Wi-Fi Service on Legend?

michigyrl

I'm debating whether or not to take my laptop on my Legend cruise and am wondering about the ships wi-fi service. Have you used it? My SIL and I will have family at home that we would like to get online once a day to check in on...but I'm weighing out the pros and cons of having the laptop with me.

Thanks!

All Carnival ships have satellite based internet service provided by MTN Communications. On all of the ships but the Dream Class passengers all share a single 750 kb connection, about half of what you get as DSL... in other words... it's slow. It's also pricey! If you don't purchase a package of minutes connect time will cost you $.75/minute. On a six day or longer cruise a package of 100 minutes will cost you $55. A package of 250 minutes costs $100 providing some reduced cost.

The Dream Class ships have a 2.4 mb connection, three time faster than other ships but still a bit doggy as all passengers use the same connection...

:)

you will have internet access but it is not free on the ship. You can purchase a package or pay by the minute. I believe its .75 per minute. Also the access is sloooow. Think dialup.

Have a great cruise.

related question - we're going on the legend (first cruise) next month - does anyone have any experience buying a pay-as-you-go SIM card for an iPad (e.g. - will it work on the islands/at sea)? I'm not sure about coverage.

related question - we're going on the legend (first cruise) next month - does anyone have any experience buying a pay-as-you-go SIM card for an iPad (e.g. - will it work on the islands/at sea)? I'm not sure about coverage.

From what I've heard recently pre-paid phones don't work with the satellite cell system provided by Cellular At Sea.

You might want to check their website for your paritcualar system: www.cellularatsea.com I don't have any information regarding port service...

:)

I'm debating whether or not to take my laptop on my Legend cruise and am wondering about the ships wi-fi service. Have you used it? My SIL and I will have family at home that we would like to get online once a day to check in on...but I'm weighing out the pros and cons of having the laptop with me.

Thanks!

Another option not mentioned thus far is the FREE use of carnival site. You can register for the funville forums and also set up for family an acct there as well.

In the User groups sub cat currently on board both those on the ship and at home can leave messages for each other.

This is FREE service and if you have your own laptop you can use it in your stateroom.

The free is ONLY for CCL site and John Heald's blog.

On another note connection speed is very slow and if you have a plan or per minute you are charged for connection time. The best example I have seen is this ... say you check e-mail and spend 3 minutes checking but it takes you 22 minutes connecting. That means you have used 25 minutes billable minutes.

Hope this helps.

Another option not mentioned thus far is the FREE use of carnival site. You can register for the funville forums and also set up for family an acct there as well.

In the User groups sub cat currently on board both those on the ship and at home can leave messages for each other.

This is FREE service and if you have your own laptop you can use it in your stateroom.

The free is ONLY for CCL site and John Heald's blog.

On another note connection speed is very slow and if you have a plan or per minute you are charged for connection time. The best example I have seen is this ... say you check e-mail and spend 3 minutes checking but it takes you 22 minutes connecting. That means you have used 25 minutes billable minutes.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! This was exactly what I was looking for. I saw the fees on Carnival's website $55 for 100 minutes. My thoughts were that if I logged in each day to send a quick email that I shouldn't have any problems. But if it took that long to connect, then forget about it.

I do like the suggestion to use Carnival's website. I hadn't thought about that and it just might work!

Thanks all for the feedback!

Archived