Cabin 6013 Help please

janeba

Hi experienced Cunarders, can you help me? I am travelling with my mother and we have been allocated cabin 6013 which appears to be at the front of the ship on deck 6. It is a C3 grade. My concern is that mum is convinced because we are at the front we will get more motion and this could lead to sea sickness or something? We are travelling to NY from Southampton on QM2.

Any help or advice you could give me would really be appreciated.

Thank you

I wish I could tell you that it will be absolutely fine, but the cabins near the bow do have more movement in heavier seas than those mid ship and aft. Take a new (long) pencil, hold it at the middle, and then swivel it a little. Note how much more the front and back are moving compared to where your fingers are holding on.

My wife gets seasick and we were in C-category outside (porthole) cabins toward the bow on two separate crossings. She got seasick once each crossing, during heavy seas, and had to take a shot (which resolved the problem). That's not to say that seasickness is inevitable. Even though she did get seasick for several hours, she was fine in those forward cabins the balance of the crossings. But by contrast, a third time we were in the center of the ship and she was fine the entire crossing.

Has your mom experienced seasickness before? It's possible that she isn't even prone to it, in which case those outside C category cabins are very nice. Most of them actually have more room in the cabin than the balcony cabins.

Not sure which ship (sounds like QE/QV) or itinerary; we traveled on QV in 5013 from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale (so several days down the Pacific to Panama and then a couple of days from there across the Carribbean to Florida), although you can sense the pitching as others have mentioned the sensation I remember more was a bit of a shudder as the bow broke through successive wave crests.

I spent some time in the Navy (on ships where rocking that would make YouTube if experienced on a cruise ship was sometimes a daily experience) but my wife's very much more a landlubber and neither of us felt any discomfort.

I think the stories of pitching are a bit overblown for most itineraries.

Archived