Oct. 22 New England/Canada

Looks like you are on a 7 day aboard Jewel out of Boston. We did the same cruise last October. It is a fine ship and we really enjoyed the ports -- one of my favorite cruises in that respect. We were also with a great group of friends -- that always makes a big difference. We took private tours in Portland [bus tour around the city and to the light hose in the morning and harbor tour int he afternoon], Bar Harbor [bus tour through the park and to the mountain] and St John [bus tour out to some tidal area where you can walk out to caves that are sometimes under water], did the ship's tour in Halifax because it was part of the member's cruise [top ten of Halifax is the one we got I believe]. We enjoyed them all.

It is a little difficult to recommend what to see without knowing your interests but I would agree the Acadia National Forest and Cadillac mountain should be on your list. My personal interests were seeing the tidal areas in St John, the HMCS Sackville in Halifax [if you have read The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Montserrat you will understand] and eating sea food. The Titanic exhibits in Halifax and the the sights around Portland [lighthouse and harbor tour] were unexpectedly interesting. Boston has so much it is hard to know where to begin. As with most cruises, you can't do it all so pick a few "must see" things and don't second guess yourself. We had fairly pleasant weather most days, but you should be prepared. The harbor tour in Portland was particularly chilly. I would have a waterproof jacket and enough layers underneath to keep you warm. You will probably have occasion to wear gloves.

We have done the mystery dinner, but did it on Independence in the middle of our sea days on a TA. It was fun to do at least once. A bit hokey, but fun. However, I don't even remember hearing about it last year on Jewel. I don't know if I would want to do it on a one week port intensive cruise like this. You need at least a little down time.

I 100% agree with your statement on this cruise being Port intensive and needing down time. DH and I took the Jewel out of Boston last year and also in '09 (our first year it was a shorter version and only 5 nights). Last year we had a rough idea on what we wanted to see/do.. we took in a lot! (mind you we're from Boston - and we skipped Portland since it's fairly close to home for us) however down time is definitely needed. I will say that we too loved this cruise - it was such a different cruise from all of the caribbean ones we've taken. I highly recommend it!!

We took the 9 day cruise out of New Jersey. One of our best cruises ever! We will do this one again!

Yes, do the bus tour of Acadia! We also did a island tour with a lobster bake (but it was more like a lobster boil, kind of messy but yummy!) My first time enjoying a whole lobster, not just the tail. (Also had chowder, salad and a lovely little blueberry cake, yummmm!) It was thur the ship, and was a family owned little island, and included a tour and a bit of history. Most of the rest of the stops offered a Hop On Hop Off tour. Those were all great! One of the best vacations we ever took!

I 100% agree with your statement on this cruise being Port intensive and needing down time. DH and I took the Jewel out of Boston last year and also in '09 (our first year it was a shorter version and only 5 nights). Last year we had a rough idea on what we wanted to see/do.. we took in a lot! (mind you we're from Boston - and we skipped Portland since it's fairly close to home for us) however down time is definitely needed. I will say that we too loved this cruise - it was such a different cruise from all of the caribbean ones we've taken. I highly recommend it!!

Our son is in grad school in Boston so between before and after we spent 4-5 days in Boston. We are not really beach people [at least I am not] so we prefer this type of cruise to the Caribbean. In fact I have yet to try a Caribbean cruise.

Our son is in grad school in Boston so between before and after we spent 4-5 days in Boston. We are not really beach people [at least I am not] so we prefer this type of cruise to the Caribbean. In fact I have yet to try a Caribbean cruise.

I'm a beach person but DH isn't - he hates the heat!! We tried our first NE/Canada cruise as something "different" and we loved the fact that we didn't have to fly (going from port to home in a half hour was a new experience). We loved it so much the first time I surprised hubby with last years trip for his birthday.. we're glad we did the 7 day. For our Anniversary next year we're going on the Oasis.. I'm so excited! I think after that we'll try an Alaskan cruise.

I'm a beach person but DH isn't - he hates the heat!! . .

LOL I don't much care for the sand and salt -- or the heat.

