow Submarine and they didn't disappoint.

Any Western Caribbean cruise and most Southern Caribbean cruises will include ports that have good diving. IMHO the best ones are Bonaire, Cozumel, Belize, Dominica, and Curacao. Check the cruise itinerary and excursions before booking to verify that the ship will be in port early enough and long enough to fit in dives.

Since you've never been to the Caribbean, I'd recommend using the ship's dive excursions. Those won't be the best dives, but in unfamiliar countries, you can be confident that the logistics will be taken care of.

All ports could require a wetsuit, depending upon the time of year. If your Dad has his own gear and can manage to pack it, then he should take it along. Even though the ship's excursions always provide rental gear, his own will be safer, if only because it's familiar.

Thanks you guys! I've had a look at the different dive shops and we will have to weigh up safety and logistics on the ship with the best dives. We are now looking at purchasing a wetsuit for him while in Miami. He will bring as much of his own gear as possible, but we are travelling from Sydney so airline weight restrictions will be our enemy!

Archived