Any daimonds in the rough hotels?

cruiseaddict05

DH and I are sailing out of San Juan in June and are looking for a 1 day pre cruise and 2 day post cruise stay.

We are looking for something affordable yet clean:rolleyes: as airfare is going to cost us on this one:(. Does anyone have any "gems" they have found that they would be willing to share?

One thing that I have found on CC is that there are not too many hotels that you can comfortably walk your luggage to the pier (we are sailing Carnival) so I was also wondering how much we should expect to pay for a cab from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the pier.

Thanks fellow CCers! I look forward to your thoughts!

We love OSJ, and have stayed at two very cool places.

These are not cheap, but are a travel experience!

El Convento is a awesome place. A 400 year old convent, with a rich history. We have stayed there 3 times, and can't wait to back. Great food, bar, and a nice veranda overlooking the Cathedral and a small plaza. On a Saturday night, we sat out there and watched several weddings. A soloist sang Ave Maria and as the notes floated out of the cathedral, everybody in the street froze and listened. One of those "travel moments".

Think $300-400 US per night.

http://www.elconvento.com/

On our last visit to OSJ, we stayed at "The Gallery Inn". If you love the arts, this is a place worth checking out.

The owner, artist Jan D'Esopo has been building this property since 1963. It's an artist's life work that you can stay in. She is a painter, printmaker, sculptor, and hostess. There is original art everywhere! And music is an important part of the experience. Members of the PR Symphony hang out there, and you might be lucky enough to catch a world-class piano or chamber music performance, as a "jam session". A truly one of a kind place.

The nightly happy hour is a gathering of interesting, intellectual people, easy to engage in conversation. This is a place for travelers, not tourists. A point I might make however, if you are from a "conservative mindset", this might not be your place.

One other point I might make is, that because of the many levels and unique layout, accessibility might be a challenge for some guests.

Check out their excellent website, and make sure you watch the videos.

http://www.thegalleryinn.com/

Good luck, and enjoy your travels!

Bill & Jan

DH and I are sailing out of San Juan in June and are looking for a 1 day pre cruise and 2 day post cruise stay.

We are looking for something affordable yet clean:rolleyes: as airfare is going to cost us on this one:(. Does anyone have any "gems" they have found that they would be willing to share?

One thing that I have found on CC is that there are not too many hotels that you can comfortably walk your luggage to the pier (we are sailing Carnival) so I was also wondering how much we should expect to pay for a cab from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the pier.

Thanks fellow CCers! I look forward to your thoughts!

For pre-cruise many stay in OSJ at the Sheraton right across from the pier.

You might be able to get it on Priceline for less than $100.

For two days post you might consider trying for a resort on Priceline......the Intercontinental or the Marriott Stellaris are often won at $115.

There is a link at the top of the San Juan board on CC for winning Priceline bids.

The vast majority of CC members sailing out of PR prefer not paying $300 to $400 per night for a hotel......rather spend it on the ship.

Good luck!

Marty

Thanks Bill&Jan and MartyAP-

It is my understanding you can only stay at the Sheraton across the street if you are doing a 2 night stay... otherwise that was our plan:)

I think we will look into a resort for our post stay. We did the bio bay last time so we might want to just enjoy the beach and maybe do an excursion with the resort:)

Thank again!

Archived