Thanks, everyone! This helps. We're not beach people, and never having taken a cruise before, this one sounded great to us. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Cruisepaugh there are many places to cruise that don't require "beachiness." My history incudes the Eastern Med, California and the Pacific NW (not yet as far as Alaska), a Trans Atlantic cruise and this Canada/New England cruise. I have yet to go to a beach or even dip a toe in a ship's pool. DW has taken a few girls cruises that got her to the Nassau and Coco Cay [RCI's private island]. I just enjoy being at sea and the relaxation cruising allows [do as much or as little as you like] and all of your needs are pretty much taken care of. I enjoy seeing the places more than the beach activities. Hope you enjoy your cruise and decide to take more. As I said above, these ports are among our favorites. If you have more questions, ask.

We are on the same cruise. This will be our third time doing New England/Canada on the Jewel. Love the ship and this cruise.

Two years ago we did a 14 day from Quebec to Fort Lauderale on HAL. Loved it.

This is one of my favorite areas to visit.

First time we went to Bal Harbour we did the Acadia Park and Lobster lunch, which as delicious. Portland we have gone around the city and been to Portland Lighthouse, Kennebunkport and Freeport. Halifax we been around the city and Peggy's Cove. And Saint John we have been around the city and to St. Andrews. The hop on and hop off is a great way to the see the city and be able to stop where you want to. Also, if you check the Port of Calls board for Canada and New England there is great suggestions of what to see and where to eat.

I can not wait for my lobster roll.

For those who has sailed this itinerary before, have you gone as late in October as the 22nd? What were the weather and sea conditions? We are considering this cruise but are concerned about it being so late in October...

We went the second week in October [8-15]. You'll be two seeks later, but I wouldn't imagine it will a tremendous difference, but that time of year can vary a lot. The weather was fine, we had one fairly cool morning [Portland] but other than that it was sunny and pleasant until the last sea day from Halifax to Boston -- got a little rough that day, but not too bad. I would prepare for some cool weather and you can always have rain. Have layers available.

I too am doing this same itinerary in October, but leaving October 15th from Boston. I also was wondering about the weather and what to pack this time of year? I guess it should seem obvious, but since we've been having nearly 100 degree weather lately, it's hard to imagine packing for cool fall weather! I don't even know if you can even ascern a question from this ramble! haha. But I guess I'm just wondering how others have dressed on this itinerary in October. Thanks! :)

I too am doing this same itinerary in October, but leaving October 15th from Boston. I also was wondering about the weather and what to pack this time of year? I guess it should seem obvious, but since we've been having nearly 100 degree weather lately, it's hard to imagine packing for cool fall weather! I don't even know if you can even ascern a question from this ramble! haha. But I guess I'm just wondering how others have dressed on this itinerary in October. Thanks! :)

We did this itinerary last October. I believe we sailed the 9th. I took my standard cruise gear [we frequently cruise in off peak times to cooler climates]. I have a waterproof outer jacket that also works as a light jacket on cool but dry days. I have a waterproof hat I got from Eddie Bauer that works for the rain [umbrella not needed] or also to keep the sun out of my eyes on those kind of days. If it gets colder, I have a heavy sweater I can wear under my jacket that more or less functions as a heavy coat. I also bring a pair of lightweight gloves -- the kind runners wear -- just in case. Last year I wore the whole kit on the harbor tour in Portland [the morning of Oct. 10th] but I don't think I had my gloves out of my coat pocket after that. I looked back through my pictures and most other places I had my jacket on, but only had it zipped up on top of Cadilac mountain near Bar Harbor. Most other places I was wearing it unzipped and there were other folks around with no jackets at all -- even a few in short sleeves. I had a sweater on at St. John, but it doesn't look like I needed it. We were fortunate, we had sun most port days -- only stormy the sea day from Halifax back to Boston. Overcast and maybe a little misty that first morning in Portland. Bottom line be prepared to dress in layers so you can adapt to changing circumstances.

One of the first things I do when we plan a cruise is go to a website that has historic weather information [Weather underground is my personal favorite] and see what the weather has been on the dates you will be in the various ports for the past few years. That should give you a fairly good idea of what to expect.

Archived