Best Place for Poutine?

We have officially booked the Maasdam for June 9-15 Montreal-Boston.Planning on arriving in Montreal June 7 around noon.Our first stop will be Schwartz's Deli for smoked meat sandwiches.Any recommendations for Poutine?.We also want to sample the Pub scene Love Molson Golden on Tap.Any suggestions for Quebec cuisine as well: will be appreciated.Any good side walk cafes as well.We are foodies and enjoy trying any kind of fare.Thanks.Money is not a concern as we have it budgeted into our vacation fund.

You will have a lot of choices in Montreal! We are very proud of our restaurant scene here. Regular poutine made the fast, greasy and authentic way can be had at La Belle Province (you can google for the closest outlet to where you will be heading).

We always went to Rapido on St.Denis and Mont-Royal for poutine at 3am Saturday mornings after a night on the town (not the best, but open 24h), but whatever you do, don't get your poutine at McDonald's, even though you can get it there!

A popular sidewalk cafe is Cafe Cherrier on St. Denis, corner Cherrier, near des Pins. If you walk north from there on St. Denis, you will have multiple choices. There are many cafes on Cresent St. as well, and since you are here just before the Grand Prix weekend, there might be some related activities going on there at that time. As an aside, our hotel prices skyrocket Grand Prix week, so you might want to book ahead (if they aren't already raised).

By far my favorite type of restaurant here, though, are the really good (and very small) Bring Your Own Wine restaurants. You can pick up an excellent bottle at the SAQ (our Liquor stores), and take it to one of these for a fantastic dinner. Try Les Infidels, Les Heritiers or L'Entrepont. They are all good, are French/Quebecois cuisine, and full of ambiance. Just be sure to reserve ahead, as they all seat only around 20-30 diners, and are pretty popular.

There are really too many fantastic restaurants in Montreal to mention. We have many active food bloggers here, and you can check out recommendations on Urbanspoon for more ideas.

Have a great cruise!

You will have a lot of choices in Montreal! We are very proud of our restaurant scene here. Regular poutine made the fast, greasy and authentic way can be had at La Belle Province (you can google for the closest outlet to where you will be heading).

We always went to Rapido on St.Denis and Mont-Royal for poutine at 3am Saturday mornings after a night on the town (not the best, but open 24h), but whatever you do, don't get your poutine at McDonald's, even though you can get it there!

A popular sidewalk cafe is Cafe Cherrier on St. Denis, corner Cherrier, near des Pins. If you walk north from there on St. Denis, you will have multiple choices. There are many cafes on Cresent St. as well, and since you are here just before the Grand Prix weekend, there might be some related activities going on there at that time. As an aside, our hotel prices skyrocket Grand Prix week, so you might want to book ahead (if they aren't already raised).

By far my favorite type of restaurant here, though, are the really good (and very small) Bring Your Own Wine restaurants. You can pick up an excellent bottle at the SAQ (our Liquor stores), and take it to one of these for a fantastic dinner. Try Les Infidels, Les Heritiers or L'Entrepont. They are all good, are French/Quebecois cuisine, and full of ambiance. Just be sure to reserve ahead, as they all seat only around 20-30 diners, and are pretty popular.

There are really too many fantastic restaurants in Montreal to mention. We have many active food bloggers here, and you can check out recommendations on Urbanspoon for more ideas.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you very much.We also pnned tovisit a Liquor Stor to pick up some bottles for our cruise,s HAL lets you bring on wat you want as lng as you pour it in your own room.Will have fun researching the restaurantsyou mentioned.We are Nascar fans so will appreciate ant pre Grand Prix festivities if they are around.

We have officially booked the Maasdam for June 9-15 Montreal-Boston.Planning on arriving in Montreal June 7 around noon.Our first stop will be Schwartz's Deli for smoked meat sandwiches.Any recommendations for Poutine?.We also want to sample the Pub scene Love Molson Golden on Tap.Any suggestions for Quebec cuisine as well: will be appreciated.Any good side walk cafes as well.We are foodies and enjoy trying any kind of fare.Thanks.Money is not a concern as we have it budgeted into our vacation fund.

First of all, remember to get some black cherry soda with your smoked meat sandwiches and don't order lean.... it will be tasteless.

The most famous places for poutine are likely Patati Patata and La Banquise. There are a few more. Wouldn't catch me dead eating poutine at Lafleur or La Belle Province, for one thing they are entirely inconsistent, for another, you can't be sure that the cheese is fresh and it really MUST be fresh.

