Charter to Ushuaia

DPWnRBW

We did the Antarctic in Dec/Jan. I also recall around noon for take off south. Word of warning for the return. We were late leaving Ushuaia, did not land in Buenos Aires until around 6pm. Takes an hour to get baggage. (This a common occurance according to people who had done this route before). We did not get to our hotel until around 7:17. You may want to consider staying over one day on the end.....you will rest easier. Many people were concerned about catching their international flights. Is at least a 45 minute drive from the domestic airport to the international. It is bedlam for getting a taxi.

Thanks. We plan to spend three days pre-cruise in BA and one day post-cruise. Hopefully our hotel will let us store a bag or two so we don't have to schlep everything to Antarctica.

On another note, we were thinking of renting a car for our post-cruise day and driving out to the countryside. Maybe see some gauchos, visit an estancia, etc. then drive to Ezeiza for the flight home that night. Any thoughts or suggestions?

We actually stayed 3 days pre cruise and 3 days post. Great restaurants and loved just walking the city. We had done a cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago several years ago, so got to see the country side at that time. You will love the Antarctic!

I am in and out of Argentina quite often. If your flight arrives at the Domestic Airport (Jorge Newbury) on a week day around 4 to 7 PM expect a much longer drive to EZE International Airport. Work Traffic on their Freeways is extremely hectic, I have done it in 45 minutes at times, other times up to 1 1/2 hours, just like our freeways if their is an accident you are in for some stress in getting there.

As to the Post who wants to drive into the Countryside, make sure you rent a GPS, getting in and out of B/A can be a nightmare. The lanes on their Freeways are just a SUGGESTION.

Always a good idea in B/A to spend a night before and after, take in the City Sights, and their great Steakhouses and a Tango Show as well. B/A is a great City, just make sure you play it safe and use Taxi's for getting around.

Good Luck w/your Cruise:p

Hi DPW----excellent advice from skeezics. Here's more....we spent a half day with "cooking with terresita" making empanadas at her home. Read my review at tripadvisor.com Buenos Aires Things to Do section. Teresita's friend Buddha picks up guests for her and he is wonderful. Buddha also will take you around the city and out to estancias if you so desire without the hassle of renting cars and finding your way around the unfamiliar city. We stayed at the Hilton which was quite nice and centrally located. You can plan a trip to Iguazu Falls for two for far less than you'll pay if you have a cruise line do the plan for you. We saved over $2500 from what Princess was offering. Antarctica aboard the Silver Explorer will be the experience of your life. WOW factor daily! We hope your weather will be as good as ours was in Dec 2010. The expedition staff are fantastic. If you haven't read the reviews in cc please do so. Also, buy the expedition gear at the ship to shore outfitter at the silversea website. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are on the Jan 30 Explorer trip and are spending 4 days inbound and then 3 on the back side - doing exactly as suggested - heading to the Falls....

We'll spend that return first night in BA at the same hotel we will be staying at - inbound. Plan is to leave some luggage there as well.

As I am on the Silver Explorer Jan 13 voyage, this is all pertinent info for me as well.

boomerone, what Silversea expedition gear did you find most useful?

Many thanks, all.

Beth----I haven't checked this thread for some time, sorry for the delay. The gear provided by ship-to-shore was great. We took the entire package as we will be going to the Arctic in July '12 and figured we'd get more use out of it. We can also use a lot of the stuff at home if it gets cold and I have to shovel snow. The base layer, mid-layer fleece, boots, gloves, socks, and neck gaiter were all top quality and comfortable. I'd skip the hat if I were to do it all again. I'd take my wool cap and that would be sufficient. We made 14 excursions in 6 days and the weather was incredibly good. It was actually warmer in Antarctica (26-30 F) than it was at home in WA (19F) while we were on our expedition. We found telescoping (easy to pack in a 25" suitcase with all of our other gear) ski poles in a local discount store at $5/pr and bought ski goggles online at a ski gear discounter $28 each. Turned out we really didn't need the goggles but certainly see how good they would have been under the right weather conditions. We ended up using only one pole each after the first day but can see how some might need two. Take an extra pair of socks and base layer top for your 2nd excursion of the day as the socks and top can get wet from perspiration on your morning event. You will love the expedition. Buy the video from the photographer at the end of the cruise. Enjoy!

We are on the Jan 30 Explorer trip and are spending 4 days inbound and then 3 on the back side - doing exactly as suggested - heading to the Falls....

We'll spend that return first night in BA at the same hotel we will be staying at - inbound. Plan is to leave some luggage there as well.

If you can fit it in, go to Aqva Restaurant in the town of Iguazu on the Argentinian side. The surubi fish is excellent.

I forgot about the poles. We took 2 sets, and after the first time out only took one...for me it was a necessity. As for goggles, I wear contact lenses and many times we had winds...thus wore my goggles most days. If you are doing the Falklands and South George, the wind is really strong on West Point Island. I started out with sunglasses and had to change to goggles (fortunately, I had brought them along) My eyes were tearing so terribly that I had to walk backwards. We ordered the basic package from Ship to Shore, and the quality was excellent and it beat running around trying to gather various items of clothing. I wear my fleece layer around the house when it is cool....no way I'll ever wear it out. We also took our own boots, ordered from Ship to Shore. I wear an 8 and a half shoe...took a ten in the boot. They are very light considering and you can stuff lots inside. The only bulky thing to bring back was the parka. Take some rubber bands to really get it down to a manageable lump...also the compression bags were really super; packed all of the expedition clothing in them, easy to pack and unpack. As I sit at my computer, I look up on my wall and there I have hung a picture of me...penguins and all. Truly an amazing trip. If you get a chance, watch "Whales Wars". If you weren't before, after visiting Antarctica, you become very angry with various countries whaling in this part of the world.

• 5 weeks later...

I am thinking of the silversea trip to antarctica december 2010. can any of you who've been on this ship in this itinerary tell me if this would work for someone who is mobility impaired, not wheelchair, but ankle braces, bad back, difficulty climbing/hiking, use cane...

also very heavy, do they have large sizes of their equipment?

thank you for any input!

I am thinking of the silversea trip to antarctica december 2010. can any of you who've been on this ship in this itinerary tell me if this would work for someone who is mobility impaired, not wheelchair, but ankle braces, bad back, difficulty climbing/hiking, use cane...

also very heavy, do they have large sizes of their equipment?

thank you for any input!

I really wish I had ski poles. They would have helped a great deal. Automatic dimming prescription glasses are not good. The bright snow and cold get them so dark you can't see. You would need nose protections and some sunglasses or snow goggles.

I think the mobility problem would limit you a great deal. You might do some Zodiac only cruises.

I would start on an expedition but give out so the guide would stay with me. I told her to go on and I would pick them up on the way back. She would not leave me. I guess it is because of a white out coming up all of a sudden and she had a hand held GPS.

I wish I had taken this trip before I got to be 72. I think I would have faired better.

For pants I liked Silk undies, blue jeans and the pants to a rain suit over the jeans. Rain suit goes outside boots.

Top- silk undie, warm shirt and down jacket.

Head--Baseball cap (with string attached to prevent loss in wind) Baseball cap helps keep the spray off the glasses and the north face jacket hood from slipping down over the eyes.

Water proof bag for camera-- Saved me once, but If I had my camera under my coat, I wouldn't have needed it. I wouldn't take the water proof bag unless I were running rapids.

I took someone else's advice and bought some gel inserts for the boots that worked really well and I would recommend them. Just be sure you use them when you try on the boots and also have your two pair of socks on.

Gloves--use liners under big gloves so you can work the cameras.

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=5238

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=5242

Archived