Sheep Farm tours in Picton?

AzEileen

We will be in Picton, New Zealand, 11/26/2011 via Holland America Volendam. I would like to find a tour that includes a sheep farm. The ship has a shore excursion but it's over $200 U.S. each. Does anyone know of independant tour operators that might offer something similar at a less expensive cost? I have been unable to locate any using the internet. Thanks for any help!

We will be in Picton, New Zealand, 11/26/2011 via Holland America Volendam. I would like to find a tour that includes a sheep farm. The ship has a shore excursion but it's over $200 U.S. each. Does anyone know of independent tour operators that might offer something similar at a less expensive cost? I have been unable to locate any using the internet. Thanks for any help!

kia ora,

Have you considered doing a farm visit while visiting another port? Eg. Napier or Rotorua (Tauranga). In Rotorua there are a number of possibilities including www.agrodome.co.nz (or www.offroadnz.co.nz if you are more adventurous!).

Aquarians

kia ora,

Have you considered doing a farm visit while visiting another port? Eg. Napier or Rotorua (Tauranga). In Rotorua there are a number of possibilities including www.agrodome.co.nz (or www.offroadnz.co.nz if you are more adventurous!).

Aquarians

Just this week end I spent time booking tours and already have made arrangements in those ports! Picton is the remaining port in New Zealand that I believed had the most opportunity to arrange a tour of a sheep farm. Did I guess wrong?

If you do decide on a tour there, make sure you have time left for the township. Beautiful little spot. We were there landbased last January. Over near the ferries, there is an original english transport ship, that they are gradually restoring. Very cheap to get in and actually walk through the ship. Fascinating, worth a look.

Jen

Just this week end I spent time booking tours and already have made arrangements in those ports! Picton is the remaining port in New Zealand that I believed had the most opportunity to arrange a tour of a sheep farm. Did I guess wrong?

Kia ora,

Picton is a small town in an area known (in English) as Marlborough. It is the South Island's inter-island ferry port and you will pass farms on the way in/out of the sounds. The region, along with a number of others, has a history of sheep farming and more recently has become known as a wine growing area. If you are arranging private tours in other areas one of the guides may be able to arrange a farm visit. Whatever, you will experience manaaki - some of the essence of NZ (ask the guide for the meaning of this).

Aquarians

Archived