Molson Golden is a beer that doesn't exist in Canada. It's not strong enough! Probably the most famous microbrewer in Montreal is Dieu de Ciel on the corner of Laurier and Clark. If you just want a pub/bar to have a drink and some grub then McKibbins or Ye Olde Orchard. Both of which will have poutine, though I personally don't like the fries at Ye Olde Orchard.

For Quebec cuisine, try Chez Chose on St-Denis. And you can tell them that I sent you. There are some other famous restaurants which will likely need a reservation and are very different versions of Cuisine du Terroir. Au Pied du Cochon, which Montrealers would call a winter restaurant... make sure you take a long walk afterward. There is Garde Manger (loud rock music, not for an older crowd.... take my word for it.) in Old Montreal. Club Chasse et Peche. Barrocco. L'Orignal which specializes in game. That's something that I will caution you about, if you have a very limited variety of food that you eat, then Cuisine du Terroir might be more difficult for you and you should check the menus before you go. Expect to see such items as deer, duck, rabbit, sweetbreads, cheek and other meats and cuts you aren't used to. And a bavette isn't a traditional "steak" it's flank steak.

Now, if money isn't a concern, the restaurants on the top of the list are Europea and Toque, though I'm not really a fan of Toque... I'd rather go to Brasserie T. There is also Queue de Cheval for steak... for the people with unlimited budgets.

Au Pied du Cochon has wonderful fois gras, they also serve it at Joe Beef, Toque and a few other restaurants.

That is sad that you don't have Molsen Golden.I am not a strong Beer Drinker.My husband will love to try any Beer.I am a die hard 70's Rocker,but also enjoy almost every style of music.DH is a Wanna be chef and we love to sample all kinds of exotic foods from around the world.I do like Rabbit and Venison although Duck and Frogs legs are my favorite. We are staying at The Hotel St Denis,although we do have back up at The Fairmont through HAL but cost is way to high.Only openings HAL had.I will check out the places you mentioned.

Thanks again

Ann

That is sad that you don't have Molsen Golden.I am not a strong Beer Drinker.My husband will love to try any Beer.I am a die hard 70's Rocker,but also enjoy almost every style of music.DH is a Wanna be chef and we love to sample all kinds of exotic foods from around the world.I do like Rabbit and Venison although Duck and Frogs legs are my favorite. We are staying at The Hotel St Denis,although we do have back up at The Fairmont through HAL but cost is way to high.Only openings HAL had.I will check out the places you mentioned.

Thanks again

Ann

Being an innkeeper, I try not to comment on where people stay.

Frog legs are... cheap Chinese buffet food around here. You won't see it on very many menus. Now, escargot, those you will see all over the place.

My favourite are the tourists who think their French is up to snuff and then see "ris de veau" on the menu only to think it's veal rice.

Molson Golden is an American beer. And remember, that regular beer in Canada is usually 5% of stronger.... light beer is 4%. So be careful about how much you drink around here.

I am not an innkeeper so I will say - don't stay at the Hotel St Denis! It is in a not so great part of town, and there are so many other good choices.

The Fairmont Queen Elizabeth is good, but you may want to try a smaller boutique hotel, and there are several good ones here. I don't know which inn Ephraim keeps, but I like the following: Auberge du Vieux Port, Hotel St-James, Hotel St-Sulpice, Hotel Place d'armes, or Hotel Nelligan. For something historic and different, try the Auberge Pierre du Calvet, we got married there, and the atmosphere is hard to beat. I don't really recommend either of the Delta hotels, the Sheraton is ok (nice pool), and there is brand new Westin in Old Montreal that looks good (haven't tried it yet). I have tried the Intercontinental next door, and it is good. The W up the street is a little strange to me, I guess I don't like the W concept, but the in room breakfast we had was the best ever pancakes!

There are major differences in the prices of some of those boutique hotels. I run a B&B in the plateau.

If you are looking at the Westin, remember that it's on a street that has traffic 24 hours a day. The same is true of St-Denis, 24 hour traffic.

The W is aimed at a young crowd. And if they can afford the St-James, then stay at the St-James... it's the hotel that all the celebs stay at. I can't afford it.

I am not an innkeeper so I will say - don't stay at the Hotel St Denis! It is in a not so great part of town, and there are so many other good choices.

