Wine Festival - Sept in or around Florence?

corvette2007cruiser

I recently read something about a Wine Festival that takes place the last weekend in Sept either in or in one of the towns near Florence. There was something about a parade of Wine in the main square and they distribute wine flasks.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it in Florence? If so what really happens? Which Square? What time of day is best to be there? How do they sell/distribute the wine?

Is it one big brawl? and stay away from it?

I dont know about that region but we were at a harvest Festival in Sicily last September. It was a really big event, lasted three days and had parades of people in historic dress and displays of how they used to make wine. Lots of stalls, rides, fireworks, bands, young people wandering around. BUT no-one drunk that we could see; mostly people were eating gelato. Extremely different from what we would see in Australia, but as my husband is Italian-born, I know their attitude to drinking is so different. It is not a forbidden fruit and not a big deal whether you drink or not. But it is very badly thought of to drink to excess.

This festival, was frankly, a breath of fresh air.

I recently read something about a Wine Festival that takes place the last weekend in Sept either in or in one of the towns near Florence. There was something about a parade of Wine in the main square and they distribute wine flasks.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it in Florence? If so what really happens? Which Square? What time of day is best to be there? How do they sell/distribute the wine?

Is it one big brawl? and stay away from it?

I was researching an unrelated Italian wine topic and I came across information about the 41st Annual Chianti Classic Wine Expo in Greve. This year's dates are probably too early for you: September 8--11, 2011.

There's a web site about the festival if you, or anyone else, wants more secifics.

Incidentally, one of the links within the web site will take you to driver services. These services are offered within the context of people will be drinking lots of wine, but once you go to the link, the text includes information about picking up cruisers at Livorno for anyone interested in planning a wine day in Tuscany. (There are quite a few driver services listed so I'm not making a specific recommendation for a service provider I haven't used.)

I was researching an unrelated Italian wine topic and I came across information about the 41st Annual Chianti Classic Wine Expo in Greve. This year's dates are probably too early for you: September 8--11, 2011.

There's a web site about the festival if you, or anyone else, wants more secifics.

Incidentally, one of the links within the web site will take you to driver services. These services are offered within the context of people will be drinking lots of wine, but once you go to the link, the text includes information about picking up cruisers at Livorno for anyone interested in planning a wine day in Tuscany. (There are quite a few driver services listed so I'm not making a specific recommendation for a service provider I haven't used.)

Can you post the link? Thanks

The only wine festival in Tuscany the last weekend of September -- with which I am familiar -- is Festa dell 'Uva, Borgo di Vagliagli which is very close to Sienna.

I found another wine festival the last weekend in September in Tuscany, at Impruneta. It's also called Festa dell'Uva. (Impruneta is 7 kilometers from Florence.)

Below, I've including a link which lots of cruisers may enjoy. It's a list of festivals, organized by month, throughout Tuscany.

http://www.festivals-of-tuscany.com/

FOUND IT!!

Finally found and confirmed that Florence is having a Wine Festival the weekend of 24-25Sept 2011. If anyone is interested in knowing more about the festival here is the website:

http://www.winetownfirenze.com/

Basic info on the festival:

The gentle change of season in late summer can still give wonderful days full of colors, sounds and tastes. WineTown is the festival in late September when the city with music and art scene in the cloisters of the beautiful historic buildings of downtown, opened to accommodate the wineries which offer a showcase unique and valuable. The selection of shows is split between actors and performers on one side and the other jazz musicians. The actors offer short monologues, performaces, tableaux vivants and acrobatic or dance. For music stands out a real meeting between high-level jazz musicians with names of leading national and international. For the first time witness the encounter between the forces of jazz history as those of Barga in Tuscany Jazz, Jazz Siena Center Activities Music and the Conservatory of Florence along with other orchestras that will perform in the great courtyard of. Each building will offer as a small theater in the foyer where you will taste wine and whose performances will be enjoyed for free and enjoyed by music lovers and curious people attracted by the theater or with notes and words.

At the end of August will be available the full schedule of performance. You can purchase a Wine card for 15 Euros which gives you a glass and 5 wine tastings. You may replinish the Wine card for an additional 10 Euros .for another 5 Wine tastings.

PS you can purchase the wine card online or once in Florence. Check out the website. The site is in Italian but you can have your PC translate it into English or go into goole.com website and then put in the toolbar www.winetownfirenze.com when the list comes up you should see in parenthesis translate just click on translate and the page will change to english when you open it.

:) Hope you find it interesting.

Kim

Archived