The Fairmont Queen Elizabeth is good, but you may want to try a smaller boutique hotel, and there are several good ones here. I don't know which inn Ephraim keeps, but I like the following: Auberge du Vieux Port, Hotel St-James, Hotel St-Sulpice, Hotel Place d'armes, or Hotel Nelligan. For something historic and different, try the Auberge Pierre du Calvet, we got married there, and the atmosphere is hard to beat. I don't really recommend either of the Delta hotels, the Sheraton is ok (nice pool), and there is brand new Westin in Old Montreal that looks good (haven't tried it yet). I have tried the Intercontinental next door, and it is good. The W up the street is a little strange to me, I guess I don't like the W concept, but the in room breakfast we had was the best ever pancakes!

t Thank you for the heads up about the Grand Prix.The Hotels were booked up from when I last looked 2 weeks prior. I will try some that you mentioned,but even HAL only had a few rooms left at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth the other Hotel they usually use is booked up.We have one room on hold but it really is expensive and I will have to see if we can swing it.

There are major differences in the prices of some of those boutique hotels. I run a B&B in the plateau.

If you are looking at the Westin, remember that it's on a street that has traffic 24 hours a day. The same is true of St-Denis, 24 hour traffic.

The W is aimed at a young crowd. And if they can afford the St-James, then stay at the St-James... it's the hotel that all the celebs stay at. I can't afford it.

Do you have any rooms available at your Bed and Breakfast for June 7 .2 nights?

I didn't realize these dates corresponded with the Grand Prix. The Grand Prix is the most expensive days in Montreal's hotel calendar. I spend half a month telling people that I'm fully booked or that I won't take a reservation for less than three days including Saturday night. Most B&Bs do the same and some have prereservations, people who come every year.

If you found some place that will take the reservation (because you aren't staying Saturday night) and the price is reasonable, then take it. Make sure you print your confirmation.

For those who haven't booked... a cruise arriving/leaving Montreal on those dates will surprise people on the cost and availability of hotels/B&Bs.

I'm trying to figure out the connection between foodie and poutine???

Whatever it is, we tried it during a visit a few years ago. I was afraid that poutine was going to be the best food we found in Quebec. Thankfully, it was not; and, we had many great meals in Quebec City.

We also had lunch at Schwartz's while in Montreal. Pretty disappointing for a couple of Los Angeles deli fans. Langer's or "Nate n' Al's" it aint.

I'm trying to figure out the connection between foodie and poutine???

Whatever it is, we tried it during a visit a few years ago. I was afraid that poutine was going to be the best food we found in Quebec. Thankfully, it was not; and, we had many great meals in Quebec City.

We also had lunch at Schwartz's while in Montreal. Pretty disappointing for a couple of Los Angeles deli fans. Langer's or "Nate n' Al's" it aint.

Poutine isn't foodie at all, unless you are maybe talking about Garde Manger's Lobster Poutine or Pied du Cochon's Poutine with Fois Gras.

Schwartz's is a PARTICULAR type of Smoked Meat and NOT a deli. It's a one-trick pony. The only other thing they sell is smoked turkey and they just simply buy the turkey. All you basically get as Schwartz's is smoked meat, made the old fashioned wet method. Which is why it has to be hand cut and can't be machine cut. Other places serve the dry type, which is machine cut thin and piled high. It's different. And it isn't about being "better" than other places, it's different and you can't get it elsewhere. It resembles British Salt Beef more than anything else. And everyone's tastes are different.

By foodie I meant that we like to try all kinds of food.We are not squeamish at all.I am sure we will love the Poutine and smoked meat as well as the bagels and everything else we try that is far from the ordinary.Love to try things DH won't attempt to cook at home.

By foodie I meant that we like to try all kinds of food.We are not squeamish at all.I am sure we will love the Poutine and smoked meat as well as the bagels and everything else we try that is far from the ordinary.Love to try things DH won't attempt to cook at home.

Plenty to try in Montreal. It's easy to find things like sweetbreads, foie gras, duck, ostrich, caribou, deer, boar, seal, guinea hen, octopus and of course things like raw milk cheeses and tartares.

Plenty to try in Montreal. It's easy to find things like sweetbreads, foie gras, duck, ostrich, caribou, deer, boar, seal, guinea hen, octopus and of course things like raw milk cheeses and tartares.

Love duck,have eaten Reindeer in Alaska,octopus DH loves it too many tentacles for me.Venison is good if seasoned and cooked well,Not too sure I would try Seal though would be on the blubbery side.

Love duck,have eaten Reindeer in Alaska,octopus DH loves it too many tentacles for me.Venison is good if seasoned and cooked well,Not too sure I would try Seal though would be on the blubbery side.

Actually, I thought seal has the consistency of raw fish, but very dark brown and generally cooked very rare.

You will see a lot of different things on the menus, depending on the restaurant. Game meat is best in the fall, of course, it's much gamier during the rest of the year.

Archived